Bad Flare-up

Options
kazzyanne
kazzyanne Member Posts: 2
Hi guys, its a really bad day to be joining your forum but im having a really bad flare up of my psoriatic arthritis. It hasnt been this bad for ages and i feel really low any ideas as to what i can do :cry:

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kazzyanne

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad day but welcome to the Forum anyway.
    Having a flare can make you feel low and this is a time to really take care of yourself. Rest rather than exercise but don't take to your bed, move and stretch your joints frequently so they don't stiffen up.
    Take your painkillers regularly as prescribed, some of them only last a few hours and it's important to have some pain relieving medication in your body.
    Relax but do something to distract your mind from the pain - become absorbed in a nice TV programme or a favourite DVD.
    Use some relaxation and distraction techniques - I expect you already know some but here are some more that can be helpful.
    Practice 7/11 breathing i.e. breathe in through your nose for the count of 7 and out through your mouth for the count of 11. Clenching your fist when breathing in and relaxing your hand when breathing out can make this even more effective.
    Focus on your immediate physical surroundings - study the grain in wooden furniture, or the pattern in the curtains or carpet, watch a shadow on the wall, feel your chair or bed - is it hard, soft, hot or cool. Listen to the sounds around you - what do you hear?
    Last but by no means least, if you want someone to talk to then give us a ring !
    Best wishes
    Val