just something that I hope may interest some of you

Options
nickynysmon08
nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
edited 22. Apr 2009, 07:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I said in y last post I would inform you how I went on today, after walking along one of the Snowdon footpaths. well, I awoke this morning, with some feelings of trepidation but decided to at least try the walk from the station. so, I arrived and started my walk, being fully prepared to turn back at the slightest eventuality. kneewise that is.

I met some excellent people along the way, as always happens amongst walkers. so, I kept on climbing and eventually at three thousand feet along the ridge footpath I ended up climbing all the way to the cafe which is opening this June I believe. it was fabulous, and my normally severe vertigo, simply was'nt there which further astonished me. at times there were sheer drops on either side, but we all plodded on.
I descended by the Rangers footpath to the road below, with some 'divergences' along the way.
all the time I was wearing my vulkan knee supports, and they were an absolute life saver and godsend. my knees would have collapsed otherwise i fear.

so, after testing myself, to see what could be done, it all come back to the dictum, you never know until you try!!!

the osteo is still problematic, aching right now, as usual, and I am still waiting to see the physio, and now resting in a big way...

so, you never know what can be achieved, until we make the effort. at least this is what I have found. it will not cure osteo in any way, it can still be quite unpleasant as we all know, but at least life can be lived to the full it seems once we find ways of dealing with it.

best wishes,

Nick

Comments

• mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I said in y last post I would inform you how I went on today, after walking along one of the Snowdon footpaths. well, I awoke this morning, with some feelings of trepidation but decided to at least try the walk from the station. so, I arrived and started my walk, being fully prepared to turn back at the slightest eventuality. kneewise that is.

I met some excellent people along the way, as always happens amongst walkers. so, I kept on climbing and eventually at three thousand feet along the ridge footpath I ended up climbing all the way to the cafe which is opening this June I believe. it was fabulous, and my normally severe vertigo, simply was'nt there which further astonished me. at times there were sheer drops on either side, but we all plodded on.
    I descended by the Rangers footpath to the road below, with some 'divergences' along the way.
    all the time I was wearing my vulkan knee supports, and they were an absolute life saver and godsend. my knees would have collapsed otherwise i fear.

so, after testing myself, to see what could be done, it all come back to the dictum, you never know until you try!!!

the osteo is still problematic, aching right now, as usual, and I am still waiting to see the physio, and now resting in a big way...

so, you never know what can be achieved, until we make the effort. at least this is what I have found. it will not cure osteo in any way, it can still be quite unpleasant as we all know, but at least life can be lived to the full it seems once we find ways of dealing with it.

best wishes,

Nick

Hi Nick
    Well done! Am in awe. Its great when you can do something like that. I used to get such a buzz in the days when i could still go ski ing. It felt like such a major achievement. (But always got the vertigo, just never looked down :lol: )
    Nowadays i have to set my goal posts a little lower, but i still get a buzz when i manage to do something that i want to do and outsmart arthur.
    Enjoy it
    love Gillx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, How wonderful!!! Not just for the walking but also for overcoming the vertigo!! :) We're going to the lake district in July and I hope to do some gentle walking. I went to the gym today, with a medical trainer and did really well (or so I thought, until I read your post :) ). Still as you say, you never know what you can do until you try. :):):) Love Sue
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Nick and well done, you are right you don't know what you can do until you try, mines not quite Snowdon but did manage a walk along the coast from West Runton to Sheringham, must say my heart was in my mouth when I saw the hill we had to climb but I managed it and was so chuffed as we had just took up walking before Arthur showed up so it has really made me feel more postive about trying things now. Will have to have a look for the knee supports that you mentioned because thats my dodgy limb it has a mind of its own.

debs
  • nickynysmon08
    Options
    debsmartin wrote:
    Hi Nick and well done, you are right you don't know what you can do until you try, mines not quite Snowdon but did manage a walk along the coast from West Runton to Sheringham, must say my heart was in my mouth when I saw the hill we had to climb but I managed it and was so chuffed as we had just took up walking before Arthur showed up so it has really made me feel more postive about trying things now. Will have to have a look for the knee supports that you mentioned because thats my dodgy limb it has a mind of its own.

debs

when I was out yesterday, I was told several times about the value of walking poles. many , many people of all ages use them and they take about 25% of the strain from the knees and hips. I have just come back from Millets, and bought, along with a larger rucksack and socks, two leki walking poles, costing thirty pounds each. they seem very good quality, and in the end, if it is between spending a bit of money and making sure you can still do a good walk in ten or twenty years time....
    so I do recommend these along with knee supports. if I had had no supports on yesterday, they would have air lifted me from the mountain, or carried me down!!! My knees simply would not have taken it.

you can buy these or similar, from tesco, boots, jjb sports, or from 'physiosupplies' on the web. the last are not the cheapest and i recommend a google search, for vulkran . you can save money buying them

Nick
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I had one walking pole, but 2 years ago I bought a pair from a shop on the internet - they are good for arther and help keep your balance when walking on uneven ground or slippery surfaces. Love Sue
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Well done Nick, that's fantastic :-)

It's not quite the same but we took our girls for a bike ride on Saturday afternoon round and about our house (we live near some lovely countryside). We got chatting and it was a lovely day and by the time we got home, the girls were exhausted and I noticed that we'd been out for TWO HOURS!

Knees were fine, feet a little swollen but I got over it.

It really is great having these good days. And because my feet were swollen, my OH made me put them up and cooked dinner :-)

Nx
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Well done, what an achievment! I used to love long walks with the dog, it's true you meet so many friendly people. I think you should be really proud of yourself, I long for the day I can get past the front gate without pain!
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Well done nicky I rembere walking up snowdon years ago and slid all the way down after getting hopelessly lost and walking through swampy ground etc on the way up my jolly son informed us he felt sick and dizzy just as we got to a large drop we put them on the train down we wished we had as well as we had a long walk back to the car park.
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi debs sounds as though you might have been were waking up Beeston Hump the highest hill in Norfolk apptntly its not all flat you did well to climb it it is a lovely stretch of coast were you on holiday or are you local.
  • bluecrim
    bluecrim Member Posts: 5
    Options
    noeltone wrote:
    Hi debs sounds as though you might have been were waking up Beeston Hump the highest hill in Norfolk apptntly its not all flat you did well to climb it it is a lovely stretch of coast were you on holiday or are you local.

Hi, I can't walk far anymore but find cycling is great. The physio recommended riding the bike as it oils the knees and it really does. I find I can walk easilyafter a ride and the longer the the better. Well done for Snowdon. You are a Star
  • nickynysmon08
    Options
    noeltone wrote:
    Well done nicky I rembere walking up snowdon years ago and slid all the way down after getting hopelessly lost and walking through swampy ground etc on the way up my jolly son informed us he felt sick and dizzy just as we got to a large drop we put them on the train down we wished we had as well as we had a long walk back to the car park.

I only made it it the top after turning back, thinking it was beyond me. I met two men one about seventy, one seventy five. both as fit as twenty year olds!! they asked why i was walking back and said why not try walking over the Ridge.
    normally I suffer from severe vertigo, but Monday, there was no sign of it and even at three thousand feet my head was as clear as anything. I was amazed!!

so, I followed them and they said they would take me down the rangers footpath on the way back. for men in their seventies they would put most young people to shame.

well, both were seasoned walkers, but somehow I think they got a little lost. we walked through boggy fields, all sorts of ground, until we got back to the car. no bother really . then a walk back to the station to pick my car up. I was quite tired after that. my only other climbing after was into bed later !!

I may try a solo attempt on the Watkins footpath later or on the Ridge path again, but when I set out, I simply walk until, hopefully good sense tells me to turn back. having knee supports and now two walking poles should facilitate further adventures, I had thought my walking was finished for this lifetime, for good, I still have pains, Monday night was a bit fierce, but the muscles and joints seem to recover well if we rest them afterward. I think the worst thing is not exercise at all.

no one should underestimate how much they can safely accomplish, no one.

Nick
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    noeltone wrote:

Hi Noeltone

We were on holiday we live in Breaston, Nr Derby, but usually go to West Runton a couple of times a year as we have a touring caravan, the last couple of times we had used the bus because walking was really difficult so I was really pleased with myself, our friend were mortified though cause they thought they had found me a nice flat walk but I really enjoyed it. Do you live near there or do you know it from holidays, nice to put a name to the Mountain (sorry Hill - lol) that I climbed.
    debs