First Hospital appointment & Lymes

Options
ritnew
ritnew Member Posts: 338
edited 24. Mar 2009, 19:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my first hospital appointment today and in a way it was good that I was having a really bad day with the pain, the consultant couldn't examine my knee properly as it hurt so much so he decided I needed an xray to see how bad it had got since the last one which was 6 months ago. It is now so bad that he has put me on the waiting list which I was amazed to find out is only 11 weeks long and can sometimes be as quick as 7 weeks. He explained why I get so much pain in my knee, it's something to do with the nerves that go from your hip to your knee, he couldn't guarantee this would get rid of all the pain. I did also ask him about Lymes disease and he said he would certainly research it but as it was about 15 years ago that I got bitten by a tick and the incubation period is not that long something would of shown up many years ago.
I have to say he was a very nice man who was very understanding about the pain I was in, what I thought was lovely was to be told by this young man that at 57 I was not old.
Just waiting for the date now. Wow this is all going so quickly, I thought I'd be waiting months or years.
Rita X

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rita

Glad you got on so well with your consultant and have now got things moving. You'll be starting the count down for the op :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Sorry you felt c..p, but, as you say, its good in the long run and started things moving :!: :wink: Its also good that you won't have too long to wait (hopefully) :!: Hope you're feeling a bit better today, but I expect yesterday took it out of you, I know it does me when I go to the hospital :oops: . Lots of luck and love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Rita
    Sounds like a productive visit. I am pleased for you.
    That waiting list sounds short. My M-in-law had her hip done last year - the whole lot within 2 months. She lives in Warwickshire and they were sending them home with a team to visit at home in 3 days!!! Wow!.
    She's so back to normal now. Brilliant what they can do isn't it?
    Take care
    Toni x
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks everyone, nervous but also can see a light at the end of the tunnel.
    I'm amazed at how short the list is in this area, fingers crossed I'll be able to enjoy recovering in the sunshine. :D

Rita X
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Rita,
    Glad to hear you had such a positive consultation. Thanks for raising the Lymes issue (seeing as I raised it). Btw I didn't want to alarm anyone - was just interested, because my Chinese orthopaedic man (a friend) said that when my RA flares it's because there is an infection of some sort in my system. When my husband got shingles and I was on mtx, they gave me some anti-viral tablets. While I was taking them I felt better than I had for years - no pain, no stiffness and a lot more energy.
    At least your man didn't just dimiss the question like my rheumy would.
    Wish you the best
    Jeannie