Pre op appointment

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 26. Mar 2009, 19:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, jsut thoguht I'd let you know I have my pre admission appointment schedued for 2 weeks time for knee arthroscopy.

Nervous but also quite excited about starting to get it sorted finally.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wahay Bailey!!!
    Dead exciting!! You are now on the way to having your op then?!
    Good luck and don't forget to let us all know how you get on.
    Toni x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Bailey

You can now start the countdown :) good luck.

Love
    Vonski x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I`m glad that things are moving forward for you!! :D
    Good luck and keep us posted
    NB
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Good luck, won't be long now.

Rita x
  • brian35
    brian35 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    bailey27 wrote:
    Hi, jsut thoguht I'd let you know I have my pre admission appointment schedued for 2 weeks time for knee arthroscopy.

I would think the op should follow in 2-3 weeks, the date for my TKR did. Like you I am nervous but tell myself it is not going to get better without treatment and many people just cannot get it, so those of us who are getting ops are fortunate.

Best of luck, my pre-op was fairly routine and everyone was very kind and efficient. I was at the hospital about 2 hours and had to have a later visit to see the anaesthetist.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Thats good news :D and exciting. You'll soon be running around :!: All good wishes Sue
  • bailey27
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel so excited people around me cant quite understand - I know you lot will! lol
  • anaabh
    anaabh Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Bailey, congratulations. I'm glad you are feeling so excited!

I'm new to this site and OA. 6 weeks ago I didn't know what the excruciating pain in my knee was and now I have my pre-op assessment next tuesday and my arthroscopy booked for April 21st.

My consultant doubts it will benefit me much but says it's worth a go otherwise my only option is a TKR and I'm only 39!

I have bone on bone contact (whatever that is!) so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Did your consultant tell you how long it takes to recover from this op? Cos I have no idea.

So pleased to have found this site and you all.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Ana :D

Welcome! I have had 3 arthroscopies and they are nothing to worry about. It is also called knee keyhole surgery and is nowhere as invasive as a partial or total knee replacement. A week after the op you will be ok. You need to rest for a few days afterwards. It is day surgery.

I had a total knee replacement in January 2008 and very pleased with the result. My xray before the op also showed bone on bone - that means the cartilage has worn away or is severely damaged due to arthritis. This causes the pain.

I wish you all the best on the 21st. Here's hoping the arthro gives you some relief from pain for a while at least.

Take care
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    Glad to hear that you are all set for your arthroscopy. I had the same op on my knee just before Christmas, and it went very well,except in my case it showed that the OA was much worse than they thought. I now have to decide whether to have a knee replacement.

I hear some people say that recovery after arthroscopy is very quick, but for me it has taken until now (3 months) to feel the benefit. At first, I even thought it had made matters worse because I developed Bursitis in my hip with limping awkwardly. However, I have had physio and acupuncture, and at present I am much better. So now I think the arthroscopy was a good idea.

My advice would be to take things easy for a while afterwards,and not to push yourself too soon,which I think was my mistake.
    Good luck
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    bailey27 wrote:

Best of luck with the arthroscopy. I had two (one on each knee) and both times they were helpful both from a diagnosis point of view and because the surgeon was able to do some 'tidying up' while he was in there which bought me some time before a TKR eventually became necessary. I agree that recovery times vary so don't be too discouraged if any post-op pain lasts longer than you hoped.

I didn't have a pre-op appointment before the arthroscopies but I did have one before the TKR - really important to try and think beforehand of all the questions you want to ask and to write them down as it's easy to forget things in the heat of the moment!

Keep us posted on how it all goes!

Wendy
  • bailey27
    Options
    anaabh wrote:
    Hi Bailey, congratulations. I'm glad you are feeling so excited!

I'm new to this site and OA. 6 weeks ago I didn't know what the excruciating pain in my knee was and now I have my pre-op assessment next tuesday and my arthroscopy booked for April 21st.

My consultant doubts it will benefit me much but says it's worth a go otherwise my only option is a TKR and I'm only 39!

I have bone on bone contact (whatever that is!) so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Did your consultant tell you how long it takes to recover from this op? Cos I have no idea.

So pleased to have found this site and you all.

Hi, I am not sure how long recovery is, some people have told me up to 6 weeks others days. I suppose it will depend what they end up doing in there and how much tidying up is needed. I am hoping it will be just days. One thing I am doing now that it is drawing near is doing more strength exercises on my quads and hamstrings to aid recovery afterwards.
    I am hoping it will do some good as I am just 28 and although it is inevitable I really dont want to be having any invasive surgery for a long long time!
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    I had forgotten you are only 28, so I'm sure your recovery will be much quicker than mine because I am 65. Quite a difference :!:
    Good luck
    Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif