Hip replacement

Options
2»

Comments

• susie51
    susie51 Member Posts: 57
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had hip replacement three years ago and like you was very wary beforehand especially as they said they wanted to do it with a spine block and I would be concious!!!! I was given a large dose of valium, allowed to take my MP3 in with me and only really roused twice once because I was cold and they gave me a heater! and secondly towards the end when I was being stiched and just went straight back into myself since I had no wish to know more! Finally came round as they were moving me to ward feeling very happy!!

It turned out to be a really wonderful experience, because I was not recovering from a full on aneasthetic I was able to recover more quickly and was walking next day (well hobbling) and home with nursing care on day four. I have not looked back the freedom from pain and being able to walk again is wonderful and the only time I am aware of/remember it is when I bend over in a way it is not made to move in without dislocating (they willl tell you about this).

My advice relax and look forward to new painless movement - good luck and tell us how it went. Susie
  • jackiev
    jackiev Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you for the very comforting and re-assuring advice......
    Personally it is a lot to take in.....I am still reeling from the shock of being in this situation....

Me.....I could eat fruit and veg till it was coming out of..... :lol: .......Mediterranean diet....that was my middle name......garlic...olives....fish.....and yet here I am.....
    Bones seizing up on me.......even my fingers are growing there own knuckles.......
    I do feel like a good cry.......but I know in the scheme of things if you had to have 'something' then a hip replacement is not the worst by any means.......
    That said I am still very scared.....I too have seen the operations not on you-tube....but medical sites......

Collette, what sort of exercises are you referring to and what was the anaesthetic you had......?

Caravan, the injections I was referring to are for blood thinning........are you getting any noises from your hip.......?I hear this can be a problem.....
    Has any one noticed a change in leg lengths....don't laugh.....I have heard 'again' that this can happen......

Susie are you able to sit in a normal chair...?...how much flexibility do you gain after surgery.......can you open your legs........you may laugh.......but for me it has been very frustrating not being able to...... :cry:
    And lastly....personal hygiene.......what are you able to do...?.....mainly directly after surgery going to the loo etc etc..... :oops:

Debbie Bionic Woman or what.....what an amazing woman you are........good luck to you....... :)

I have not done PM's.........firstly I am not sure how to and secondly there were soooo many of you I wanted to say thanks too and ask more questions........and the more various answers I get the better :) ..............Thank You.....
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi there,

I had my op done with a spinal block, not what I wanted but I had to accept that that was how they were doing it. I had pre meds at 2.30 which were meant to make me sleep but they did not. I felt the needle go in and it was very sore, but within twenty seconds of getting it I was sleeping and woke at 7.30pm in recovery.

The exercises is the ones they give you after the op to do.

1 Lying on the bed and slide you leg out to the side and in

2 Again lying on the bed slide your leg up until your knee is bent and then slide down again (I hope I have described this right)

3 Lying on the bed with your knees bent and tighten and hold your buttock muscles (This is actually one of the most important ones). I wish I had of done more of this one prior to the op

4 Lie on the bed with your legs straight. Bend your ankles towards you and push your knees down against the bed and hold for five seconds.

I think there are a few websites that illustrate these exercises.

Hope this helps. Anything else just ask

Collette
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    jackiev wrote:
    Thank you for the very comforting and re-assuring advice......
    Personally it is a lot to take in.....I am still reeling from the shock of being in this situation....

Me.....I could eat fruit and veg till it was coming out of..... :lol: .......Mediterranean diet....that was my middle name......garlic...olives....fish.....and yet here I am.....
    Bones seizing up on me.......even my fingers are growing there own knuckles.......
    I do feel like a good cry.......but I know in the scheme of things if you had to have 'something' then a hip replacement is not the worst by any means.......
    That said I am still very scared.....I too have seen the operations not on you-tube....but medical sites......

Collette, what sort of exercises are you referring to and what was the anaesthetic you had......?

Caravan, the injections I was referring to are for blood thinning........are you getting any noises from your hip.......?I hear this can be a problem.....
    Has any one noticed a change in leg lengths....don't laugh.....I have heard 'again' that this can happen......

Susie are you able to sit in a normal chair...?...how much flexibility do you gain after surgery.......can you open your legs........you may laugh.......but for me it has been very frustrating not being able to...... :cry:
    And lastly....personal hygiene.......what are you able to do...?.....mainly directly after surgery going to the loo etc etc..... :oops:

Debbie Bionic Woman or what.....what an amazing woman you are........good luck to you....... :)

I have not done PM's.........firstly I am not sure how to and secondly there were soooo many of you I wanted to say thanks too and ask more questions........and the more various answers I get the better :) ..............Thank You.....
    Hi jackie
    The injections were to prevent clots, had them in hospital, not at home. I did some searching on medical sites, including the good ones. As a nurse I found a little knowledge can be a hindrence as well as a help.I found personal care a bit difficult on hospital-am a 2 shower per day sort of person. Toileting was ok-catheter 2 days, then bedpan, commode, assisted walking until by day 4 independence.personal washing was a bit difficult until home then hubby helped. Not allowed to shower til Tues but able to wash all but feet.have been given a perching stool to lean / rest against. I had epidural anaesthetic with twilight sleep-heard and felt nothing. Took mp3 but don't remember what I listened to. Any exercise you can safely do pre op is good to improve muscle strength as well as specific ones. My hospital arranged a pre op ed session and written info. Best wishes elaine
  • jackiev
    Options
    Thanks Elaine and Collette.....yes I do agree some information can be a dangerous thing.....but I do need to have some information as to what I am likely to experience.......

The 'personal hygiene' is very important to me......I am soooooooooo finicky...plus I have IBS......so I realy need to get myself organised and take what ever is necessary to help me....... :D
    Are your leg lengths the same....?
    Are you able do more now after your hip replacement......has the pain realy gone..... :)
  • debbieclap
    debbieclap Member Posts: 109
    Options
    jackiev wrote:
    Thanks Elaine and Collette.....yes I do agree some information can be a dangerous thing.....but I do need to have some information as to what I am likely to experience.......

The 'personal hygiene' is very important to me......I am soooooooooo finicky...plus I have IBS......so I realy need to get myself organised and take what ever is necessary to help me....... :D
    Are you able do more now after your hip replacement......has the pain realy gone..... :)

Hi I found my hospital to be good on hygiene and at every bed there was a bottle of alcohol hand rub for patients to use. I was up and going to the bathroom the day after my op and showering the next day which was great. I am sorry to hear you also have ibs but that shouldn't be a problem you soon learn how to get to the bathroom quick believe me. : :)
    My legs are now level for the first time in forty eight years it dose feel strange but is great at the same time.
    Yes I am able to do more now than I could before the thr even though I am waiting to have my other hip replaced now and YES the pain has virtually gone just left with an ach on occasions, thats the best bit you find you begin to think again and feel human.
    Have you got a date for your op yet?
    Debbie
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    jackiev wrote:

Hi jackie
    I think leg lengths are equal but still on crutches so cannot be sure yet . I really do not have pre op pain, more stiffness but hey only 9 days post op. I really am looking forward to a shower on tuesday but it's amazing where you can reach with a face cloth attached to a loofah! It was actually easier in hospital, our bathroom rather small to accomodate raised toilet and perching stool without help.planning is the key along with a sense of humour when things don't go quite right. It's really not as bad as you think, keep posting someone will have the answers you need
    Elaine x
  • jackiev
    Options
    Well I shall try again ....long story....but I lost my reply to you all yesterday...... :(

Firstly I want to say a real big thank you to you all......it does help to know that there is 'life' after a hip replacement..... :)

Collette the epidural is what I would definitely go for....I had this when I had my hysterectomy......I explained to my anethatis that I do not do the anesthetic well......he was amazing and did some sort of combination...any way I awoke from my surgery wonderful....really could not believe how happy and relaxed I felt....I'm sure it speeded up my recovery...... :D

I have read so many say how important the exercises are.......so I'm working on them... :P
    I have checked out the web sites for illustrations and when I'm 'in the mood' I do them..... :roll:

Elaine not sure I am going to be happy with the bed pan/commode.....I know this will definitely not be 'good' for my IBS... :oops:....and as for the loofah.....the mind boggles.... :lol:

I think we are quite similar, I also will be taking my MP3...aren't they fabulous little things....mind I am not clever enough to down load the music myself, I get my adorable beautiful daughter to do it for me....I also have my stories....audio CDs and cassette tapes...mainly autobiographies......mostly read by the authors....wonderful..... :D

Debbs no date as yet for the op....I go and see the consultant 20th of May... :(....
    Its weired to day is a 'good day' for me, not an awful lot of pain......were any of you like this... :?: ....Or were you in total agony from day one.... :?:
    What I can't seem to get my head round are the raised tiolets......honest....how do these things work..... :lol:

Again thanks ladies, it is a big huge help to know ALL the nitty-gritty as to what I am likely to expect......
    I know all experiences are different......but the fact that you have done this 'journey' and are comfortable to share your experiences does help enormously for all of us who will be following....... :)