Skin Pain!

Options
pollyb
pollyb Member Posts: 10
edited 20. Mar 2009, 13:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am having lots of pain on the surface of my skin around my thigh and hip area. Its very strange, on the surface not deep in the joint.

Anyone any idea what it could be.

I have PA, take mtx and lufludomide.

thanks

Pauline

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pauline
    There was a post not long ago which sounded similar.
    We were all talking about feeling sore like a bruise, but not even inthe joint. You'de have to have a look back through some of the older posts to find it.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Toni x
  • mazza1961
    mazza1961 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    pollyb wrote:
    I am having lots of pain on the surface of my skin around my thigh and hip area. Its very strange, on the surface not deep in the joint.

Anyone any idea what it could be.

I have PA, take mtx and lufludomide.

thanks

Pauline

I experienced surface skin pain like that following my right hip replacement 3 years ago. But the pains were in my left (unoperated) thigh and hip area. It felt like what I would imagine shingles to be like (I've never had shingles so just assuming). The nurses in the hospital didnt seem to know what it was and said it sounded like it was nerve related. Despite strong painkillers which helped the operated hip, did nothing for this strange unknown pain I was getting in the left unoperated leg. Couldnt bear anything like sheets, clothing touching the skin there.In fact it was more distressing than the actual hip replacement op on the right hip. :?
    Just as mysteriously as it arrived, that surface skin pain disappeared after a few weeks and hardly been back thankfully.

Not much help I know but thought would share my experience. :|
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't really know, but my first thought is shingles? Or an allergy, but that would be all over the skin. Sorry not really sure. :? :) Maybe an inflamed surface nerve? Hope it soon goes! :wink::) Love SUE
  • sheba2
    sheba2 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there

I haven't been on here for ages but thought I would look in again. I get this type of skin pain a lot and in quite a few areas. At the moment I have it mainly on my lower abdomen but upper arms and legs are very common places. It feels like there ought to be a fresh bruise and the pain is quite localised and definately in the skin and dare I say it fat layer or layers as in my case. As I am still waiting two years on for a diagnosis and at the moment my rheumy is going back to fybromyalgia (see my own post) I am presuming these are just tender points but who knows.

Anyway I hope whatever it is it goes soon.