Diclofenac and abnormal liver function

sunpainter
sunpainter Member Posts: 12
edited 23. Mar 2009, 14:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. Have had to stop diclofenac this week ... after already stopping sulfasalazine due to abnormal liver function tests 4 weeks ago. Finally got rid of rash and 6 wk headache, but joints now going haywire. Waiting for thursdays steroid injection to make some difference. Have to wait till normality resumes before I can be started on Mtxate. Has this happened to anyone here?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sunpainter
    No not happened to me - you poor poor thing! OUCH!!
    I do hope your liver function returns to normal very very soon.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Hi, I'm not on the same medication as you but for the past three months I've had abnormal liver function tests.I've been having blood tests done each month to try to get to the bottom of the problem and have been tested for thyroid,renal,fbc,bone and several other things and those have all come back OK.I have had an ultrasound scan done and also a CT scan and both shows the liver as normal.I am waiting for the last blood results which I get this Wednesday so whether those will give a reason for the abnormal LFT I will have to wait and see.I did read somewhere that an abnormal LFT is quite 'normal' for some people. Some anti inflamatory tablets can cause a disturbance with LFT. I wouldn't worry too much.If I get any more info from my GP on Wed. I will let you know. Take care, Breane.
  • sunpainter
    sunpainter Member Posts: 12
    Well my LF was normal before starting sulfa (when I was on diclofenac previously). Then went haywire with added benefit of horrible rash and splitting headaches. But still hasn't come down completely after 6 wks of being stopped. Bit of benefit from last week's steroids. The really scary thing is I know I can't take any anti inflamatories at all, as my consultant says they have similar effect on liver. Really hope I can get on Mtx soon. (never thought I would be saying that)

I wish I had asked how abnormal the results were this time... I always forget to ask something.