Methotrexate and stomach ache/cramps

Options
chez86
chez86 Member Posts: 37
edited 29. Mar 2009, 08:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Is it possible to start getting these side effects after being on this drug after 2 yrs of taking it? I've been fine taking the tablets all this time but lately iv been getting bloating, twinges, aches and sometimes cramps in my stomach and intestine area. Iv been tested for Celiac Disease but it came back clear. I guess it could be Irritable Bowl Syndrome..especially as iv recently moved house, and stress is meant to be a common reason for the onset of IBS.

Just wondered if anyone else has ever had trouble with their arthitis meds after taking them for a considerable time?

Chez x

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As you have been on MTX for 2 years it may not be the cause. However, have recently moved house it could have triggered an attack as IBS is often stress related. Perhaps your GP can sort something out for you.

Good article at http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068776/ to give you extra help.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi chez
    You never said tablets or injections, with me they both caused tummy problems I coped with the tablets for about a year 25MG then on to 20mg injections and tghat gave me some relief but the problems came back a few months later and i stopped responding to the drug although i stayed on it for other reasons. It can cause cramps and other things and i went through the same process as you thinking i had some other problem. I would have a chat with the GP or rheumy nurse. The problem i found was that Rheumy was reluctant to take me off the drug as i was so bad without it and i percivered with it. Nothing worse than side effects and you dont know if its the arthur or something else. Keep you chin up and take care
    Colin
  • chez86
    chez86 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Iv been given some mediine stuff to take if i get discomfort now, so il c how that goes x