How have others got on with Sulfasalazine as well as MTX?

mylo
mylo Member Posts: 53
edited 27. Mar 2009, 11:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Having been on MTX tablets 20 mgms since last autumn, my rheumy is starting me on Sulfasalazine as well next week. I wondered how others have got on with this? I still have some swelling and stiffness in ankles, knees, shoulders, elbows, wrists, knuckles, and he thinks this extra drug should do the trick, but I'm nervous about taking more drugs .....

Reassurance please!

Jane x

Comments

• rosiecat
    rosiecat Member Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jane

i'm opposite to you in that I've been taking sulfasalazine since last summer and have recently started mtx (last night to be precise!) I too was very apprehensive about taking both but have decided to give it 3 months and see how it goes. I must say I've been feeling quite ill today with nausea and tiredness but will persevere.

Good luck and I hope you get on OK.
  • mylo
    Hi rosiecat

I felt sickly at first with the mtx, but as time's gone by I don't get any nausea at all now. Do you take folic acid, which is supposed to help? I have folic acid six days a week, not on mtx day.

How have you felt on the sulphasalazine? Have you found it OK?

Good luck with the mtx. Jane
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hello
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • rosiecat
    rosiecat Member Posts: 13
    Hi Jane

I didn't have any problems when I started the sulfasalazine, I take 3 tabs twice a day now without any side effects, shame they didn't work completely for me. I do take folic acid with the mtx, although only the day before at the moment. I increased my omeprazole today which seems to have helped with the nausea, I'll give it a couple more weeks and see if a pattern develops and if its definitely the mtx making ill I will see my GP about increasing the folic acid.

Karen
  • mylo
    Hi Karen

Many thanks for the reply.

I'm trying very hard not to get nervous as Friday's appointment is getting closer!

It's strange we've had the same meds given the opposite way round - at first I hated taking mtx, but now see it as my friend and saviour! I don't know how I'd cope without it. I do hope it works as well for you and that the nausea stops soon.

Jane
  • mylo
    Hi Scottish Lass
    Good to hear you've had no side effects with this combination - thanks for the reply. Hope you get on well with anti-TNF if you do go on to that.
    Jane