Surprise sudden pain

Options
anaabh
anaabh Member Posts: 25
Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with severe OA in my left knee. My consultant says there is a large amount of bone on bone contact with boney nodules growing and some debris that was seen on the x ray. I'm having an arthroscopy on 21st April.

Last night I walked from one room to another and had a sudden burning pain slightly off centre in my knee. I have never experienced anything like it. I couldn't straighten the joint or bend it more than perhaps 10%. Each time I tried the pain got worse. Had to bum shuffle up the stairs to get into bed and lay there in huge pain.

What is this?? is this normal?? In the morning it was much better although the knee seems more creaky and crunchy :shock: At 39 I really wasn't expecting something like this to happen and I'm worried that it could again.

Any ideas!
Many thanks
Anna

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Anna
    I also have severe OA in my left knee, a bit in the right as well, but nothing to worry about at the moment. The sudden sharp pain you describe happened to me when I was walking down the stairs, and I had to sit on the stairs for ages before I could move an inch. The pain persisted for ages, and it was only when I was given a steroid injection that it started to ease. However, this only lasted 6 weeks, and then the pain came back. I was also surprised, just like you, how suddenly it came.

I had arthroscopy last Dec. and at first I didn't think it had made much difference. The consultant told me that the OA was much worse than they thought, and I would need a knee replacement. However, I wanted a bit of time to think about it, so they are reviewing it in June. In the meantime, I have had a course of physio, and also acupuncture,(all on the NHS) and at the moment, I am much improved. My knee is still stiff, and it can be painful if I overdoe things, but I no longer get the sharp pain, which felt like someone was sticking a knife in me.I also sleep better than I did before the arthroscopy, so I think it did do some good.

I hope your op goes well,and that your pain will reduce.My advice would be to take things easy for a while afterwards. I think I did too much too soon, and set myself back because I developed bursitis in my hip with limping. Thankfully, it has gone now.

If you want to ask any questions about the op. I would be pleased to answer them. You could send a private message.

All the best
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Anna :D

It may have been some of the debris moving around in the knee or another bit loosened away and got trapped, as you were walking, just at the moment you felt the horrid pain.

Not too long to wait until the arthroscopy and hopefully this will sort you out for a goodly time.

I wish you all the very best with the procedure.

Look after yourself and take it gently after the surgery for a short while.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • anaabh
    anaabh Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you ladies!

I got seriously scared for a while cos I've kind of coasted through the diagnosis and symptoms so far and that incident took me by surprise.

I think I need to educate myself a bit about OA so I don't moan when things like that happen.

Thank goodness for people like yourselves, full of good advice and support.

HAPPY EASTER! :lol:
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Anna
    Getting a sudden pain like this can be scary but you've had some good replies from others in similar situations and I hope you're feeling a bit better about things.
    Learning more about your condition can certainly be helpful and can make you feel more in control. Our booklet 'Living with Osteoarthritis' is a good place to start and it can be downloaded from our website or I can post it to you if you send us an email with your address.
    If you'd like to talk to one of us please do ring us on the freephone number.
    Best wishes
    Val