Acupunture reaction

mandy_b1967
mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
edited 16. Apr 2009, 18:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
My 18 year old daughter has had a couple of Acupunture sessions for an undiagnosed back problem. When she had the session on Thursday she had a reaction when the needles were removed. The physio said that she jumped when the needles were removed and said that was an unusual reaction.

I wondered if anyone else has had Acupunture and if you know what this reaction means. It may or may not be relevant but she still has small red marks where the needls went and has had an unset stomach for the last couple of days.

She has another session on Thursday.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Mandy

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    i have only had a small amount of acupunture, the physio placed tiny metal studs onto my ear, they were meant to stay in place for a few days but i found they made me itchy so had to remove them.
    i have a sensitivity to some metals so did wonder whether this could be why?
    i don't know for sure so maybe others could help you more?
    sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I have always enjoyed the feeling after acupuncture - but unfortunately it was never long lasting for me.

I hope your daughter has not been put off going to acupuncture on Thursday. I am sure it was a blip. Presumably the physio is good at administering acupuncture!

I am surprised your daughter jumped when the needles were taken away. I have never felt pain on their removal. I am too relaxed afterwards.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi
    I had acupunture years ago and it made me fell relaxed. After the needles came out I felt a sort of warm glow in waves across my shoulder and back (I had a bad shoulde, not sure of the cause). It was pleasent, and I felt a bit sleepy and absent! #

The acupunture was given by my GP.

Coould your daughter have an allergy to the material the needles are made with? Just a thought. Love Sue
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi Mandy
    I have been having acupuncture for the last 5 weeks, one session a week, and more to come. I'm having it with a physiotherapist on the NHS at my doctor's surgery.

At the first session ,the physio said that she would only use two needlles in my hands to see how I reacted. She said that some people can react badly. I was OK, so since then she has put more needles in at various points in my hands, feet, and thighs. I had Bursitis in my hip,which an injection had not helped at all, plus OA in my knees. Every week, about half an hour after the acupuncture, I feel a wave of tiredness, and usually have a little nap. The physio says this is a common reaction, and shows that it is probably working. My hip is now pain-free and I am walking much better. Whether it is the acupuncture or not, who cares if I seem much better? I would recommend anyone to try it,and the needles haven't hurt at all. I had no reaction like your daughter, but maybe some people do.
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    Thank you for all your help and advice. When my daughter goes to her appointment on Thursday I am going with her and I am now going to ask if she could have an allergy or bad reaction. The first session worked slightly pain wise but she had an itchy back afterwards. The second session hasnt worked at all and she still has a red itchy patch in the bottom of her back where she had one of the needles.

I guess that it doesnt work for everyone but its deffinatly worth a go.
    Mandy
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi i had it a few years ago and yes it did work for the problem , i had about 8 treatments , when i went i could barely stand sit walk or f--t in comfort my whole back was in spasam as well as sciatica i was amazed that it worked but it did , your daughter might have a sensitivity to the metal in the pins , and if that's the case be careful i have had anaphylaxic shock and that's not nice xxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • elaine5000
    elaine5000 Member Posts: 33
    My 18 year old daughter has had a couple of Acupunture sessions for an undiagnosed back problem. When she had the session on Thursday she had a reaction when the needles were removed. The physio said that she jumped when the needles were removed and said that was an unusual reaction.

I wondered if anyone else has had Acupunture and if you know what this reaction means. It may or may not be relevant but she still has small red marks where the needls went and has had an unset stomach for the last couple of days.

Mandy

Hi Mandy

I am unable to have Acupuncture or Reflexology because I am what they call over responsive to the treatment. During my first session I almost passed out so had to be treated with caution. For the next two sessions they used less needles than normal but had to abandon firther sessions after I developed a major Arthritis flare. I didn't have any reaction from the needles, though. Maybe your daughter is allergic to the needles. If this is so it might be worth trying Reflexology instead. It works in a similar way without using needles.

Elaine x
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71

Mandy

Hi,

Have had alot of acupuncture and there is absolutely nothing on the needles so there really isn't anything to create a reaction from the treatment.
    jimmy77