Saw doc re: shoulder pain

Options
denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
edited 25. Apr 2009, 06:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw another Locum doctor I told him that I have OA in both hips and I have terrible pain in my shoulder and arm, he examined me and said he thought I had some OA in there (does he have x-ray eyes or what) told me there was not a lot of restriction there, he asked how long I had had it and told me if it didnt get any better in a few weeks and is more restricted to go back to see him, he SAID you dont want a operation on that as well as your hip do you, |I told him I dont WANT a operation al all but I want to be able to live without so much pain and do the things that I should be able to do. I am in absolute agony at the moment and getting a lot more pain in the right hip and knee as well as my left. I get out of bed in the morning and cant wait to get my hands on my tablets I feel like taking to whole days dose at once to see if that helps. Although I am not stupid enough to do that, but thats the way the pain makes me feel.
I really wish these GPs could begin to understand the pain that arthritis gives people .
Thanks for the rant.
Denise.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Denise

I believe a rant is well in order here. I could not help smiling when reading you have felt like taking the whole daily dose at one time. So have I? Not done it of course but I know where you are coming from there!

Its the way "they" say if it is not better in a few weeks. Well, what do you do with the hellish pain while waiting :?: Hope you are not going to wait "a few weeks". Liked what you said about xrays eyes. :roll: You should have challenged him with that one :roll:

I do hope you feel a little better soon.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Denise,
    I totally agree with Elna, you have every right to be unhappy..... Have you got the same doctors as me i wonder?! They really don't seem at all interested, that sentence 'well I expect it's a bit more OA' gets me so angry!

You probably should get an x ray but how to do that without the doctors help I have yet to find out. I also understand the take all your meds in one hit, the pain don't half get you down. I hope you can find some position that hurts less and as to the doctors you could see if it is possible to see someone else in the practice? My lot are across the bored useless and in effective but i hope your are not quite so bad. It's wrong you have to have a slog out with them though. Take care and I hope you can get something sorted. Cris
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Denise
    Sorry to hear you in so much pain :(
    Wish I could help :(
    I will listen to your totally apropriate rant and see if that helps :!:
    Take care
    Toni xx :(
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Denise
    You rant away !! You need to sometimes. I am sure you have had the pain for a few weeks at least before you went and saw the Dr about it.
    Also we do not choose to need surgery!! Unfortunately `it` chooses us. I hope you are feeling a bit better about your appointment, or will soon . xx
    NB
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    denpen,
    Sorry you're having such a rough time. I understand the 'whole supply' syndrome as well. There's many a time I could cut my hands off.
    Think we all wish we could help but hope you feel better for the rant.
    Jeannie2
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi Sorry to hear you're in so much pain at the moment. Perhaps X-ray eyes are a new requirement for Doctors to save the NHS money :) I really am sorry you'r in such pain though; its so tiring and seems to take over your life. Rant away if it helps - I know I do! Love Sue
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi, I really felt for you reading this post. My OA is in my back and secondary but I started getting severe numbness and pain about 13 weeks ago. They said it was lifting my baby son, he's a whopper at 25lbs. But after letting everyone do it for me and the pain not subsiding I went back and asked for further investigation. Waiting on an MRI, don't think it's OA but am sure it's nerve related. I know how sore it is. The only thing i can say is where heat helps my back it does nothing for my shoulder, after much trepidation I got the peas out the freezer. Awful but it does help. Also sleeping with my arm outstretched seems to alleviate it too, much to the chagrin of the hubby who gets it in his chops :lol: Love hurts ha ha
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    HI
    Thank you so much for all your replies, I have tears in my eyes while reading them you are such a support when things are rough And rough they are at the mo..... I have had this this shoulder pain since last year it hurts all during the night and when I try to lift the kettle in a morning when making a cup of tea so I have to use the other arm. Anyway on another note I see the consultant next week re: Hip (hopefully he will put me on the list for a hip replacement) we shall wait and see about that one.
    Thanks again or all your support.
    Denise.x
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi Den no I think your rant is justified and I think that we should be maybe doing more of it. I am beginning to think that we are the forgotten minority. Every time a medical advance is on the news my heart skips a beat thinking it may be us, but it never is. I think that maybe because we are all quiety dignified and plod on we get forgotten sometimes. Maybe we all need to shout a bit louder!
  • dogxtc
    dogxtc Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Denise
    I have been wondering how you got on with your visit and result pretty much as I experienced. One doctor told me five years ago its an age thing and get used to it. I have similar experiences to you and the pain is getting me down. I have to take naproxen when needed. What does that mean. I keep putting off taking it as I don't know if I am needy enough! How often should I take it if regular to keep the demons at bay. I hurt like mad when driving, can only sleep two hours and then wake stiff and sore and having to move (fell asleep on road other day briefly and woke as I was about to collide with bollard which is frightening but doctor makes no comment. Dropped a tray of boiling lasagne out of oven yesterday as my hand just wouldn't hold it and it is so getting me down. Off to hip doctor next week for another put down no doubt. Never been really examined, apart from the x ray eyes syndrome, what a godsend they are to the medical profession. Good luck and hope you feel better today.
    Regards
    Mags
  • frogslegs
    frogslegs Member Posts: 26
    Options
    My shoulder started aching about 20 years ago when I was 30...really difficult putting on a coat and raising my arm....doctors just prescribed me anti-flams but no x.rays. Just 5 years ago I tripped up the stairs and was unable to raise the arm more than 6 inches away from hip..but fortunately could raise the arm for a glass of wine (obiglatory here in france) the french x.rayed me and it was calcific tendonitis....had about 20 physio treatments and different drugs, probalby arthrotec which has helped....still get pain but not as acute.