Disappointing appointment

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 22. Apr 2009, 12:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I had my eagerly awaited review appointment following my THR. It was a couple of weeks later than originally expected due to consultant being on hols at Easter. Anyway, my hubby drove me to appointment and we had a 2 hour wait as clinic running overtime. I was ok about it as I had taken a good book.
I got called through and promptly took out my list of questions etc.. only to find out that my consultant was on a course, and the poor registrar had been left with a clinic which had been booked for 2 Dr`s to cope with on his own! Unfortunately, he was unable to answer my questions about my other hip and surgery for that, or anything else really. He has arranged for me to have some physio, as he thinks I have bursitis, and to have spinal x rays. But he advised that Istill do not drive for another 4 weeks , and be reviewed in 4 weeks by the consultant.
I am feeling a bit flat now, as I was hoping to know what my next move was going to be, and more importantly when I can return to work. I drive as a main part of my job, community nurse, so cannot go back yet. My work Occy health are ringing today too! :roll:
Oh well! I will keep going with my good book! I felt sorry for the poor Reg as he was left to deal with all the patients who had been waiting for ages! I would rather have been told my appointment had been cancelled and rearranged for when the consultant was there. And so would my poor hubby who took time off work to take me there.
Sorry this was so long!!!!
NB

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Nearly,
    I am sorry they did this to you. I hope you have better luck in 4 weeks, did they give you that appointment as it would then be assured if not ring them. With my Rumo you can ask to see the main man if you ring his secretary but Ortho's often have a different way and it can be a lottery as to who you see.

Its always worse when you have a lot of questions for them, I hope the physio helps in the mean time and you have a better appointment next time. take care, Cris
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Cris
    yes the Reg gave me the secretary`s number and I was given a date there and then. I asked to ensure that the consultant is in clinic that day, and she said yes!
    I know it`s just one of those things, but you get yourself built up for these appointments and when it doesn`t do to plan it is a big let down.
    At least they are going to investigate my back pain further. And the physio.
    NB
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, What a waist of time :( . Not the Regs fault, sounds like he was dumped in the s****, but, poor administration. I suppose its just really a holding job for the consultant. :x

Never mind, the suns shining and you can make the best of another month!!! I know its not what you wanted but, try and make the best of it, and not get too depressed. Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nearly,

It isn't any comfort but at least it does look like they will get you to see the real man next time. I hope the investigations don't find much and the physio helps.

I know what you mean about getting your self all ready, questions in hand and it all goes flat it is a let down. I don't know about you I come out of some of the opd appointments feeling so small and tearful! Thankfully never as yet with my Rumo, but some of the others......... It's hard sometimes. 4 weeks isn't too long and hopefully your Ocky Health will understand and put your return on hold for a min. It's a bit like a house of cards, thats what these people don't understand, so much rides on their opinion....... oops I am going off om my rant now, sorry! :oops:

You take care and 4 weeks will soon pass, Cris

Hi Sue, Its is nice to see you back :) x
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Nearly,

It isn't any comfort but at least it does look like they will get you to see the real man next time. I hope the investigations don't find much and the physio helps.

I know what you mean about getting your self all ready, questions in hand and it all goes flat it is a let down. I don't know about you I come out of some of the opd appointments feeling so small and tearful! Thankfully never as yet with my Rumo, but some of the others......... It's hard sometimes. 4 weeks isn't too long and hopefully your Ocky Health will understand and put your return on hold for a min. It's a bit like a house of cards, thats what these people don't understand, so much rides on their opinion....... oops I am going off om my rant now, sorry! :oops:

You take care and 4 weeks will soon pass, Cris

Hi Sue, Its is nice to see you back :) x

Hi NB
    Its such a shame when you are expecting so much from an appointment and it falls so short of that. Good that you are being referred to physio and x rays though. Your physio could be a link to some direct messaging to the consultant though as they normally have regular meetings with them throughout the week on the wards etc so if there is something specific you want to ask she could stick your notes under his nose and ask him. (unless of course things have changed big time since i worked. I often used to do that for my patients. Also again not sure it this still happens but i often accompanied a patient to their clinic appt as it made sure important questions got answered and they didnt rush the appointment so much. Worth sounding it out though in case patient care and not note keeping is still a priority in the NHS! :roll:
    Take care love Gillx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Poor old NB :(
    Still as you say it wasn't the reg's fault and was better than being cancelled - that would have been awful :(
    Good luck for the next apt and i hope you will REALLY know where you are going then
    Take care
    Ton x
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks everyone for your replies.It is good to have you lot to talk to about these things.
    :D I have spoken to Occy health and they were understanding (ish). They will be writing to my consultant as I have been off for nearly 12 mths, and i need to see the works consultant too. Pity they didn`t think of that when I was trying to get diagnosed etc... :roll:
    I will keep on with the exercises and wait for further instruction via physio.
    I was hoping to start getting my life back on track, and make plans for the future more. I am really trying to keep my mood up, but am starting to feel down as things are out of my control again.
    :( NB
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi

What a disappointment for you. You would imagine that they knew the consultant would be on a course, and have given you the option to change the appointment. Your husband must be annoyed too, when he has taken time off work.

You mentioned that you might have bursitis in your hip. I have recently been treated for that, and luckily, it has now gone. The doctor tried a cortisone injection, but it didn't work, so then referred me to the physio. She gave me ultrasound treatment, and also acupuncture, with success. The bursitis was extremely painful, so I hope you can get some good advice at your next appointment.

All the best

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Joan
    I have had bursitis before, a long time ago, in my other hip. And I too had an injection and physio then. I hope this resolves soon so I can get back on track.
    I am pleased to hear that yours has cleared up.
    Thanks
    NB
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Nearly,
    Sorry you went through all that. Couldn't you chew your teeth when this happens!!!! But who is there to complain to.
    Hope you get sorted soon.
    Take Care
    Jeannie2