Using injectors

Options
olivier
olivier Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Apr 2009, 07:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,

I am new to this forum, so apologies if this is not the usual type of post that is on here. I am just on here, because I have been struggling with the injector pen I am using and wondered how other people find the injectors they are using and how they live with the whole injector process.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to the site! I have OA so don't use the medication you have to, but others on here do, so soon someone well be along who has the type of experience your looking for.

All I will say, though is I'm sure, given time, instruction and encouragement, I'm sure you'll get there in the end. Love Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Olivier,

Can't help with your question 'cos I take Mtx tablets but someone will be able to help you..............I just wanted to say 'Hello' and glad you've found the forum.

Take care.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Olivier,
    I also can't help you but just wanted to say Hi and I hope you find the site useful. Take care
  • pussycat
    pussycat Member Posts: 36
    Options
    I have RA and inject methotrexate I use a syringe and I was shown how to by RA nurse.

I have had few problems but my nurse told me if I did have a problem with the injections to give her a ring and she would certainly help.
    Also my local health centre nurse offered to help if I had problems as it is very important that I have my weekly methotrexate dose.

I would give your Rheummy nurse a ring and she can offer advice, or arrange for someone else to administer the injection.

:D My 14 year old has given me the injection a couple of times when I have suffered a bad flare up.

I find the syringe is easier for me and for other people to give the injection on a bad day. I was offered a pen but have stuck with the syringe, because I find it less hassle. :)
  • sophiiee
    sophiiee Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Heyyy im on Methotrexate and have it injected each week. but to be honest i really hate it! and it hasnt helped me either really..
    just wondering.
    whats the pen like ? how does that work ?[/b]
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    If you find it very difficult to inject yourself, could a nurse at your GPs pactice do it for you. I know its good to be independant, but it must be hard to stick a needle in yourself :!: It its only once a week surely that could be arranged. It may be, given time, you'd get used to the idea, and be able to manage injecting yourself :) .
    Love Sue
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    hi, i also weekly self inject mtx. i have had no problems with this unless i think about it!
    i have to just get the injection ready and do it quick! i hate the feeling of taking the needle out and i will admit feeling sick after but i don't know if thats a side effect or just my bodies way of coping. like i said worse if i think about it. i also get abit panicky before hand but thats why i try to do it quick.
    i guess in our minds it's wrong to be pricking ourselves but i'm doing ok, so thats ok.
    speak to a nurse if you are struggling as i'm sure it's best to get help rather than worrying about it.
    sorry i'm not much help but it's a subject i find it better to not think about.
    sorry
    sue
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    HI and welcome. I am on anti-TNF which I inject weekly with a syringe. Don't like it but it's better than the alternative...my wheelchair again!! Each time I do it I think well for a few seconds discomfort it is more than worthwhile. Hope you get the answers and advice you are looking for on here.
    Good luck
    Kate
  • poppy30
    poppy30 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi,
    I used to inject Humira using the pens and whist I didn't look forward to doing it I could manage these better than the syringes as I'm not a fan of needles!! :shock: Must admit that when my fingers were stiff I did struggle to press the trigger but I had a really positive response to the meds so this wasn't a problem for long. :D
    Previous to the pens I used to go to my GP's surgery and asked the nurses to administer my meds :oops: as I was too scared to use the syringe myself and didn't like the thought of having to ask my partner to do it (trying to keep independence and all that!! :? )

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Poppy x
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    To be honest I thought I would struggle but am coping well with them, I don't like doing it mind, I just place it really hard on my stomach and then tap the top and count to 15 the yellow shows by then, one a fortnight I can cope with, would hate to have to do it daily.