Been told I need new hip & am NOT too young!

penfactor
penfactor Member Posts: 366
edited 28. Mar 2009, 13:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone :) -some of you may remember kindly replying to me last week. I went for my 2nd hip injection Thurs & finally met the head surgeon first time. Apparently the two appointments in out-patients had only been with junior doctors. He said he was very unhappy I had been told to have another injection because he does not like doing more than one & just asked me "How would you like a new hip?!" I nearly passed out & said I had been told I was way too young for even re-surfacing & he said that doctor was only a junior, that he was in charge & that he replaced a ladies hip last week who was 20 years younger than me! He also was shocked I had not had new X-ray since early last year & has now injected blue dye under X-ray with follow-up 6weeks. It really does seem scary that you can just get fobbed off by juniors in out-patients cos the main consultants are so over- stretched.
He was really lovely wanting to correct things for me asap & I now have bit more hope for future :?

Comments

• hezmarie25
    hezmarie25 Member Posts: 63
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I hope you don't mind me asking but how old are you? I am 40 and my doc has offered me new knees and has talked about my hips but I am too afraid to have them done.
    Also I was told that I could not have injections in my hips as my doc doesn't like doing them in this region. (Had them in my knees tho). I am seeing doc again on 6th April so will see what he says.
    Take care and keep smiling
    Heather x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Penfactor

Well that's a story isn't it, I think the junior jumped in with both feet. Glad you got to see the top man and that you are now getting somewhere :) Have you got time to think about the op or are you just going for it. Whatever you decide good luck.

Love
    Vonski x
  • penfactor
    I am 50 next friday. I also have OA in right knee but had an amazing course of injections in that called "suprasyn" I think that wasn't steroid but sort of "oiled" the joint like WD40 the doc described!
    All docs are different & I have discovered that many find over injecting joints with steroids can cause ligament damage which is why ours don't like them
    XX
  • penfactor
    Hi there
    Well I was shocked & this was only last thurs but this guy has requested he see me personally this time so can properly discuss all options then. Another patient there who had had spinal surgery & is also now waiting for new hip told me this is the top consultant & it is a teaching hosp so I am gonna totally trust his advice.
    I tried asking about re-surfacing there but they were so busy - have to wait for follow up.
    XX
  • hezmarie25
    Hi there
    Well I wish you luck and I would defo trust this guy but make sure you do what you want to do. Ask for time to think about all the options he gives you.
    I am going to look into these wd40 injections :D they sound good.
    Take care
    Love Heather x
  • hezmarie25
    Hi again!
    Just googled those injections and nothing is coming up! Will see
    what doc says.
    Take care x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    hezmarie25 wrote:
    Hi there
    Well I wish you luck and I would defo trust this guy but make sure you do what you want to do. Ask for time to think about all the options he gives you.
    I am going to look into these wd40 injections :D they sound good.
    Take care
    Love Heather x

Hi

We had a thread quite a while ago about WD40. It had been said that it was good for arthritis, not heard of injections though. Anyway after discussion and a good few laughs we decided it didn't sound that good. Don't think anyone dared to try it :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • penfactor
    Sorry mum-in-law on phone! Just found the leaflet for knee injection brand name SUPLASYN after all! Lucky I keep all this stuff! Will google myself now too!
    X
  • hezmarie25
    Oh thanks, going to join you on google :D
  • penfactor
  • hezmarie25
    These sound wonderful. Have written the name down and going to ask doc and see what he thinks. Had the steroid ones but would like to give these a try as they are a lubricate.
    Thank you sooooooooo much
    Take care Heather x
  • penfactor
    The brand name is actually SUPLASYN & it is actually a form of hyaloronic acid (a naturally occurring lubricant they use in all the skin creams I know!
    All I can say is they worked a treatment for my poor old knee & effect has lasted over 5 years now - unfortunately they cannot be used for the hip joints
    X
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Pen
    Glad you got to see the head honcho and are getting the right treatment now. I had my new hip 5 weeks ago and am 40, so it not always about age. I was told it is more about how it is affecting your life, sleep, mobility, work etc..
    Good luck.
    NB