I am driving again...

Options
petmad
petmad Member Posts: 252
edited 27. Mar 2009, 18:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday and today I drove for short distances. I have a memory foam seat cover on and extra support at the neck part of the headrest. I have discovered muscles I did not know existed.

I was shocked to count it is actually 17 months since I worked or drove a car, my goodness what a long time. I lost most of it to a sea of pain and sleeping due to my medication. It is so nice to get part of my life back...or perhaps I should say I have the opportunity to build a new life.

I know things will never be the same, I have hand splints, day and night ones. It will be 18 months before I know how much the nerve damage in my left arm and the weakness to the left arm and leg will recover. It is probable I will need either a stick or a crutch due to right knee and hip problems and I have just had the moulds taken for my insoles.

I know that folk here will realise I really mean it when I say I don't care...I am just so happy to feel an improvement in my health and to feel I am regaining some control over my future.

Another big plus...over the last 3 weeks, since my op I have lost 10lbs in weight, I realise this is probably the biggest loss and the pounds will trickle off from now on...but it is progress. Linda

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Linda

A good news story :) I bet you feel like a new women, the extra freedom you will have when you can drive yourself even for a short distance is so good. What another plus, losing 10lb, was it hard to do I would love to lose a few. You must feel like super woman right now, well done :):)

Love
    Vonski x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Linda,
    Thats good news, I hope the nerve damage is less than you thingk as well. You've done so well in just 3 weeks and I really am pleased for you. Take care, Cris
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hi Linda
    Well done you on that weight loss!!! That will doubtless help a lot :wink:
    Well done for driving again too. I know how wonderful it is to be free again.
    Good on you
    Love
    Toni x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Linda
    Its so good to see positive posts, and i'm really happy for you.
    Colin
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    It must feel really great to get your indepenance back! I know how I miss my car, if I haven't got it for a few days :!: :D Love Sue
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    That`s really great to be back in the driving seat!! And the weight loss too, fantastic. Enjoy your new found freedom :D
    NB
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Linda,

How wonderful for you and how liberating - the only thing I drive is other people up the wall :roll: :wink: Enjoy your feedom, indepedence and better health.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi
    How lovely to get back a bit of your life. You appreciate it all the more when you have been deprived of it, I think. Good luck for the future
    Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • petmad
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. I am still only doing short distances, but am getting more confident and relaxed.
    Toni not big secret to the weight loss :roll: I eat less :lol: . All the dietitians will gnash their teeth, but when I was younger I never ate in the morning, I had fruit juice, coffee and water then usual meals and also treats. I have gone back to that routine, I doubt if I will lose weight at such a high rate from now on, but am going to continue this routine as I feel better in myself. Made my weigh in day on a Thursday so keeping my fingers crossed the weight loss continues. Linda
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Well done Linda - hope you continue to progress.

Wendy
  • weetabix
    weetabix Member Posts: 43
    Options
    well done Linda i hope it continues for you..
    take care
    Weetabix
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    That's great, it sounds like you are approaching it in the right manner. I bet it feels great to finally have some more independence. I remember after my sections, that feeling of having to wait until my hubby got home to take me somewhere. It made me feel so dependent on him. I hope everything keeps going well and you can get back to a degree of normality soon. xx Oh and well done on the weight loss, it's so hard to get motivated but you've provedyou can do it.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    That's great, it sounds like you are approaching it in the right manner. I bet it feels great to finally have some more independence. I remember after my sections, that feeling of having to wait until my hubby got home to take me somewhere. It made me feel so dependent on him. I hope everything keeps going well and you can get back to a degree of normality soon. xx Oh and well done on the weight loss, it's so hard to get motivated but you've provedyou can do it.

Hi Linda
    it's great isn't it that feeling when suddenly you become independant after not being for such a long time. Enjoy it. (you missed driving when the petrol prices went sky high :wink: )

Well done for losing weight too. Hope things continue to go well for you. d045.gif
    luv Gillx
  • petmad
    Options
    Well did not lose any more weight this week, but did not put any back on so thats ok.
    A fly in the ointment re my independence :roll: I can't get the cap off the fuel tank, not depress the handle on the pump so dependant on having someone with me, however have now been told bu a garage I filled up in that I have just to give them a shout and someone will come out and help me. Linda