neck pain when reading in bed

Options
amethyst
amethyst Member Posts: 30
edited 26. Mar 2009, 14:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
i love to read in bed but i am having problems with neck pain can you suggest anything that i might use to help i have a v pillow but this does not help i don't want to stop reading in bed as this helps me to relax thanks

Comments

• debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Have you tried a heat pad or a wheat bag you can heat up? You can get them shaped so that they wrap right around your neck. I find they help my neck.

Deb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Just beiong nosey as this is one of my problems too!
    Might just try that Deb!
    Toni x
  • amethyst
    amethyst Member Posts: 30
    Options
    debatat wrote:
    Hi

Have you tried a heat pad or a wheat bag you can heat up? You can get them shaped so that they wrap right around your neck. I find they help my neck.

Deb
    i have tried a wheat bag but i find that when i wake in the morning my neck is still sore
    thanks for your reply
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I have a v pillow and use my wheat pack. It comes in handy for lots of aches and pains! I won`t be defeated when it comes to my reading either!
    NB
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    There seem to be lots of different pillows on the market that may help you with your neck discomfort when reading in bed. Electric beds are good from the point of view that you can raise the head end which enables you to be in the sitting position whilst reading. An expensive way to read comfortably in bed though.

Hope you find a solution soon,

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi

If you sit up to read in bed A**s have an adjustable backrest + pillow for £19.59. It goes into 4 different positions and folds flat for storage.

Love
    Vonski x
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi

If you sit up to read in bed A**s have an adjustable backrest + pillow for £19.59. It goes into 4 different positions and folds flat for storage.

Love
    Vonski x

Hi
    Yes agree with Vonski, was going to suggest something similar. I love reading too but neck and also hands hurt when holding the book so i have an arrangement of pillows (a v neck and also a dunlopillow which does n't flatten very much )to get me into a more upright position and rest the weight of my book on another pillow or one of those lap trays. When my hands are really bad i use one of those 'deckchair' book rests which big bookshops sell.
    I also have (yeah i've got all the gear!) a very small v shaped pillow which i got from John lewis, (sorry for mentioning names). it is similar to ones people use on long flights. This fits snugly round my neck (not enough to strangle me! :lol: ) but very supportive.

Hope this helps
    happy reading Gillx 8)
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    We went to Dunhelm Mill and looked at all their pillows for so long I was dusted off twice, and bought a couple of their biggest, hardest pillows.

I use more than just the two big pillows for support. With an additional couple of spare pillows I keep to hand, they keep me wedged up to a comfortable level plus one for a book. When I settle to sleep, the extras are pushed onto the floor, a guarantee that I never fall out of bed.
    f030.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    Glad you've solved that problem! :) Makes me feel tired reading your post. Love Sue :)
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi,

Don't know if you've tried all versions of pillows yet but I have found that one of those squeezy soft little pillows (with polystyrene balls inside I think) on top of normal ones just gives that bit of extra lift and support for my head. Because it moulds to your head it is comfortable to.

Once you finished reading they are ideal for sticking between the knees to stop hip pain in the night too! Usually around £10 from local mall or market. :)

x