Newbie needs advice

Options
franki
franki Member Posts: 20
edited 20. Mar 2009, 16:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,

I have problems with inflammatory arthritis - I have been on sulfasalazine for nearly a year and have just had my dose increased from 2g a day to 2.5g a day for one week, moving to 3g a day thereafter. I am feeling really sick with this increased dose. Does anyone have any advice on how to help with the nausea and headaches?

I also take plaquenil, 200mg a day, plus naproxen and omeprezol.

Thanks
franki

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Franki
    Welcome to the forum from me.
    I am on plaquenil, but not on sulpha so I can't help much other than to sympathise.
    Others here WILL be on it and have some advice for you later though I'm sure.
    Have you thought about ringing the rheumy nurses?? Just a thought. Bet like me you don't like to trouble anyone eh?!
    Take care
    Toni
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi franki

Welcome. Sorry to hear that you are not feeling that great with the increase in your meds.

Would your gp prescribe an anti-sickness drug to help ?

Hope you find a solution,

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Franki

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are having problems have you spoken to your Rheummy there are so many drugs out there to try so it would be a shame to feel so ill if theres another one out there that your body could cope with better. I felt really ill on sulpha but since changing to methotrexate I have felt alot better but I know theres alot of folks on here that methotrexate didn't agree with. I think its all trial and error.

debs
  • franki
    franki Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I will speak to the GP who increased my dose early next week if things have not settled down, maybe she will give me something to help with the nausea. I'm not due to see my rheummy until June, though the GP did say she would try to get me an earlier appointment as my joint and tendon pains seem to be getting worse. :cry:
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Franki, just wanted to welcome you, I was on Sulpha some years ago, I luckily didn't get any side effects, but it affected my blood counts so I had to come off of it, hope you feel better soon love Jaspercatxx