possible arthritis at 18years old!!!

heav_18
heav_18 Member Posts: 12
Hi, im just on here for advise really (at the minute) [I have also posted on young persons forum]

I have suffered with back problems and severe pain for at least a year. I have now developed problems with my hips. I have had physio and have had the idea that I could have arthritis totally dismissed by both my GP and the physio who said, at 18years old, I was "too young."

I have finished my physio sessions now, and they have not helped in the slightest, if anything i feel my pain has worsend!!! My GP is now looking at refering me to Rheumatology for scans and blood tests.

There is OA on both sides on my family, my mum has it severely in her wrist at just 42years old. She has been tested for HLA-B27 (the genetic side of Ankilosing Spondilytis, which was negative)

Any ideas/advise about what I my have and what I can do to hurry the process of referal etc along?

I am currently just months from finishing a Diploma in Child Care and Education and am looking for a teaching assistant job. I need to get this sorted as I dont want to have to give up my career before its even started!!!!
Many Thanks

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    heav_18 wrote:
    Hi, im just on here for advise really (at the minute) [I have also posted on young persons forum]

I have suffered with back problems and severe pain for at least a year. I have now developed problems with my hips. I have had physio and have had the idea that I could have arthritis totally dismissed by both my GP and the physio who said, at 18years old, I was "too young."

I have finished my physio sessions now, and they have not helped in the slightest, if anything i feel my pain has worsend!!! My GP is now looking at refering me to Rheumatology for scans and blood tests.

There is OA on both sides on my family, my mum has it severely in her wrist at just 42years old. She has been tested for HLA-B27 (the genetic side of Ankilosing Spondilytis, which was negative)

Any ideas/advise about what I my have and what I can do to hurry the process of referal etc along?

I am currently just months from finishing a Diploma in Child Care and Education and am looking for a teaching assistant job. I need to get this sorted as I dont want to have to give up my career before its even started!!!!
    Many Thanks

It can be worrying waiting for a diagnosis but it sounds as if your GP is being very thorough in exploring what is going on for you.

People of all ages can get arthritis but there is much that can be done to manage the condition if this is the diagnosis.

I would like to encourage you to contact our helpline so that you can talk over all your concerns in confidence and we can provide you with further support and information. This is a freephone number 0808 800 4050 (Mon-Fri, 10-4).

Best Wishes
    Dawn