Did anyone else see it?

Options
Jeannie
Jeannie Member Posts: 29
edited 20. Mar 2009, 15:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,
Did anybody else see the One Show this evening? There was an item on Lymes Disease. Having looked up the facts on the internet, I am beginning to wonder if this is what I have. Lots of people have been misdiagnosed with RA, Lupus and all sorts of other things when this is what they have. The poor girl who was interviewed was in a wheelchair.

Sounds daft I know but I used to go abroad on holiday two or three times a year and finished up with large bites and sores on the backs of my legs. The locals, who we knew well, always said it was the sun, until it happened one year to them. They found that animals were being transported on the local ferry and their doctor told them their sores were tick bites. Thankfully I have photos of the bites and the associated inflamation, so I’m going to make enquiries about it, because none of the medication I have been taking for RA has had the slightest affect on my condition. It’s worth looking into.
Jeannie S

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jeannie,
    Lyme's can be done with a blood test, I was tested cus of playing with sheep. It was negative and the tick that causes it are quite rare in the UK at least. It is particular tick that carry it and it is fairly rare but if your worried have a chat to your gp and see what they think. Take care, Cris
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Jeannie
    I saw the programme and I wondered whether doctors are aware of Lymes disease too. I know someone who had it. He goes shooting quite frequently, so is often walking in long grass etc. He was very ill for ages, and they even thought he might have cancer of some sort. It seemed a long time before they discovered what it was, and gave him the correct treatment. Luckily, he made a full recovery.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    hi Jeannie
    I didn`t see the programme but if you feel it could be lymes, its definately worth checking out. I hope you find something that can improve things for you, it sounds like you`ve had a bad time of it lately.
    Nicola
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    I'd had RA for nearly 10 years when my rheumy asked whether I'd ever been to the New Forest. Strangely enough I'd been just about 10 years earlier.

He thought I could have been bitten by a tick and Lymes disease was a possibility.

That was nearly 40 years ago.

Patrick
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jeannie,
    I promise you it is VERY unusual. With modern farming as it is most animals no longer harbour ticks and those that do are most unlikely to be a Lyme's Tick, there is more chance in some bits than others and if your worried get your self checked for it. I know you have been having a bad time of it lately and I really hope they can get on top of it and help you before too long. (()) for you and take care. Cris

Joan,
    As to the picking up on the Lyme's in areas where it is more likely they are very quick to do the teats. it was one of the first things they checked for with me. They also did a lot of other things like Veils disease Orph and bovine TB! I think your friend was very unlucky to not have the connection discovered quicker.

The old advice was if your in an area where Lyme's is known to be and get bit by a tick tell your gp. If it's still attached take the tick with you as they are slightly different. I only know the worst place is The New Forest and we have some areas here. If you hike ask Defra..... They should be able to tell you where its known to be.
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Goodness this is frightening.
    I used to spend most weekends in The New Forest in our caravan, we then moved there and lived there for 3 years. One weekend I got a tick in the top of my left leg, the whole thing came out without a problem. I now live in the Midlands so my GP may not have seen any connection, it is my left leg that gives me the most pain.
    I'm now going to see if I can find The One Show on BBC's iplayer.
    I'm at the hospital Monday, I think I will ask what the chances are of me having Lymes disease as I have at least a 20 year connection to The New Forest. They will probably think I'm nuts but hey what the heck at least it will put my mind at ease if they do test for it. I bet half the patients that they see who have seen The One Show will be asking the same.

Rita X
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Go for it Rita - you have nothing to lose!
    and DO let us know what happens.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • brian35
    brian35 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Our French friend got it walking in the local forest where there are a lot of deer. It took a long while to get rid of it.
  • julies
    julies Member Posts: 68
    Options
    My mum phoned me last night after watching this programme, she was so worried as the symptoms were the same as Sams.
    I was able to reassure her as it was one of the first tests that they gave him and if came back negative.
    I do believe if you are at all worried then contact your doctor and have a test done.
    I've learned from experience that if I am concerned about anything I push and push until I get the results I want. :wink:
    julie