Steroid Injection

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 1. Apr 2009, 07:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Had a steroid injection (my first) last Tuesday. I did notice some improvement in some joints, and have managed to cut back on the Cocodamol. My left knee had been really bad, I couldn't put my weight on it - it has improvedbut is still really painful whe I first get up and after I've been sitting awhile. Also a couple of fingers are still quite painful.

So what I'm wondering is would you agree the injections give some relief but not 100%?

Is the way you respond to injections indicative of how you may respond to methotrexate?

Is it foolish to think I may become pain-free in future?

Jackie x

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    Glad you are finding some improvements after the steroids. Its a long time now since I had a steroid injection, but think it helped somewhat, but not relieving all my symptoms.
    Sorry can`t advise re metho`
    NB
  • sunpainter
    sunpainter Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Took about a fortnight for mine to kick in last time. But lasted 2 1/2 months ish. Didn't make it all go away (sadly) but much much better when combined with anti inflams. Could even go for proper walks. Hope you feel some benefit soon.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Jackie

I had a steroid injection in my knee and it was very good at reducing the pain to the extent that I didn't need any drugs. However, it only lasted about 6weeks, and I couldn't have another as you can't have too many. I have got OA, not RA, and have been told that I need a knee replacement.
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Jackie

I have always found steroid injections a big help and it seemed to ease the pain within a day or so, but must say my last one 2 weeks ago I thought hadn't worked then the last day or so I have started to feel the benefit and feel in alot less pain, I noticed that sunpainter said it had taken a couple of weeks so that could explain it. I hope you soon start to feel the benefit

debs
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    I have OA in both hips and need a replacement,I had a injection into one hip 4 weeks ago and I have not felt any benefit at all from it at all.
    Good luck with yours
    Denise
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Jackie and there was me thinking you had gone out dancing.
    I take it you are talking about the one in your bum not the joint that got last week. do you know how many MG you got, i found it worked well for me but the smallest dose of 80mg never touched me 180mg had me like a new person. I did have the odd twinge but as for pain relief i would say it worked 98% on me for about six weeks. Are you sure your not trying to do to much because you feel a little better. If you overdo things the pain comes back if you take it easy it goes again in a day or so at least thats the way it was with me. I went for my anti TNF appointment today to see if i could start back on the embrel was told wait another 2 weeks. So i asked for the Depot injection but they saud no i have to see the rheumy in two weeks because of the infection i have to see the rheumy in two weeks and he will decide, I have a feeling its going to be a long 2 weeks. Any Jackiedont forget we are all different and it just be be taking a bit longer to work on you fully. Take care
    Colin
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi Colin, Thank you for your message - oooh I wish I had been out dancing :) The dosage I had was 160mg, the nurse said it was a 'good dose'.

Well you guys may be right in saying it may take a bit longer to work on some folk, or maybe longer to work on different joints?
    Perhaps I was expecting too much from it, like an immediate all-over response? Its been one week now, I still have stiff painful fingers and that left knee is painful if moved in certain ways -but I felt brilliant yesterday and this morning :) and a lot of overall general aches and pains have disappeared.

Can anyone tell me if the methotrexate works likethe injection?

Jackie x
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi Colin, Thank you for your message - oooh I wish I had been out dancing :) The dosage I had was 160mg, the nurse said it was a 'good dose'.

Well you guys may be right in saying it may take a bit longer to work on some folk, or maybe longer to work on different joints?
    Perhaps I was expecting too much from it, like an immediate all-over response? Its been one week now, I still have stiff painful fingers and that left knee is painful if moved in certain ways -but I felt brilliant yesterday and this morning :) and a lot of overall general aches and pains have disappeared.

Hi Jackie and all
    I have had steroids into various joints and my spine. Generally they seemed to take a couple of weeks to kick it then i did notice a difference. The one's in my spine were'nt that effective but my back is a complete mess. The one in my knee really improved the situation and has kept the inflammation in check. The general advice given is that they take up to 6weeks to work and that sometimes they make you feel worse before you feel better

Gillx :)

Jackie x
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:

Hi Jackie and all
    I have had steroids into various joints and my spine. Generally they seemed to take a couple of weeks to kick it then i did notice a difference. The one's in my spine were'nt that effective but my back is a complete mess. The one in my knee really improved the situation and has kept the inflammation in check. The general advice given is that they take up to 6weeks to work and that sometimes they make you feel worse before you feel better

Gillx :)

Jackie x

Sorry Jackie i seem to have interupted your ps!! I am on methotrexate which i believe is more of a long term moderator of the disease and also takes some weeks to kick in

Hope you are feeling better soon
    Gill x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Is the way you respond to injections indicative of how you may respond to methotrexate?

Jackie x

I have had steroid injections into joints in the past, which have helped. But, steroids are not methotrexate, which as Mistywillow commented is intended as a long term medication. How you react to different drugs depends on you alone and how it affects just you. People do have some unfortunate reaction to Meth, you may not!

If you don't try it you will never know. But, what is the alternative???

I am sure we all hope for a pain free future.
    There are Arthritic Care courses which people say are very beneficial. Worth a try.k080.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • hezmarie25
    hezmarie25 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:

Jackie x

I have had steroid injections into joints in the past, which have helped. But, steroids are not methotrexate, which as Mistywillow commented is intended as a long term medication. How you react to different drugs depends on you alone and how it affects just you. People do have some unfortunate reaction to Meth, you may not!

There are Arthritic Care courses which people say are very beneficial. Worth a try.k080.gif

Joseph 8)

Hi all
    I had the steroid injections in both my knees, one at time mind about 3 month ago. I had the left one done first and the next day ouch! It did seem to help so I went back and had the right one done. Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!!!! The day after I was in agony and spent the day in a drugged out haze. I have never experienced pain like it (would rather have given birth twice). The left one was ok like I said so I am not sure if something went wrong with the right one or not. After a few days it got better. I would have them again and I would recommend them but wondered how others had felt the day after having the injections. I walked with my knee bent for about 3 days as I could :D not straighten my leg as the pain was very bad. I must say that since having them the pain has not been as bad so like I said I would recommend them. What I also wondered is are they good for hips and back? I asked my gp and he said he would not recommend them for hips/back only knees as it was too risky. Wishing every one well and sending a smile your way

:D Heather x
  • hezmarie25
    Options
    hezmarie25 wrote:
    jackie1955 wrote:

Jackie x

Joseph 8)

Hi all
    I had the steroid injections in both my knees, one at time mind about 3 month ago. I had the left one done first and the next day ouch! It did seem to help so I went back and had the right one done. Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!!!! The day after I was in agony and spent the day in a drugged out haze. I have never experienced pain like it (would rather have given birth twice). The left one was ok like I said so I am not sure if something went wrong with the right one or not. After a few days it got better. I would have them again and I would recommend them but wondered how others had felt the day after having the injections. I walked with my knee bent for about 3 days as I could :D not straighten my leg as the pain was very bad. I must say that since having them the pain has not been as bad so like I said I would recommend them. What I also wondered is are they good for hips and back? I asked my gp and he said he would not recommend them for hips/back only knees as it was too risky. Wishing every one well and sending a smile your way

:D Heather x

whoops that first smiley face should not be in there, silly laptop and 1am mistake xxx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hello Jackie
    sorry i meant to look in on you a couple of days ago, Glad your feeling better and had a couple of good days 160mg yep that should do the job fine. The Methotrexate is a bit different its a long term drug and all they can hope for with it is to put your arthritis into remission or slow it down. For me it took about 12 weeke to kick in and when i first started the gave me the Depot Medrone to ease the pain whilst the Metotrexate went to work on me. Unfortunatley for me the Methotreate stopped working on me after 9 or 10 months but i know some people who have been on it for years and swear its the best thing sinse sliced bread. However the 9 months i got was fantastic almost pain free the whole time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Take care
    Colin
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi Colin, I definitely do feel 'better', thanks for asking :)

I'm still sufferingwith the pain in my left knee though, maybe not as bad as it was before the injection. Its worse when I'm trying to go to sleep in bed, I have to keep moving it to try and find a comfortable position and every time I move it it feels like something 'clicks' inside as if trying to get back into place :?:

Next step in my arthur journey is seeing OT for first time on Tuesday :)

Jackie x
  • hezmarie25
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    I have the same problem when lying down with my right knee. If it is bent and I try to straighten it and kind of locks, then clicks and it bloody well hurts :cry: This can happen a couple of times during the night and has also happened a couple of times when I have been sitting for a while and come to get up.
    It never happened before the injection, I wonder if it could be something to do with the injection?
    mmmmmm got me thinking now.
    Take care of you and keep smiling.
    Heather x
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi Heather,

Your right, it does hurt :x

But just to be clear, I don't think its anything to do with the injection cos I had it before then. I was rather hoping the injection would have eased it a lot more than it has :!:

Jackie x
  • hezmarie25
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    Oh sorry must have misread. Mine has only happened since injection, at least I think it has :D I just put the two together and thought that was the problem, its probably just another stage of the oa then. I have gotten to the stage that I pull a face when straightening my knee because I expect it to hurt. Worse at night tho cos it wakes me up because I have straigtened my knee in my sleep.
    Take care
    Heather
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    hezmarie25 wrote:
    Hi Jackie
    Oh sorry must have misread. Mine has only happened since injection, at least I think it has :D I just put the two together and thought that was the problem, its probably just another stage of the oa then. I have gotten to the stage that I pull a face when straightening my knee because I expect it to hurt. Worse at night tho cos it wakes me up because I have straigtened my knee in my sleep.
    Take care
    Heather

Hi Heather
    My knee was just as you describe, and it woke me up several times every night. Sometimes the pain was so severe that it seemed to shoot down the whole length of my leg. I think it is probably coincidence that yours has developed since you had the injection. An injection in my knee eased the pain, but it only lasted 6 weeks.

Recently, I had arthroscopy,and at first I thought it hadn't improved matters, but I've also had physio and acupuncture, and now the pain in my knee is much better than it was before the op. I'm no longer being kept awake by it, even though I've been told that I have severe OA and will need a knee replacement.
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    Options
    hi jackie hope you feeling better and less painfull

i,m on meth and had a steroid injecton the other week,
    the steroid i think is to give an over all well being feeling,
    and the meth is long term,

I was against steroids as being the size of a elephant i didn,t want to become a whale
    but i,ve changed my mind because of the relief it has give me,

i,ve found i can look after myself better when in less pain so
    i think, twice the benefit
    i that makes sense

i,m sure you'll feel alot less pain as the days goes on
  • trustymick
    trustymick Member Posts: 9
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Had a steroid injection (my first) last Tuesday. I did notice some improvement in some joints, and have managed to cut back on the Cocodamol. My left knee had been really bad, I couldn't put my weight on it - it has improvedbut is still really painful whe I first get up and after I've been sitting awhile. Also a couple of fingers are still quite painful.

So what I'm wondering is would you agree the injections give some relief but not 100%?

Jackie x
    Hi
    My wife had a steroid injection in her bum that did not seem to do much, but the latest on was a gided one into her ankle, that was very good and lasted for about 6 weeks, she also takes oral steroid tablets,
    what makes me wounder is what can the side affects be taking so much,
    today she is not well been very sick and in bed all day, maybe thats the efect of the methotreate
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi Debbie, hi Mick,

Thanks for your messages, I do appreciate your replies.

Isn't it funny (not really :( ) how the meds affect folk so differently?
    Just look at your two messages - so contrasting in their view!
    Debbie saying the meth has helped, and you Mick thinking its making your wife sick - its all so confusing and makes me wonder sometimes apprehensively about how the meth will affect me?

Well, guess I'm gonna find out soon! Just don't relish the idea of spending the next few weeks getting used to drugs and their side-effects - not the way I'd planned to spend my summer :shock:

Jackie x
  • trustymick
    trustymick Member Posts: 9
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi Debbie, hi Mick,

Thanks for your messages, I do appreciate your replies.

Isn't it funny (not really :( ) how the meds affect folk so differently?
    Just look at your two messages - so contrasting in their view!
    Debbie saying the meth has helped, and you Mick thinking its making your wife sick - its all so confusing and makes me wonder sometimes apprehensively about how the meth will affect me?

Well, guess I'm gonna find out soon! Just don't relish the idea of spending the next few weeks getting used to drugs and their side-effects - not the way I'd planned to spend my summer :shock:

Jackie x
    Hi Jackie
    My wife came of mtx (she did not feel well on it)
    but in order for her to have an infusion of retuximab (she has just had that) you have to take mtx (a small dose 5mg)
    my wife is felling a lot better today
    Was it the effects of mtx I dont know (who can say) but it is one of the side affects (this sounds like a murder mistery :lol:)
    everyone will be different hope you don't have side affects
    Trustymick
  • hezmarie25
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    hezmarie25 wrote:
    Hi Jackie
    Take care
    Heather

Hi Heather
    My knee was just as you describe, and it woke me up several times every night. Sometimes the pain was so severe that it seemed to shoot down the whole length of my leg. I think it is probably coincidence that yours has developed since you had the injection. An injection in my knee eased the pain, but it only lasted 6 weeks.

Recently, I had arthroscopy,and at first I thought it hadn't improved matters, but I've also had physio and acupuncture, and now the pain in my knee is much better than it was before the op. I'm no longer being kept awake by it, even though I've been told that I have severe OA and will need a knee replacement.
    Joan

Hi Joan
    I am glad that other people have said they are having the same problem, sometimes I think I am going soft.
    I am adament that I when I go to see the specialist I am going to ask about those other injection the wd40 ones :D I just hope he approves because I have found that different docs approve of different things!!! Very confusing.
    Take care Heather x