Rheumatologist meeting -- ideas please.

Options
averyniceman
averyniceman Member Posts: 75
edited 26. Apr 2009, 17:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have an appointment with my Rheumatologist tomorrow morning -- so this is a late post just in case someone comes up with some good ideas about the meeting.

I have not been diagnosed with anything yet. I have pain which flits from joint to joint -- but it is always in my right knee. There are no swolen joints as far as I can see and there are no tender joints either.

I am very fit and I feel great -- apart from the pain! I've had the pain since Christmas.

My RF is elevated --68. I am CCP negative. I think he said that I am CRP negative too.

This is the third appointment with the guy -- any suggestions before 11 tomorrow much appreciated.

Comments

• jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You could always ask the doc to put a label on your problem (they're not always keen) or you could get a second opinion?

Diagnosis sometimes takes a while.
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi jenzie
    The only tip i can give you is write down all the things you want to ask, you forget once you get in and the rheumy side tracks you.
    Colin
  • averyniceman
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:
    You could always ask the doc to put a label on your problem (they're not always keen) or you could get a second opinion?

Diagnosis sometimes takes a while.
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

The label he has put on it is "flitting arthralgia" -- but on investigation that is just a description of my symptoms, not a diagniosis.

He just says "I can't give you a diagnosis -- come back in two months"
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    HEllo,
    Thats a long time to have pain, and very frustrating not to have a label to put on it. I'm sorry, apart from writting down questions, which someone has suggested, its hard to think of anything. I always take my husband with me, as hes better at remebering the answers :roll: . Maybe asking him to write down any medical expressions or words - especially if they are hard to remeber! Or ask him if he minds if you write down anything you may find useful to remeber for your own use. They are my only words of wisdom - not very wise I'm afraid. Hope all goes well Sue
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    when i came out of 1st rhymy appointment,he'd dx o/a & gave me a referal sheet for physio that had written on it my dx.
    because there were 3 different conditions written on it i asked the physio dept to photo copy it for me before i left.
    the i had a copy off dx & looked it all up.then joined this site ,the rhymy gave me this address too.
    good luck with your appointment,my nx 1s on mon. debsx
  • averyniceman
    Options
    So -- it turns out that I have no inflammation at all. And there's no swelling or tenderness of my joints.

And although I have RF in my blood 5-10% of the population have it and are healthy.

And I don't have any anti-CCP antibodies.

So -- I do not have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

He says:"it's just aches and pains. In the old days they would have called it Rheumatism. Take paracetamol when you need to. See you in six months."

I'm kind of pleased.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi, I felt so sorry for you reading your post. When you don't have a diagnosis yet you feel in a total quandary. You even start to think you'll never find out and that's a horrible feeling. Make sure if you are not happy you get a second opinion. They really should be trying to get to the bottom of things. Think of all the things you want to ask and write them down, don't feel you are taking up their time, you need to get answers. The first consultant I saw was useless and I asked for another opinion, the second was wonderful. He was very frank and it did upset me hearing everything but afterwards I couldn't complain as I knew exactly where I stood as he was so honest. I hope you find some answers soon, being in pain and not knowing the cause is very distressing. You feel sometimes they don't believe you. Best of luck, keep us posted if you can xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi
    I'm kind of pleased too - after all you ARE a very nice man (do you wish you hadn't chosen that name yet?!) and I don't want anything to be wrong with any of us.
    But I am also pleased that you are seeing him in 6 months and not being written off. You never know in that time an answer may become clear :wink:
    Take care
    Toni x
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi,

Kind of pleased??? Well I'm pleased for you lol

Perhaps in time the pain you have may disappear or the cause become obvious........ but for the moment embrace the rheumys diagnosis :)

Good luck, I do hope all this clears itself up - let us know how your keeping though won't you?

Jackie x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    So -- it turns out that I have no inflammation at all. And there's no swelling or tenderness of my joints.

And although I have RF in my blood 5-10% of the population have it and are healthy.

And I don't have any anti-CCP antibodies.

So -- I do not have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

He says:"it's just aches and pains. In the old days they would have called it Rheumatism. Take paracetamol when you need to. See you in six months."

I'm kind of pleased.

Happy for you :D
    take care
    Page
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    The last time I sae the rhummy he sent me off to Neuro to saying he thought I could have myasthenia Gravis, a mucle waisting disease, with no cure, but can be well controlled for most people.

Scared the S... out of me. :oops: A simple blood test by the neuro proved I'm OK, thank God. :shock:

He did explain that I had OA in my spine and hip etc. after I asked, but was very reluctant to tell me anything and not very approchable. My GP also had trouble getting a report on my condition. He saw only a locumn, I fould out from the secretary. So I don't think this is normal.

Other doctors at the hospital have been very informative and helpful. I hope you get on well. I always find it hard to remember what I want to ask, so write it down. :) Good wishes for tomorrow Sue