Books on RA....

Options
ramummy
ramummy Member Posts: 100
edited 23. Mar 2009, 07:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there, hope you are all having a nice weekend.

I was just wondering if anyone had read any books about RA that they would recommend - I was diagnosed in Oct/Nov 2008 and have been hoovering up information since then to try to understand as much as possible what is happening to me. I got a book with '100 questions' in the title but the authors are American so some of the information, particularly relating to treatment and drug names might not be the same as here in the UK.

I've got loads of Arc leaflets from my fab Rheum unit at our local hospital but they are a bit repetitive and obviously not very big.

Thanks very much.

Ju x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 22. Mar 2009, 04:06
    Options
    Hi Ju

I know you mean books with facts on RA but for lighter reading why not get hold of Alice Peterson's book, a Will to Win. At the age of 18 she had been awarded a tennis scholarship to America and was about to sign a contract when she experienced pain in her right hand. Three months later she was diagnosed with RA. It is a very moving book about the drastic changes she had to make, at such a young age, to her life. As soon as I started to read this book, I was hooked and could not put the book down.

She has just published a sequel called Another Alice, which I have not read but I shall very soon.

Take care
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What a brilliant idea!
    Never thought aboutreading books - only leaflets!!!
    If you get only other decent titles be sure to let us know
    Ta!
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    That sounds like something worth reading. Thanks for the tip, I'll look it up. Lov Sue
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    I have a book I have read called Living with rheumatoid arthritis by Phillipa Pigache. It covers types of Ra, meds and gives stories of people with Ra. I found it a good book as a starting point.

You could also try ringing the helpline and asking if they have any reccomendations or try nras as thery may have an approved book list.

Also amazon let you browse books contents online and read customer reviews on books.

Hope you find what you are looking for. I would be interested to know if you find a good book.

Deb
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies - will def look into those titles recommended. :D

Jux