HYLAGAN INJECTIONS

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 20. Apr 2009, 15:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
have any of you had hylagan injections if so what can i expect and are they painfull thanks
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,
    Sorry, I've not heard of these injections. I thought halygin (sp?) was a kind of light!!! :oops: Seriously though, it'd be interesting to know, the only thing I can think of is maybe its a manufacturers name for a drug? :?: Lots of love Sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hiya BB :D

Hey I do love questions like this. I googled it and found out that Hyalgan is a solution of hyaluronate, a natural substance that acts like "oil" to cushion and lubricate your knee joint.

It is injected directly into the knee. Just a single course of treatment (five injections given over 4 weeks on the same day as the first injection) can provide long-lasting pain relief.

Regarding pain, I am sure if you relax and think of something nice, it will all be over in a trice.

Used for more than 12 years - available in 30 countries - approximately 5 million injections given.

You will have the point marked on your knee where the injection will go. The area is anaethetised and any fluid is aspirated first with one needle and then the injection is done. You end up with a plaster on the pinprick and are told to walk no more than you need to for the rest of that day ie take it easy. It is quite ok for you to bend the knee as normal and you do not need any cane or whatever.

It is interesting to google Hyalgan injections and then you will be well prepared but I am sure all will be explained to you at the time.

It would appear that people vary in the time that it takes to give them relief. May be after the first injection or may be a week after the last one. For some it does not relieve the pain at all.

Hope it works for you immediately!! Please let us know how ou go on.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    thanks for that :) i am only getting 3 over a 4 week period as may day is in the middle doesent sound to bad though :o
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx