Am I doing the right thing?

Options
marie48
marie48 Member Posts: 189
edited 22. Apr 2009, 18:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I took Amytriptyline 10 mgs for 2 weeks. GP said it will work after 1 week, so far it has not helped except for making me very drowsy and sleep well at night. I still get the constant pins and needles. Just to update I suffer from arthritis of the neck. I have decided to stop taking them as they are not helping. I sleep fairly well despite the pains and aches of my other joints. Funny enough I seem to be painless when I lie in bed, am not sure if it is because I use a memory mattress and pillow. My pain is manageable at the moment, it is more or less a dull ache. Something you can put up with, although can be draining at times. My neck is very stiff but have some movement in it, and can do the usual neck exercises as recommended by arc.

I am also seeing physio on the 18th May, can you believe I have been on the waiting list since Jan and it is only when GP asked for a fast tract appointment, I got one with four weeks waiting list. The other reason I decided to stop the Amy is the physio has now got the results of my scan, I have a trapped nerve & two cervical discs are worn out. I want to be able to start the physio treatment without being on any medication. if possible. That will give me a better idea of what works. Am I doing the right thing, I hope!! At the moment, although suffering from aches in most joints. I still potter about in the garden since the weather has been lovely lately. I do it in stages. Although I am more worried about my neck, it is my back who is giving more trouble every day and I have to watch when I get the signals to stop like twinges etc. I do know my limitation.

Hope the weather is shining where you all live. Take care. Marie X

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Marie :D

As you say, the weather is shining around here isn't it? Likewise hope everyone's able to enjoy a few rays!

Well, if the amp is not doing much good then you may as well stay off it. You are able to get out into the garden and enjoy the good weather so that is a bonus and you know your limitations so sounds like you are doing ok. Let's hope you have a good physio and something postive happens for you.

Look after yourself, which you appear to be doing :D

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Marie

I had the same problem with Amytriptyline, so I choose not to take mine as well, its so easy for doctors to say to take them as we all react different, but sounds like you are being careful

Take care

debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Mraie
    I wouldn't take anything if it didn't do anything, but you can keep it in reserve incase you need it. I am on 25mg of it and don't always take it.
    As for getting out and about in the garden - that is GOOD therapy and one of my favourites too! :wink:
    So long as you know your limitations and i think you do - enjoy it
    Take care
    Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I take amatrip and find it does help a bit, although the sleepiness in the morning took a while to wear of (about 2 weeks or so), and I was about to stop taking it because of that. We are all different and what works for one person, does nothing for the next, so I think you are right to stop taking it. I hope you find something to help you soon Love Sue
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi, I think you are making the right decision, I stopped mines due to excessive dreams and tiredness on waking. My hubby asked me to describe the dreams and all I could think of was "kill or be killed" very weird and gory.
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Have those of you who have problems of tiredness in the mornings tried taking your Ami earlier in the evening, I used to take mine at around 8.30 and that way I would wake up rested and ready for the day.. this was when I was still working and waiting for a hip-replacement. The Ami was prescribed 10mg as a muscle relaxant specifically to allow me to get some sleep as I was still working.. I only took it when I had had a few sleepless nights due to resting pain and for no other reason... If you don't get pain at night then there is no point in taking it.. can't think why its been prescribed if there is no night pain...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    tanith wrote:
    Have those of you who have problems of tiredness in the mornings tried taking your Ami earlier in the evening, I used to take mine at around 8.30 and that way I would wake up rested and ready for the day.. this was when I was still working and waiting for a hip-replacement. The Ami was prescribed 10mg as a muscle relaxant specifically to allow me to get some sleep as I was still working.. I only took it when I had had a few sleepless nights due to resting pain and for no other reason... If you don't get pain at night then there is no point in taking it.. can't think why its been prescribed if there is no night pain...

Hi There
    There is no point in taking drugs that dont help you and ami doesnt actually cure anything it is just to help with the pain an if it doesnt even do that you are probably right to leave it out. There are other things you can try instead that may give you better pain relief. You could ask at your next appointment.
    Gillx