Could this be due to low immune system!!

marie48
marie48 Member Posts: 189
edited 23. Mar 2009, 17:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Recently I have noticed I am prone to cold sores, have suffered from it only once in my life. it seems to be re-current, and it has been happening since I have been diagnosed with osteo arthritis, could this be related? My immune system cannot be that low as I am taking super juice everyday. I am using Elizabeth Arden 8 hr protectant cream on my lip, it does not come to a full blown one, but I have noticed that the corner of my mouth is a bit sore, it comes and goes, it is only noticeable if you look closely. Does anybody suffer form cold sores and can offer some advice how to keep it at bay?

It seems to be one thing after another. I have had a very bad week-end. I thought things were better after I had 2 months of manageable pain with no medication. I am not sure whether I have been overdoing things around the house which have triggered the pain again. Regards. Marie

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Marie
    Like you I rarely get them, but when I do they're awful!!
    Every time you smile... :shock:
    My favourite is I think called blistex. As far as diet I should say you're doing all the right things. It's a virus isn't it?
    Maybe some of the other guys will have better advice
    Toni x
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Marie
    Like you I rarely get them, but when I do they're awful!!
    Every time you smile... :shock:
    My favourite is I think called blistex. As far as diet I should say you're doing all the right things. It's a virus isn't it?
    Maybe some of the other guys will have better advice
    Toni x

Hi Marie
    The cold sore virus stays with you once you ve got it, but it lies latent waiting to pop up any time that you are a bit below par. (the sun can bring it out too but somehow i don't think you have to worry too much about that in this country :!: :lol: )
    You can buy an antiviral called zovirax or boots make a similar one themselves. put it on your lip at the start of that tingly feeling and frequently you can prevent the advent of one of those delightful little painful blisters. Hope this helps
    Gill x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Am I right in thinking that emotional upset and stress, physical stress and fatigue can trigger cold sores?

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    elnafinn wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that emotional upset and stress, physical stress and fatigue can trigger cold sores?

Elna

Hi Elna
    you are right and for the same reason, once the little blighter infects you it is with you for ever, but if you are fit and well you keep it in check and there are no external manifestations, but once your body is in any way stressed, up it pops. All our body systems are linked to each other either by hormones or nerves etc which is why when one part goes on the blink another seems to too!!

Gill x 8)
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    hi,cold sores & low immune system. ur proberbly right.
    i have oa & have suffered cold sores,sinus problems & now to see gp for chronic ear ache.(i think the sinus problems r now linked to the earache)i have had tests for sinus but have no infection,just constant runny nose & sores up my nose that then become coldsores.i did a post on this a while ago.
    the coldsores seem to appear when im in chronic pain & im totally run down with pain & stiffness.which then escalates to chronic fataque.so the cycle continues.
    the only thing that i found that works on the sores in my nose is something called virgin V i brought it yrs ago from a beauty party & it worked better than anything else iv tried & touch wood so far they have not reappeared.
    sorry that turned into a long post but hope that it was some help from a fellow sufferer.debsx.