If your having neck jabs don't worry.....

Options
skezier
skezier Member Posts: 11,333
edited 20. Mar 2009, 10:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, recently I had some jabs in my neck and I was a bit graphic in my 'I had em' bit but please don't let it worry you as the 1st 3 were fine and it's only too many in one sitting kinda thing! :

Its a week ago today and you know what it's a lot better..... The right hand side has lost all its pins and needles and the left hasn't managed to do a very good spasm and the pins and needles only go to the shoulder blade. So its kinda worked and definitely helped.

It gets its real test, I have some things to undress and as it warms up they need their cardies removed.............Zip's not included....... :lol: My tablets are also meant to enable this 'fashion' show to be easier........... Lets hope eh?

Anyway the jabs are no worse than any other steroid jab really and I don't want anyone to be put off by my post.

Enjoy the sun, it may get colder but they say it will stay dry......... x

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I`m glad that you are feeling some benefits from the jabs!
    Enjoy the sun whilst its here!! 8)
    NB
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Glad your feeling better and the injectionsworked :) . I think its the thought of whats being done that I don't like. I'm wierd, I like to watch and if I can't see whats going on I flinch before I'm touched. :shock: :) Love sue ps Its not fair, we've had a horrible dull, cold day!!!
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Nearly, I should hate to have had em for fun....... No not more details but its good they have helped one arm at least. How painful are the ones in the hip? I got early on set and they are mentioning doing them as well. I see the 'nice' lady next month and have to decide if I have the neck done again........... Have you got a flower petal? You know the 'I will ave em, I will ave em not!' :lol: Take care and its really good news about your daughter :D

Hi Sue, I would also rather see what they are doing as well but with these you really can't. Sorry you had no sun, I will send you some of ours if you could send me some back next time we got rain? :lol: Take care, Cris x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Cris
    I had hips injected years ago and honestly found the local injections more painful than the deeper ones ! It gave me some relief for a while, but didn`t get offered them again.
    I think all procedures like this have unpleasant parts, but hopefully the benefite out weigh those. Good luck on making your choice.
    NB
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi Cris i am to have some neck injections done and if they work I should have some further tretaemnt whatever that is I have had injections before in other joint but never in neck I am also having one in lower spine but neck is worse area do they numb it first and what do they inject do you know and how does it work and how long lots of questioins sorry but am worrying about although it is good to think it might work, thanks Chrisov
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Christov,
    I'm sorry you worrying. I had my lower spine injected long ago now. That one doesn't hurt much and they do spray local on to your skin and inject local in before they do the real ones. Do you know which vertebrae they are doing in your neck?

I think its just the standard cortisone and local the same as the other ones you have. The local is appreciated and in my case when she did the 2nd one I lost the pins and needles from my right shoulder and arm. The left one took a bit more to go the same.

The idea is the local stops it hurting and over time the cortisone calms down the inflammation. It lasts 8 or so weeks but it does weaken in that time. I go back for assessment next month and then they are talking about either temp or permanent de-nerving.

Have they given you options as to what other treatments they have up their sleeves? I was talking to a guy who has the temp de-nerving and from what he said it could be worth having....... I really am not sure about the permanent one!

They have different ways of doing it, some kind doctors sedate you while mine thinks (and possibly rightly) if you can say oww she will have got the right place. She used the word bearable and if you have that kind of doctor know in advance what bearable to you means........ It was ok for the 1st 3 but the next 2 sent me into some kind of 3 year old sobbing syndrome! I'm not sure it hurt more I just think I had enough.

Necks hurt so much eh? Mine took a bit to unswell, and I still don't have the pins and needles on the right and even the left side hasn't done a decent spasm for a week! It had been looked up for 6-7 months before.

It lasts around 10 - 15 mins and they keep you in recovery and wont give you back your clothes for another 3/4 hr and then it's over. It has helped and was worth it to just get rid of the spasms and pins and needles. If you got any questions please ask me, and don't worry about them as they are ok..... I promise. Take care, Cris
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Cris
    I had hips injected years ago and honestly found the local injections more painful than the deeper ones ! It gave me some relief for a while, but didn`t get offered them again.
    I think all procedures like this have unpleasant parts, but hopefully the benefite out weigh those. Good luck on making your choice.
    NB

Thanks Nearly, I shall put it on my things to ask/do list :lol:
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Skezier perhaps we should change your name to nervesofsteel
    Glad to hear your getting some benefit from the injections
    Colin
  • skezier
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Skezier perhaps we should change your name to nervesofsteel
    Glad to hear your getting some benefit from the injections
    Colin

Thanks Colin, thats not a bad name change, if slightly untrue! Most people I know change my name to ways that interfere madness and insanity! :) I not sure it that actually is slightly untrue........... :lol: x
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi Chris thanks for that info that has really helped me a lot and not to worry you hear tales of long needles etc
    I am to have facet injections to freeze the cervical spine partiucarly at level C3-6 and C 9-10 and should there be a significant result a more permanet procedure will be considered directed toward the nerves which innovate the facet joints.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I had both my wrists injected with steriods into the joint and I'd heard tales, but it wasn't as painful as a dental injection. They sprayed something that was very cold onto the skin first, which made it very numb. The doctor asked if I'd like to come back in 2 weeks for the other wrist, but it was so easy, I let him do them both together. Hope yours go well. Sue
  • skezier
    Options
    hi Christov,
    You and I seem to be in the same kinda of boat. I had in C2- C6 for the same kind of reason. They may be long needles I don't know cus your face down on a face ring and you really don't see a thing. When I was given a break I only saw the x-ray screen..... I found that interesting but also made me think if they really wanted to they could get my discs out...... :lol:

I will ask them about freezing, it sounds better than the denerving thing! My Rumo did say he may be willing to operate even though its a mess....... I see him in a couple of weeks and will see if the jabs have made a big enough improvement to temp him. I really do think of surgery as a good idea as the neck pain is endless and grinding, and it gets you down. He was only talking about a bit of bone chipping and a laminectomy so nothing major. Mind on the right side the jabs have eliminated pain almost completely, the left is fight back, but it is worse side.

I'm also going to ask about the electric shock nerve knock out. I was talking to a guy in recovery and he has that for his lumber. It sounds ok, and he said it really works.......... and doesn't hurt! :)

Let me know when you are having them and I promise you you don't see a thing and they are not that bad. A lot of people are knocked out with sedative. You take care, Cris

Hi Sue,
    That's good to know as my wrists and hands are also on the jab list and I was wondering how much they hurt. It's nice to hear they are no big deal. I did see somewhere you can only have so many...... I have loads and wondered what the limit actually is and why? Anyway Sue you take care x