Scooters and flying

Options
lorrayne
lorrayne Member Posts: 25
edited 23. Apr 2009, 18:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having just booked to go away for a few days to Jersey with my neice, I asked if I could bring my lightweight scooter and she said she asked and they said it would be an extra baggage charge which took me aback a little as the my last three trips away I have always asked at check in and they have always been helpful and said its no problem to bring a scooter.

So Im having help instead getting on and off.

I hate to think that my neice might be embarrased because of me and thinking bringing it would be a great stress, as she was quite stroppy and I really regretted saying I would go with her.

I try my hardest not to moan and show how bad Im really feeling, to my family as I live alone and always aware that I could isolate myself further. She just wants me back the way I was I think and likes to pretend if I dont have a cane or scoot I can be. Although I did say sometimes I cant stand to brush my teeth never mind standing ages in line at the airport, its sort of taking all the joy of going away, I really miss traveling

Sorry for rabbiting on, I just wanted to know anyone else expereince air travel with their scoots and did you have to pay access?

Lorrayne xx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Lorrayne
    :(
    Shame isn't it? Not very fair. Not sure where you should go for advice, but I do sympathise and understand how it is when you are trying to cope as you are.
    Maybe you can hire one when you get there? The Jersey tourist board may be able to help??
    I hope you get it sorted and that you have a lovely break.
    Toni x
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hi Lorrayne

I'm sorry you've had trouble with the airline - that's really not very helpful. Have you tried lodging a complaint to the airline? Would they charge someone with a wheelchair extra? And your scooter's light weight so I don't see the problem.

As for your neice, it might be worth having a chat with her before you go on holiday together. Make it plain to her that sometimes you don't feel as able and need assistance but that you want to remain as independent as possible. She might open up then and tell you what's bothering her. Is she quite young?

Nx
  • colinb
    colinb Member Posts: 66
    Options
    if you think your neice is being akward, or embarrased, is it worth checking with the airline to make sure she did ask? if she did and they want to charge extra..i would certainly complain
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi Lorrayne,

When we went to Florida a couple of years ago, we didn't bother about taking my OH's scooter with us (I didn't need one then!). I contacted the airline and arranged for wheelchair assistance from the moment we checked in here, and on our connecting flight in Washington. Same again on the return flights home.

Whilst on holiday, we hired a scooter (over the internet) which was ready and waiting at our hotel. Everything went very well and if we hadn't had the assistance it would have been much more stressful and tiring for OH.

Now, have you thought that maybe your niece thinks its a bit of a pain having to take the scooter - bear in mind just checking suitcases in and then retrieving them off the 'conveyor' belt is usually not much fun :(

She probably doesn't appreciate how important it is to you - I think you need to have a little chat before the hols and explain that using a scooter doesn't make you an 'invalid'! It will help you get around much easier, you'll be able to keep up with her on outings and also conserve energy for when you do walk!

Who are you flying with? I'd have a look on their website and see if they have a department which caters specifically for disabled travellers. If you phone them, ask if they have such a department or even an employee who deals with travel for the disabled. And do get the name and telephone extension of anyone you speak to, so you have a 'contact'.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Jackie x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Did the airline realise that it is a disability scooter? There is a vast difference in the terms 'disability' and 'lightweight' which could have caused confusion.

As others have said, contact the airline and emphasise that it is a necessity due to your disability, not a luxury item. n055.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • lorrayne
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice.

I thought we were flying with British Airways, so I rang them and they allow them up to 45 kilos..... but its Flybee and they too allow them but you have to pay £22.50 each way, which is fine. They assured me its no big deal and I drive it up to the plane while they load it and wait by the plane for them to unload it first. and then help me on the plane, they were extremely helpful.

I think I over reacted :oops: I just hated the idea of being trapped without it. I have a tough time with my older sister and neice as they cant put themselves in my shoes, its not really their fault I suspose. I look well most of the time especially on my scoot...which is misleading, if I have to walk I look about a 105 after a few mins..

My neice is just 4 yrs younger than me and I love her dearly but she is very strong dynamic person and Ive always been laid back.

Your such a lovely lot and its so nice having friends thats understand what it feels like

thank you xxx
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    No thanks necessary, I'm just glad you've got everything sorted out :-)

I think you should try telling your sister and your neice this. You obviously sound very close and I'm sure they'd be upset to learn you were feeling like this and not telling them.

It is hard when you "look" well, but my husband's always on at me just to tell me when I'm hurting because he can't help me otherwise... I hate it when he's right. Good job it's not very often!

Nx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    lorrayne wrote:
    I look well most of the time especially on my scoot...which is misleading.........

I agree! I was on mine the other day and saw someone I knew, but havent seen for a while. I 'drove' right up to her and, when she recognised me, she laughingly said "what are you doing on that"!
    When she realised I wasn't just using the scooter for a hoot she was genuinely sorry to hear of my RA. But if you look alright people do make their own assumptions don't they!

Glad you got your travel arrangements sorted out, that must be a relief to you.

Have a great holiday and let us know how you go on.

Jackie x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    lorrayne wrote:
    Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice.

I thought we were flying with British Airways, so I rang them and they allow them up to 45 kilos..... but its Flybee and they too allow them but you have to pay £22.50 each way, which is fine. They assured me its no big deal and I drive it up to the plane while they load it and wait by the plane for them to unload it first. and then help me on the plane, they were extremely helpful.
    thank you xxx

Glad it worked out OK for you. d020.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Brilliant Lorrayne
    Now you can get on and enjoy yourself!!!
    Take care
    Toni xx :wink:
  • lorrayne
    Options
    Just thought I would let you know the latest...
    after a chat with my sister yesterday morning, she said it had put a dampner on the whole thing and had spoilt it, and it would be better if I dont come. :shock:

I was devastated and in big hurry to get to college for my counselling skills course, forgot my assignment, and library books and was very tearful. Had to leave early as both my arms became weak and shaky and I could not hold a pen, felt very sick and as if I might faint, not sure what it was, felt better to day although arms feel numb and strange, do you think it might be my cervical spondy?

Was able to talk about it to my peers and that helped alot, still very upset and havent had the courage to tell my neice, she will flip after buying the air tickets.

Phew!!!!! good job you can choose your friends

Love Lor xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lor,

I am sorry to read your post, I hope it blows over and you still get to go. Sometimes, especially with family members things are said that aren't thought through and maybe she just said it but will regret it tomorrow?

I hope you soon feel better as well. Take care, Cris