Driving after TKR

Options
brian35
brian35 Member Posts: 58
edited 26. Mar 2009, 18:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone please advise on the position regarding driving after a TKR. Do you have to have clearance from your consultant at your 6 week follow-up appointment, does it have to be in writing, and if so do you have to copy it to your insurance company or advise them?

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    According to nhs24.com

Driving can normally be resumed when the knee can bend enough to allow getting in and out of a car easily, and when muscle control is good enough to allow proper car control. Most people are able to resume driving about four to six weeks after a knee replacement.

Last paragraph on http://www.nhs24.com/content/default.asp?page=s5_4&articleID=501&sectionID=26

As regards notifying your insurance, if in doubt ask them or read the small print in your policy. b075.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hi Brian
    My Dr said (after my back surgery) when you can stamp your foot really hard on the floor (as in emergency stop). Really worth thinking about eh?
    Your previous advice was probably more accurate though!
    Hope you are fit enough very soon - I miss my car the mopst of everything is I am not fit
    Take care
    Toni x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Brian

The ability to transfer right foot from accelerator to brake pedal does not usually recover to pre op levels for 8 weeks after a right TKR. This does not apply after a left TKR.

If your left knee was replaced and you have an automatic you may be able to begin driving in a week or so, provided you are no longer taking narcotic pain meds but remember that so soon after the op, your reflexes may not be as sharp as before your surgery.

I believe the ruling is it is ok to commence driving once the limb is "satisfactory" but the term is not defined.

It is down to the individual, to feel confident enough to perform an emergency stop before starting to drive again.You could ‘test’ yourself with another licensed driver in an empty car park or quiet street first.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • brian35
    brian35 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Does anyone know what the rules are for getting a temporary Blue Badge after a TKR? I asked at the Hip & Knee Group meeting and, I think, at the pre-op and the view was that you are not entitled to a disabled parking permit.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Brian

I found this when I did a bit of googling:

"People with temporary disabilities like a broken leg or those with a disabity that does not affect their walking will not be eligible for badges."

Thinking about it, if temporary badges were given out, what a lot more admin work and who would be rushing to return their badges and how long is a piece of string as people vary in recuperation after hip/knee operations.

All the best,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    brian35 wrote:
    Can anyone please advise on the position regarding driving after a TKR. Do you have to have clearance from your consultant at your 6 week follow-up appointment, does it have to be in writing, and if so do you have to copy it to your insurance company or advise them?

Hi Brian

Re driving, I had a left TKR and drive an automatic, but I didn't feel mentally ready to drive till about four weeks after the op, as I was not sleeping well and was still on strong painkillers. I think you have to gauge your own ability and err on the side of caution as it would be dreadful to be in or cause an accident because your physical / mental reactions were below par.

Re blue badge, I looked into this and concluded that I wasn't eligible after a TKR. The main problem I found in the first few weeks after I started driving was that I needed to open the car door to its full extent to get out, and the spaces in lots of car parks don't allow for this. I became very good at picking spots with extra space!

What I did do was contact the manager of my local supermarket (Waitrose), explain my problem and ask if I could have temporary permission to park in a disabled bay. He was very helpful and agreed to this, asking me to put a notice on the car dashboard whenever I did this with his name and the date of our conversation. I did this and it was a real help. Obviously once I didn't need the extra space I stopped using the disabled bays.

Worth a try?

Wendy
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    brian35 wrote:
    Does anyone know what the rules are for getting a temporary Blue Badge after a TKR? I asked at the Hip & Knee Group meeting and, I think, at the pre-op and the view was that you are not entitled to a disabled parking permit.

Who can have a Blue Badge?

You are automatically eligible to apply for a badge if you are over two years old and either:

* receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
    * are registered blind
    * receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement

You may also be eligible for a badge if you are over two years old and either:

* have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk, or which makes walking very difficult
    * drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them)
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/Bluebadgescheme/DG_4001061

Note the comments on DLA, Higher Rate of Mobility and the words permanent and substantial disability.

I have read that there are temporary 1 year BBs available in Scotland in exceptional circumstances.
    But.......most likely a020.gif

Joseph
    8)
    Josephm0310.gif