alternatives to L.A home help

Options
tjenny54321
tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
edited 23. Apr 2009, 13:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
I get 2 hours a week from local authority for housework but I would like to get someone else occasionally particularly as there are certain jobs they are not allowed to do. I'm not suggesting that I want them window cleaning or painting. I've had some helpers already from a variety of sources. Two moved on due to changes in circumstances ie moving out area. I don't want family helping as this has caused problems. Unfortunately I've also had my share of unreliable people which is the main irritating factor when getting private person in. Agencies charge a small fortune and always in advance. Has anyone found a more reliable alternative. I feel I cope better with life if my house is a bit less chaotic.

thanks tjenny54321

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Have you thought about direct payments? If you are eligable.
    You get the money to pay them yourself so you can have a more regular person and get more organised.
    Joseph - where do you look for info on direct payments???!!!
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Have you asked any friends if they can recommend someone, its always better to have someone vouch for a person.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything useful, I'm afraid. All I can say, and it sounds as if you have experience of this, is be careful, theirs some nasty people around, but also some very nice ones too! :)
    Love Sue
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, we have employed a cleaning firm, we asked for references and they were provided, they are a bit dearer but worth every penny, ours even mend things for us, the cleaning is first class, they will do everything we ask, we also have a window cleaning firm who do the outside of the windows once a month, hope this helps in some way love Jaspercatxx
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi
    Have you thought about direct payments? If you are eligable.
    You get the money to pay them yourself so you can have a more regular person and get more organised.
    Joseph - where do you look for info on direct payments???!!!
    Toni x

Hi tjenny - if you go onto the Directgov website and search for Direct Payments you will find information there. I am a researcher and last year I did some research interviewing people on direct payments - it doesn't work for everyone, there is quite a lot of paperwork involved but in a lot of areas you can get help with that from local disability organisations. Definitely worth looking into.

Good luck.

Wendy