Need a bit of a moan

Options
ktl297
ktl297 Member Posts: 50
edited 23. Apr 2009, 02:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
I am feeling a bit rubbish at the moment - over the last couple of months I have gone back to work but am still struggling and as of last week I've got inflammation in my neck which is causing nerve pain that is much worse than any joint pain I've had (it seems to be sharper and continuous) and won't be tamed by any amount of painkillers. I've had a steroid injection (general all over one not in my neck) and in desperation I went to the Chiropractor today which gave me relief for now but I can feel it all coming back. I am a bit miserable and I can't do anything and I can't do nothing (lying down hurts too). Hopefully the steroid will kick in soon - I am using a cold pack for 10 mins every 2 hours (as advised) but it's not much use. Anyone got any other suggestions?
KT

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi,sorry your feeling rubbish at the moment.
    i have the continuing neck pain(oa)its affects my arms & shoulders
    but i have all joints in pain.
    have you tryed amitripyline for the nerve pain.its a sleeping tablet but supposed to block nerve pain too.
    i certainly cant answer pain control as mine is not.
    hot baths & heat pads/hot water bottle r what i used & deep heat rub for a bit of relief.
    perhaps another trip to gp to discuss pain relief would be the best idea.have you been referred to pain clinic or seen a rhymy?
    some1 else will be along soon & im just sorry your suffering.
    hope you get some decent pain relief soon. debsx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi KT

Sorry to hear you're feeling rubbish at the moment. :( What about heat? Either a wheat bag around your neck - they have some brilliant scarf shaped ones - or laying back in a hot bath. I always feel heat is more of a comfort than ice but cold is very effective in reducing swelling.

What sort of pillow do you have? A memory foam one could give you a bit more support, if you've not tried one.

Anyone around who could give you a very, very gentle massage (preferably a nice looking hunk)?

......... and are you taking your maximum meds to keep them topped up in your system till you're over this blip?

Do try and rest also, I know it hurts, but maybe work is aggrevating this for you and you're doing too much.

That's all I can think of for now - hope others can offer help too.

Luv Legs offering cyber TLC :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi I'm sorry to hear you are so sore. I get awful sciatica due to my spinal stenosis and like you this nerve pain really is worse than the OA. My hubby tried to help me once get off the floor and I was actually howling when he touched me. I take diazepam to relax my muscles as when in spasm the nerve pain is much worse. It really makes a big difference. I don't take them all the time, just when needed, that may be an option for you to try. You won't believe the difference.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi I'm sorry to hear you are so sore. I get awful sciatica due to my spinal stenosis and like you this nerve pain really is worse than the OA. My hubby tried to help me once get off the floor and I was actually howling when he touched me. I take diazepam to relax my muscles as when in spasm the nerve pain is much worse. It really makes a big difference. I don't take them all the time, just when needed, that may be an option for you to try. You won't believe the difference.

Hi there
    So sorry your pain is not under control. Nerve pain requires different types of painkillers. Amiltriptilline(spelling??) is one as menioned above but another is pregabalin. There are quite a few others too and these may be more effective for you than just ordinary analgesics. Also do you know what is going on long term. Hate to mention it but have you been to an orthopaedic surgeon to see exactly what is causing the nerve pain.
    Hope you get some relief
    Gillx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options

Hi there
    So sorry your pain is not under control. Nerve pain requires different types of painkillers. Amiltriptilline(spelling??) is one as menioned above but another is pregabalin. There are quite a few others too and these may be more effective for you than just ordinary analgesics. Also do you know what is going on long term. Hate to mention it but have you been to an orthopaedic surgeon to see exactly what is causing the nerve pain.
    Hope you get some relief
    Gillx

Hi Gill, yes saw Ortho Consultant and Neurologist. Have end stage OA now, so advanced have lots of bone spurs and bulging discs along with the stenosis. All putting pressure on the nerve. Usually a laminectomy or manipulation of the discs would be called for but I've been told sadly I cannot have either as the deterioration to both my spine and sacral areas is too severe. I have amitryptiline along with diclofenac and Tramadol. Nothing touches it most days. I'm waiting to be seen at the pain clinic here for a total overhaul as they said all that can be done is to try and manage my pain the best they can. I have a high pain threshold and it has to be really really bad for me to struggle. I have high hopes for the pain clinic though, just wish I'd hear from them, over 3 months waiting now.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I have a bone spur touching a nerve in my neck and I know how horrible the pain is. Amatriptiylne makes a difference, and stops some of the strange shooting pains that I get, also heat helps, but I once burnt my skin because the pain was so bad, I preferred the heat pain to the nerve pain. It was'nt until later I noticed to blister! :( so, be careful with heat. :shock:

The only thing I can say is that as long as I remember the amotrip. it keeps reasonably bereable. Also getting my memory foam pillow right was a great help. The physio said a pillow should be about the same width as your shoulder, about 1 1/2 pillows or a memory foam pillow the right width.

I do hope you can find some relief soon, and send all my best wishes and love Sue xx
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    just a note to say be careful with meds.
    amitrpyline cant be taken with diazapam.
    read the leaflets that come with the meds.
    im asking ryhmy for stomach protector as ive been prescribed things that i should have had s/p for & only been given antisickness pills. so beware!!!!!also been given antibiotics that i cant take amitrpyline with .JUST A WARNING as were not always told...debsx
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    im asking ryhmy for stomach protector as ive been prescribed things that i should have had s/p for & only been given antisickness pills. so beware!!!!!also been given antibiotics that i cant take amitrpyline with .JUST A WARNING as were not always told...debsx

Hi all
    Nerve pain really is dreadful isn't it? Amiltryptiline didn't help me (we all respond to different drugs) neither did gabapenten but the one that helped me quite a lot was pregabalin (not sure about spelling sorry getting a bit tired) its trade name is lyrica.
    If you havent tried it, it might be worth a go.

Debs it is bad about the advice or lack of it when taking drugs. Frequently i have been given wrong things together and its only because of my background that i have actually known to mention it.
    So yes it pays to be savvy and aware of everything that is being given to you.
    Gillx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    mash65 wrote:

I agree, I hardly ever take the Amitryptiline although they never said not to take it with Diazepam, no surprises there! I find it makes me very tired in the mornings and having to get up at 5am to make sure my meds are working before work, it's a total no-no. When I've taken it, it's been like being "chapped up for the berries" :lol:
  • purvesrosie
    purvesrosie Member Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm sorry i dont really have any advice. Just wanted to say i hope you feel better soon, Take care
    Rosie x
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    HI KT

Same as Rose really, I don't have anything new to add to the above posts, but I hope you feel better soon.

Nx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I don't think I could take amtrip. and get up for the early shift at work (7.30start)! :( . But the morning tiredness has worn off a lot. When I first started taking it , I thought I'd have to give it up as I felt awful, but after 2 weeks I'm OK. We do all react differently though, hope you feel better soon. Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi KT,

Sorry your feeling like that at the mo, neck pain don't half get you down. I also take the pregabalin and for me it is brilliant at taking out the nerve pain.

I did have the neck injections and I found they really have helped, especially on one side. They are wearing off now and I hope to get them again. It doesn't help your pain now but if you can get them try it as they really did help. Mine were done through the pain clinic.

In the mean time I hope you can get something sorted and find some relief from it all somehow. I send you a cyber ((())) and hope it all gets sorted soon. Take care, Cris
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi KT
    sorry I'm not much use either and I do think it has all been said. Maybe an injection in the neck like Skezier had might be the idea??
    So sorry I think the neck IS one of the worst places to get pain as it really does knock you sick and your head is so heavy (at least it is in my case! :oops: )
    Hope you get sorted soon
    Toni xx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    this is my first venture into the forum so hello to everyone.
    Have you ever thought of Acupuncture to help relieve the pain? I've had some on and off since diagnosis of OA at the end of last year and found it helped a lot with my neck pain and hand pain. Mine was provided by the Physio Dept. in the hospital free of charge.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    ritwren wrote:
    this is my first venture into the forum so hello to everyone.
    Have you ever thought of Acupuncture to help relieve the pain? I've had some on and off since diagnosis of OA at the end of last year and found it helped a lot with my neck pain and hand pain. Mine was provided by the Physio Dept. in the hospital free of charge.

Hi Ritwren - glad to have you aboard and posting - welcome from me.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi All,
    Thanks so much for your advice and kind thoughts! Sometimes it just helps to be heard and understood. I went to see the Chiropractor yesterday and he did acupuncture then massage and then manipulated my neck which was blissful. It's still painful but I can lie down to sleep now at least! Both he and my Dr (and the Rheum Nurse) told me to use cold instead of heat as they say it will reduce the swelling. I am waiting for my Consultant appt to come through and I've tried to get it brought forward but I'm not hopeful. I have got an OT assessment tomorrow though so I'm hoping that will help.

Thanks again - hope you're all having good days today.
    KT
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    KT I'm happy to hear you've gotten some relief. Hopefully you will get your appointment soon. Hope all goes well with the OT.
    Legs thank you for the welcome.