When's the best day to start methotrexate?

Options
rosiecat
rosiecat Member Posts: 13
edited 22. Mar 2009, 19:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi all
I saw my rheum today, had the appt brought forward as struggling at the moment. She has added methotrexate to my sulfasalazine, I'm not sure when to start it though. I didn't have too much trouble when started sulfa but just in case I wondered how quickly the side effects start? I work part-time at the start of the week and volunteer at school at the end of the week, though to be honest I'd rather miss work due to side effects then miss school (don't tell my boss!) Any advice?
Thanks

Comments

• mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    rosiecat wrote:
    hi all
    I saw my rheum today, had the appt brought forward as struggling at the moment. She has added methotrexate to my sulfasalazine, I'm not sure when to start it though. I didn't have too much trouble when started sulfa but just in case I wondered how quickly the side effects start? I work part-time at the start of the week and volunteer at school at the end of the week, though to be honest I'd rather miss work due to side effects then miss school (don't tell my boss!) Any advice?
    Thanks

Hi Rosiecat
    I know we are all different but I didn't get any side effects with the methotrexate. You are usually given folate to take the next day to try and reduce any problems. Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon
    Gill 8)
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Rosiecat, I was on MXT tablets but due side effects, I kept feeling sick and really tired, I was put on to injections, I find these much better but you have to take the tablets at first, I chose to take mine on a saturday, so if I felt rough I had the weekend to recover, but it is up to you really, good luck with everything love Jaspercatxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi rosiecat

If you you like an alcoholic beverage on a certain day it is best not to take metho on that day.

Some people take it at night so are asleep for a good few hours after taking it.

Hopefully you will not get any side effects but if you would prefer to miss work, the beginning of the week may be best for you!! On the other hand you could take it at the weekend, but you may prefer to not take a chance that you may feel a bit iffy if you like to be busy then.

It should be taken the same day every week but if necessary it can be taken either the day before or the day after.

I am sure you will chose a day that suits you best.

I wish you all the best,

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi rosiecat

If you you like an alcoholic beverage on a certain day it is best not to take metho on that day.

Some people take it at night so are asleep for a good few hours after taking it.

Hopefully you will not get any side effects but if you would prefer to miss work, the beginning of the week may be best for you!! On the other hand you could take it at the weekend, but you may prefer to not take a chance that you may feel a bit iffy if you like to be busy then.

It should be taken the same day every week but if necessary it can be taken either the day before or the day after.

I am sure you will chose a day that suits you best.

I wish you all the best,

Elna

Sounds like excellent advice to me. That's exactly what I do. f010.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • jenniet
    jenniet Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I was on sulphasalazine and also had mtx added - about 7 months ago now - I've had no problems so don't necessarily expect them! I also feel a whole lot better. Good luck!
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi Rosiecat
    I take mine on Sat evening just before bedtime, that gives me Sunday to relax before work on Monday. The main side effect that I am having is nausea, but that can be managed.
    Good luck and pick a day that suits you and hopefully you won't have any side effects and it helps you feel better. Fay
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Rosie,

I take mine on a Tuesday morning as I like a glass of wine or three at the weekends and don't have any alcohol during the week. I also work from home, therefore if it makes me feel ill I just rest till I feel better - although in saying that my side effects (vommiting and headaches) only happened at the beginning and then settled down.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • poppy30
    poppy30 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi Rosie,

I used to take Mtx on a Friday evening just before bed.... then I could have a lie in on Saturday if needed! :lol:
    If I had any big social events on the weekend I'd just move it to Thursday evening :wink: ....I was fortunate not to experience too many side effects and taking it just before bedtime worked for me.

Good Luck!

Poppy x
  • rosiecat
    rosiecat Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, it's been really helpful and reassuring. I think I am going to go for a Monday evening as I have 2 young children so feeling unwell at the weekend would be a disaster! Fingers crossed I won't have any problems.

I had the prescription dispensed at my local chemist today and they were obviously training a new assistant, she was going to give me enough to take daily and couldn't understand when told they had to be all 2.5 mg tabs! I don't think her maths was up to much though and they took ages sorting it out and confused the pharmacist so much he missed the folic acid so I had to go back for it, took nearly an hour!
  • sophiiee
    sophiiee Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Heyyy ive been on methotrexate a year now. started as tablets now injections. i have mine every monday M[/u]ethotrexate on M[/u]ondays. lame i know... Lol
    i had a folic acid every friday before that monday now i take more that one folic a week.
    hope it does more for you than it has done for me! x
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi there, if you're going to have blood tests being on the MTX - you might already with the Sulphasalsine (sp!!) - then maybe considering timing the test with when you'll take it. I take my MTX on Friday evenings before going to bed for 3 reasons really:

1 - hopefully if it does make me feel icky I'll be asleep so will sleep through the worst of it, also having it after our evening meal I feel as if I've lined my stomach nicely if you know what I mean!

2 - if I am feeling tired the next day I'll have my husband around to help with the kiddiwinks (2 under the age of 4!)

3 - I have my blood tests on Friday mornings when my MTX levels should be at what my rheum calls 'trough levels' i.e. at it's lowest.

This seems to work ok for me but the only thing I have noticed is that waiting until late in the evening often means Friday afternoons are quite tough pain and discomfort wise.....I suppose because the MTX is at its lowest level - as a result I might start to take it early eveing and see whether I suffer side effects or not - at tehmoment I'm none the wiser because I'm asleep!

I take my Folic Acid on Sunday mornings as I was told to take it two days after my MTX by by rheum nurse.

Hope you find a regime that works for you!

Ju x