Hip injections & resurfacing

Options
penfactor
penfactor Member Posts: 366
edited 24. Mar 2009, 04:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone :)
I would really like to hear about peoples experiences with this as my company doctor has recommended it however my hosp consultant says I am much too young at 50 to have it. I am having my second hip injection on Thurs, though, as am at the moment unable to do my job. Also since the last injection wore off last december, my hip is now considerably worse than ever.
Pennie X

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, Sorry, I have'nt had the surgery, but I think their will be people of our age (I'm 53) who've had this done. They will we able to help you more. Sorry you're having problems. I have oa in my right hip and spine. Sue
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I have recently had my first hip replacement aged 40. It was initially discussed re hip resurfacing, as this can be offered to younger patients. But as I have bilateral hip dysplasia, the consultant would not resurface my hip as the acetabulum was abnormal shape and not worht resurfacing a wrong shaped joint. (hope that makes sense)
    From what I researched, it is a slightly less invasive/destructive to joint operation. There is a poster on here (scorpiojackie) who had a resurfacement last year, maybe she will be able to give you more information.
    Hope the injections go well.
    NB
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    hi, don't know if i will be of any help, but i had a hip resurfacing done about 5 yrs ago. i had it done at guys hospital and the whole experience was very good considering it was a op!!
    although i still had pain after it which was almost certainly due to the RA sneaking up on me!
    it made movement of my hip much better and recovery is not to bad at all.
    please feel free to message me if i can be of any help.
    sue