Prednisone not working..

kateby
kateby Member Posts: 4
edited 25. Mar 2009, 18:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am new to the group. I have had arthritis for 8 years. I first started with symptoms after he birth of my second son. After the birth of my daughter 4 years ago the symptoms got a lot worse.

I have been on a combination of Arava 20mg a day and methotextrate once a week, + naprosan daily for the last 12 months. I was totally symptom free. About 4 weeks my arthritis started flaring again. It goes from joint to joint each day, sometimes being in 3-4 joints in a day.

My rheumatologist has suggested adding humira and we are in the process of getting government approval for me to go on it. But in the meanwhile I am flaring badly. I was put on 15mg prednisone and now increased it to 25mg, but I am still getting very little relief.

Are there other options I can try while I wait to get on to the humira? I work fulltime as well as being a mum to 3 kids under 10 and I am really struggling to cope at the moment...

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, pleased to meet you!! I can't help you with the medications as I have oa and do not take the same medication as you. Their are lots of people on the site who can help you, I'm sure. Someone will be along soon. The only thing I can suggest is to put a hot pad or a cold pad on the problem area, that may help take the pain away for a short while. Love Sue
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Hello and welcome :D

I'm surprised they haven't suggested the steroid jab in the bum! That seems to give me great relief when in a flare and lasts a few weeks too.

I take a maintenance dose of prednisolone but I don't see it working quickly enough in a flare.

Good luck with the humira!

Patrick
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Welcome! My goodness, you are wonderwoman. How do you do all that along with numerous joint aches and all that arthritis throws at you

I was going to suggest an increased dosage of prednisone but see you have already done that.

I wish I could advise something that would help but I am at a loss. I only hope that you get on to humira very soon.

Hope today is not too bad for you,

Luv
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kateby
    kateby Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your welcome :)

I have not tried the steroid injection. I am going to call my rheumatologist tomorrow & see if she thinks it may work. I am lucky that she has been great about trying to help keep my arthritis pain under control.

I run my own business, so I have some flexibility with work , but the next 2 weeks are going to be crazy busy and I am getting worried about how I am going to get through it....

I got arthritis at age 31, & I have always had the attitude that it is not going to control my life. I used to cope better with the pain, but when it is flaring like it is at the moment it is hard to keep going....
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Kateby
    Pleased to meet you! and welcome from me :)
    Sorry things rae so out of control for you at the moment.
    I had a steoid jab in my bum once and it knocked those symptoms back good and proper for ages. Give them time to look into the humira.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Aw kateby - you really are having a tough time aren't you? I sympathise with you - I have two little ones under the age of 4 and I was diagnosed in Oct/Nov last year at 32 - it really knocks you for six doesn't it?

I only started DMARDS in Jan of this year so I could breastfeed my youngest (now six months old) but before then I was just on steroids, 15mg prednisolone a day topped up with a steroid jab in the bottom(!) which left me almost symptom free - I had another jab a few weeks ago as 15mg MTX and 10mg prenisolone wasn't doing the trick, I was having terrible trouble with my feet and wrists....anyway, the 2nd jab wasn't the miracle caure that the first one was, I don't know why but I was at least able to walk again!!

As others have said the jab does seem to give relief for a couple of months so maybe that will work for you....
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi
    I find prednisolone only works for part of the day

Talk to your Rheumy nurse and ask about the Depot Medrone injection it the one you get in your bub but gives you good relief for weeks.
    Colin
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    kateby wrote:
    I am new to the group. I have had arthritis for 8 years. I first started with symptoms after he birth of my second son. After the birth of my daughter 4 years ago the symptoms got a lot worse.

I have been on a combination of Arava 20mg a day and methotextrate once a week, + naprosan daily for the last 12 months. I was totally symptom free. About 4 weeks my arthritis started flaring again. It goes from joint to joint each day, sometimes being in 3-4 joints in a day.

My rheumatologist has suggested adding humira and we are in the process of getting government approval for me to go on it. But in the meanwhile I am flaring badly. I was put on 15mg prednisone and now increased it to 25mg, but I am still getting very little relief.

Are there other options I can try while I wait to get on to the humira? I work fulltime as well as being a mum to 3 kids under 10 and I am really struggling to cope at the moment...

Kate,

Starting in the 40-50mgs range which is higher than your at, can work sometimes and scaling it back gradually over a period of 10-12 days. Injections are also an alternative.
    Good luck and keep pushing for relief.

jimmy77
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    kateby wrote:
    I was put on 15mg prednisone and now increased it to 25mg, but I am still getting very little relief.
    You don't say how long you have been on the higher dosage. Prednisone typically does not produce immediate effects and must be used for several days before the needed effect is acheived. It may take much longer before the illness' conditions respond to treatment.

Are you able to get help with the kids to give you a break as these things can build up?

Summertime starts soon p020.gif or is it just another rumour.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif