please help...advice needed

Options
harleyd14
harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
edited 23. Apr 2009, 09:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
:cry: please can someone help me, is OA classed as a disability AFTER you have had a Birmingham Hip Resurface? i was told i had severe OA in my right hip, apparently i had the hip joint of an average 85 year old...i was 38 at the time am now 39 and had my BHR in Jan 09, my work are geting funny about how much time off i am having and are now saying that i am not up to the job and i am getting the feeling that i will be shown the door when i walk in next Thursday,i work for a high street ironmongers, two floors, no lift, heavy items all having to be lugged upstairs by hand. Now if OA is classed as a disability then surely they have an obligation to stick me somewhere..... :shock: no comments please!!!! within the shop that would be more suited to my situation? i went to the CAB this morning but it was mainly with regards to how i approach my manager if she sacks me, but i didnt ask if i am disabled or if there are any benefits that i could claim, i get WTC and CTC at the moment. any advice or guidlines would be gratefully received. :D Thanks to all at AC as this is by far THE BEST SITE I HAVE BEEN ON regarding helpful, kind and understanding people. TAKE CARE EVERYONE and i look forward to reading your helpful tips....xxx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Harley 14
    Welcome from me!!
    Tes this is the best site isn't it?? :)
    There are one or two people who may know the answer to this one and they may be along later.
    In the meantime are you ok now?? Do you still have mobility issues?? If so I would look on the Disab Discrimination Act site and have a look at the criteria.
    YOu could also look up Disability living allowance and see if you think you meet their criteria.
    I can tell you must be feeling very vulnerable just now.
    Hopefully it won't come to them showing you the door
    Take care
    Toni x
  • harleyd14
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Harley 14
    Welcome from me!!
    Tes this is the best site isn't it?? :)
    There are one or two people who may know the answer to this one and they may be along later.
    In the meantime are you ok now?? Do you still have mobility issues?? If so I would look on the Disab Discrimination Act site and have a look at the criteria.
    YOu could also look up Disability living allowance and see if you think you meet their criteria.
    I can tell you must be feeling very vulnerable just now.
    Hopefully it won't come to them showing you the door
    Take care
    Toni x
    hi, thanks Toni for the reply, yes i am feeling a bit out in the open at the mo, and i think we all know how each other is feeling with the pain and discomfort, i seem to spend most of my day massaging my hands and fingers!! i have seen your name crop up on quite a few posts with alot of good advice for one and all, so how are you feeling? have you had this long? i'm in the early days and feel almost a fraud when i read of some of the people on here and the agony that they are going through...well i will stay on and google a bit!! then see what help comes up, i know it will as they are wonderful here, a real source of info for all of us in the same boat... thanks again Toni and i will speak to you again i'm sure. take care, Sally.x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sally :D

Why not give the Helpline a call? They will be able to help you. You may have to try a few times as often they are engaged as it is a popular number to call.

You do need to have some more information for sure. This makes you feel more secure for starters, if you know what you are talking about and know your rights, so to speak.

I wish you the very best of luck. Do let us know how you go on.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • colinb
    colinb Member Posts: 66
    Options
    i'm pretty sure you would be regarded as "disabled" going by the definitions of the DDA, which states : The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

if you do a websearch for "definition of disbility" you will find the fuller explanations of that statement quite quickly....i'm sure the helplines team can also point you in the right direction here too.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Sally
    This is all pretty new to me too. June last year in fact - woke up with it, having done a very short wsim the day before!!! My knees, ankles and hips had swollen and stuck like it. OUch!!
    And beleive it or not this site stopped me from going insane. Elna had to put up with my cyber-snivelling and did a really good job too :wink: Thanks Elna!
    I think the helpline might be a good idea along with all your googling!!
    In the meantime keep posting - we'll always do our best to help or just listen if we can't!
    take care
    Toni x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    harleyd14 wrote:
    is OA classed as a disability AFTER you have had a Birmingham Hip Resurface?

I would follow the rest of the forum in that you need professional advice on this.

However, if the only joint with OA was your hip which has been operated on, you no longer suffer from OA. If there are other joints affected, then yes you may well still be classified as disabled.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • harleyd14
    Options
    harleyd14 wrote:
    is OA classed as a disability AFTER you have had a Birmingham Hip Resurface?

I would follow the rest of the forum in that you need professional advice on this.

However, if the only joint with OA was your hip which has been operated on, you no longer suffer from OA. If there are other joints affected, then yes you may well still be classified as disabled.

Joseph 8)
    i think my head is spinning!!! there are so many angles to this. thank you all for replying. i am waiting for a drs appointment (i get fed up with the engaged tone and give up after 15 mins as you have to call on the day you want the appointment) as my fingers, hand, elbow,back, left hip and shoulder all have that all too familiar dull ache from the core, and my fingers feel like they have a twist in the knuckle....ahhhh well, at least the sun is shining!!!! i shall try again tomorrow morning.... thanks again everyone. Sally.x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I'm in the position of being retired from my job as a care assistnat. The rules are complicated and I think you need some help, as the others say. The helpline are very good, they sent me some booklets that explain things. Also the jobcentre will have a disability advisor who may help. If you go to the Jobcentre site and follow links for disability, their is some useful stuff.

Hope you get sorted out and find some help. I don't suppose you're in a Union? They would be able to help you. love Sue
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi Sally, I think the others and indeed you have given the definition, ie if your hip was the only joint involved and was fully repaired then you no longer have OA. However from what you say you seem to have other OA symptoms and indeed are going to your GP to be advised regarding your OA.
    I was advised by a helpline operator to contact the Disability Law Centre when I felt my employer would be considering that I had been off too long. I emailed them and got some valuable advice and will contact them in the future if I need support. You will find them here http://www.dls.org.uk/
    The best of luck. Linda
  • harleyd14
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hello, I'm in the position of being retired from my job as a care assistnat. The rules are complicated and I think you need some help, as the others say. The helpline are very good, they sent me some booklets that explain things. Also the jobcentre will have a disability advisor who may help. If you go to the Jobcentre site and follow links for disability, their is some useful stuff.

Hope you get sorted out and find some help. I don't suppose you're in a Union? They would be able to help you. love Sue
    hi there Sue, i have just looked through my contract and on the net and it appears that i am not with a union, although they had some good facts on their site, i went to the job ctr and i have to say that they werent that helpful, the CAB were fairly good and are on the back burner should i walk in to a sacking next Thursday!!!
    thanks for the reply and you take care.Sally.x