Pain But No Swelling?

joanne6658
joanne6658 Member Posts: 17
edited 31. Mar 2009, 18:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good Morning All :)

I've been on Leflunomide since the end of January and I'm still very stiff and sore (I know the medication take a while to kick in) but I'm not really swollen up like usual, I have a bit of swelling on my hands but nothing to write home about but the pain is just as bad as usual if not worse :cry:

I always thought that if there was no swelling then there would be no pain but now I don't know?

Any ideas or experiences?

Comments

  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't know what type of arthritis you have but, I have oa and although I sometimes have swelling, I have pain most of the time. My hands are a bit bumpy, but nothing too bad, but sometimes, like yesterday, the pain was so bad I couldn't bend my thumb :shock: :!: This seems very unfair, doesn't it because if you've got a nice, big lump people feel sympathy for you straight away, but with nothing to show for it, people expect you to be fine :!: :? Its just another of arthers little tricks :D:wink: Hope your pain improves quickly, Love Sue
  • joanne6658
    joanne6658 Member Posts: 17
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    woodbon wrote:
    I don't know what type of arthritis you have but, I have oa and although I sometimes have swelling, I have pain most of the time. My hands are a bit bumpy, but nothing too bad, but sometimes, like yesterday, the pain was so bad I couldn't bend my thumb :shock: :!: This seems very unfair, doesn't it because if you've got a nice, big lump people feel sympathy for you straight away, but with nothing to show for it, people expect you to be fine :!: :? Its just another of arthers little tricks :D:wink: Hope your pain improves quickly, Love Sue

    Hello Sue, thanks for your reply, I have PA. You are right about people understanding if they can physically see that you are swollen, if I am not swelled up then my husband is slightly less sympathetic than if I am. If only pain were visible then people would understand more :(
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As others have said before, we need badges! :D Love Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,371
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm a rheumatoid and I get pain without swelling :x :x :x :(

    Luv Legs :D
  • joanne6658
    joanne6658 Member Posts: 17
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    lindalegs wrote:
    I'm a rheumatoid and I get pain without swelling :x :x :x :(

    Luv Legs :D

    Thanks for your reply Linda, I guess I'm just used to being in pain and swollen so I always expect both. :?
  • hezmarie25
    hezmarie25 Member Posts: 63
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I have OA and I also get pain without swelling. Its true tho that when we are all swollen people are a little more sympathetic than when we are not and there is nothing to show for the pain.
    Keep smiling
    Heather
  • michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ok Thank you all I have the same thing pain but very little swelling at the moment I thought that I was going daft here but it seems that I am not lol
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    michelle22 wrote:
    Ok Thank you all I have the same thing pain but very little swelling at the moment I thought that I was going daft here but it seems that I am not lol

    Hi all
    Some of the places where the pain is really bad has nothing to show for it at all! My hip is really bad at the moment i can barely climb the stairs or get in or out of a car and yet a recent X ray showed that apart from some bone thinning it was in pretty good nick. Doesn't feel that way to me :lol:
    Take care all of you
    Gillx
    o050.gif
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi like most of you I have pain but little to no swelling. The only areas I really swell are at the sides and below my knees and my ankles and top of right foot are permanently swollen. Linda
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Joanne a few facts for you on your arthritis.

    Osteoarthritis which is also known as degenerative arthritis and causes your joints to wear the cartilage and subchondral bone degenerates, The pain does not come from the swelling although when you are swollen it is the inflammation around the joint and it does not help. The pain comes from the worn joints as you attempt to do things. The more you do the more painful it gets because you put stress on the Joint. Most of the medication we take reduces the swelling but the joint remains worn so you get the pain. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
    Colin
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Not that I want swelling but, if you've got a big, red lump to show people they tend to be more sympathetic!! :D . Love Sue
  • joanne6658
    joanne6658 Member Posts: 17
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    colinone wrote:
    Hello Joanne a few facts for you on your arthritis.

    Osteoarthritis which is also known as degenerative arthritis and causes your joints to wear the cartilage and subchondral bone degenerates, The pain does not come from the swelling although when you are swollen it is the inflammation around the joint and it does not help. The pain comes from the worn joints as you attempt to do things. The more you do the more painful it gets because you put stress on the Joint. Most of the medication we take reduces the swelling but the joint remains worn so you get the pain. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
    Colin

    Hi Colin

    Thanks for the info, I'm still quite new to arthritis (2 and a half years) and still learning and trying to get my medication sorted out!

    Thanks to everyone for your replies and hope you are all not too sore and stiff today.

    Jo xx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joanne, Guys i may have been a bit missled regarding the swelling, bones also swell and when inflamed the pain is bad, the reason you still get pain when the swelling has gone is because you have the disease
    Colin
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Joanne, Guys i may have been a bit missled regarding the swelling, bones also swell and when inflamed the pain is bad, the reason you still get pain when the swelling has gone is because you have the disease
    Colin

    Hi All
    Pain and swelling do not always go together. Swelling is usually the result of inflammation but sometimes the mechanics of the body tissues around the inflammed area prevent it from becoming too engorged. Gravity also plays a part as those of you whose legs etc swell when standing will know. Also some of the inflammatory proteins that your body makes can sensitize the nerve endings and increase the pain.
    So what you see is not always what you get d045.gif
    Gillx
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Joanne - I too started taking Leflunomide in Feb and am feeling worse than before - keep expecting to wake up and feel great but still waiting :cry:

    But on a plus side I have been able to put on my engagement , wedding and eternity rings for the first time in about 3 years since this bugger came into my life really :wink: This has just been over the last week so would say my swelling sems to have gone down and pain went up!! I suffer from RA.

Who's Online

18
Sheelee
Sheelee
+17 Guests