How long is too long to wait for an operation?

Options
ikesother
ikesother Member Posts: 171
edited 25. Mar 2009, 16:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I'm currently waiting for a date for a THR. I had all my pre op tests, signed the consent forms, xrays etc,then........."were waiting for beds". That was 3 weeks ago. I'm starting to go quietly mad :roll: my family must be getting fed up of me, I'm on red alert for postwoman every day. My 12 week pre op date is next week so it doesn't leave much time to get organised at home, my husband putting leave in at work, and getting my 2 teenagers organised(easier said than done :wink: ) Was wondering what anyone elses experiences were. jk

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi jk
    My experience was pre op done on 13th Jan, then I got a letter 2 weeks before with my op date (23rd feb). I had signed consent etc at pre op like you, so just had to accept the date and hope I didn`t get it cancelled for any reason eg no bed on the day.
    My hubby could only take the day that I went into hospital, as he has no leave left until April. He had used it driving me to appointments in past few months. Childcare was discussed with friends and family in advance, with dates finalised when I knew, but it is a worry making arrangements for when you are not there to oversee everything. Especially if you are a control freak like me!
    Are you able to speak to the surgeons secretary to see if she/he knows anything new?
    I know what you mean re postman watch! Mine doesn`t deliver until mid afternoon either! :roll:
    I hope you get your date soon x
    NB
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi NB, I think I will be bold and ring tomorrow, maybe I will be enlightened :roll: or maybe not! Anyway, I've ordered a new fridge-freezer and the delivery date is for April 1, the date one of the admin staff told me I would've had the op for, so thats how confident I am at not going in soon! I have wondered whether its due to being near the end of the financial year, but what do I no :wink: Glad your getting out and about, this forum is brill for sharing experiences jk
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    I was to get op in early December, hassled consultants secretary who at end of day said it would not be before January. Got date in for February, few days before due admission got letter stating due to emergencies could not be admitted for another 2 weeks, funnily (sorry if I don't laugh) the nurses told me the consultant was due to return from holiday the day before my surgery.
    Keep telephoning your consultants secretary, it is the only way to ensure you are remembered and you may even be given the heads up an appointment is on its way. I do hope you get work soon. Linda