Post Knee Arthroscopy

Options
anaabh
anaabh Member Posts: 25
edited 24. Apr 2009, 13:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Well ,I had my knee surgery on Tuesday. I was so excited to get it done but I'm wishing now I hadn't.

The op went well, but I was pretty poorly afterwards with my blood pressure dropping through my boots, to quote a doctor. A trip to resus, drips, vomiting everywhere and feeling like I was gonna die!!!!! :?

I had to stay in overnight but came out the following morning (yesterday) and have been in constant pain since. I can't weight bear at all, it's swollen to the size of a melon, I can't move around cos they couldn't find any crutches before I left the ward and I'm having to drag myself from one piece of furniture to the next.

I'm a single mum and my boys are only 7 and 5 so I'm having to rely on friends to come out of their way to get the kids to school. I'm just really tearful and down now cos I never imagined it would be like this and I was so positive about it before hand.

Sorry to moan but I just feel quite miserable :(:cry:

Anna

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Anna
    Firstly i want to send you a big (((((((hug)))))))
    It is understandable that you are feeling tearful and low. You have had an anaesthetic, which takes time to get over, but on top of that you had the BP drop etc..
    You need to be gentle on yourself and rest. (not easy with 2 children , I know! :roll: ) If you knee is swollen, you need to elevate it and try not to walk about too much. I had a piece of bone removed from my knee a few years ago and I didn`t get any crutches at first! It wasn`t until I nearly fell whilst trying to leave the ward that the staff found some for me. They had originally said they couldn`t get me any as physio was closed by the time I was ready to go home! Could you ask your GP if he could sort something out re crutches? Or even ring the ward you were on and explain how difficult it is, especially with 2 young children to cope with too.
    You would still need some help with school run etc.. even if everything had gone more smoothly so don`t worry too much about accepting help until you are feeling better. You will recover better if you allow your body time to rest and recuperate.
    Take care xx
    NB
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Anna

Poor you. It all sounds like a nightmare. I am sure you feel much worse all round than "quite miserable". Not being able to produce crutches for you seems a bit strong too.

Is anyone going to have having a look at your knee today? You should be able to weight bear after an arthro. I would definitely seek advice today.

Ice and elevation may help to bring the swelling down. Is it bandaged at the mo? Usually is, for a day or so and then it can be removed.

I am sure your friends do not mind at all helping you out. It is plain for them to see that you cannot manage at the moment.

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful. I cannot quite believe that the hospital packed you off home with no means of getting around and presumably no guidance as to what to do once home.

I have had three arthro's done and never had to go through what you have and are describing. This is not normal.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Anna

I expect you came home with painkillers and anti inflammatories if you do not already use them?

If you begin to get any of the following symptoms do not hesitate to call the medics:

Fever
    Chills
    Persistent warmth or redness around the knee
    Persistent or increased pain
    Significant swelling in your knee
    Increasing pain in your calf muscle

I hope you can rest the leg today but also some movement if possible.

Where you given any exercises to do?

Luv
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • anaabh
    Options
    Thank you both

I feel so stupid sitting here writing this with tears dripping down my face, but I have managed to get hold of the surgical secretary who has arranged for me to pick up some crutches thankfully!

I've also managed to get an appointment with the practice nurse at 3pm today, she's going to check the wound and re bandage my leg because it swelled so badly yesterday they advised me to remove it :?

Even with the medication this pain seems quite excessive so I will ask her about that as well.

I didn't get to see the physios so I've got no post op excercises but thank you for reminding me cos it seems this is going to be a bit of a long haul and I wanna get back to normal asap!!!

I also have a sad looking labrador staring at me waiting for his walk, oh well it can only get better and I do feel brighter for receiving your replies.

Thank you

Anna
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    anaabh wrote:
    Thank you both

I feel so stupid sitting here writing this with tears dripping down my face, but I have managed to get hold of the surgical secretary who has arranged for me to pick up some crutches thankfully!

I've also managed to get an appointment with the practice nurse at 3pm today, she's going to check the wound and re bandage my leg because it swelled so badly yesterday they advised me to remove it :?

Even with the medication this pain seems quite excessive so I will ask her about that as well.

I didn't get to see the physios so I've got no post op excercises but thank you for reminding me cos it seems this is going to be a bit of a long haul and I wanna get back to normal asap!!!

I also have a sad looking labrador staring at me waiting for his walk, oh well it can only get better and I do feel brighter for receiving your replies.

Thank you

Anna

Anna my heart goes out to you but I'm so relieved you've managed to arrange some crutches and an appointment with the practice nurse. It sounds like you've had a really tough time of it but hopefully you will soon be back on your feet. It may be slow going but you will get there. It's often a good idea to write down all the things you want to ask your practice nurse as it's easy to come away and then think, I should have asked about that. With regards to pain relief, you may need something stronger than you've been used to taking for the next week or so. Please do let us all know how you get on this afternoon. Hang in there. good luck.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Anna

You have done brilliantly getting things sorted and it is only 10.00 am. Perhaps you should jot down what you wish to ask so as nothing is forgotten. I take it you have someone taking you to get the crutches, or collecting them for you, and to the nurse this afternoon.

I live in Marlow. I think I saw somewhere that you live in Bucks. Anywhere near me by any chance? I'll gladly take you labrador for walkies!! I do not drive but I have a bicycle!!!!!!!

Chin up, you are doing well under the circumstances,

Luv
    Elna x

• mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Anna

You have done brilliantly getting things sorted and it is only 10.00 am. Perhaps you should jot down what you wish to ask so as nothing is forgotten. I take it you have someone taking you to get the crutches, or collecting them for you, and to the nurse this afternoon.

I live in Marlow. I think I saw somewhere that you live in Bucks. Anywhere near me by any chance? I'll gladly take you labrador for walkies!! I do not drive but I have a bicycle!!!!!!!

Luv
    Elna x

Hi Anna
    Havent got any more advice than the others have already given you, but just to offer you a big cyber hug because you need one after what you have been through. First few days post op are always difficult and the hospital dont seem to have been very efficient in helping you out. Take any help friends or family offer. You need it now and i am sure you will return the favour one day when needed. Hope your little ones behave for you, it is hard when you have children and dont feel great. Give your lab an exta bonio and hug and the promise of a good long run when you are feeling better. Maybe one of your friends could help out with that now the longer evenings are here.
    Take care and hope you are feeling better soon
    Gillx
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Anna

Luv
    Elna x

Hi Elna
    you are not far from me, im in Herts and I have a bernese mountain dog................ :wink::lol:
    love Gillx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Elna
    you are not far from me, im in Herts and I have a bernese mountain dog................ :wink::lol:
    love Gillx[/quote]

Hi Gill :D

I hope you are doing ok today.

You made me laugh! Will your bernese mountain dog run over and get me? 8) :lol::lol::lol: That's a bit far for me on the bicycle. :lol::lol:

Luv
    Elna x

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Sorry to read you've had such an awful time. I expect you've got shock as well, after all you've been through and feeling tearful is quite natural but not nice, as well as the pain.

I love the sound of your dog, I wish I lived near enough to take him for a walk, but you might not get him back....... :shock: :D .

I'm glad you're seeing the nurse and hope she can make it more comfortable for you. Sending you get well wishes and hugs,
    Love Sue xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Anna,

Sorry its all gone so wrong for you, to react to the anesthetic like that is rough. If you ever need another ask them for the white stuff in a syringe.... I think it starts with a M and it so much better for those of us who can't handle the gas......

I hope it all settles down and you make a quick and good recovery.

Labs eh? They always want walking :wink: but he will be fine and he will understand somewhere...... Is he black, yellow or chocolate? Not that it matters :lol: My old one is yellow but she has had such a bad life till she was rescued and she is probably ancient and doesn't do this walking business now.

Take care,
    Cris

Hey Elna, you can walk slipper boy if you like, he'd be more than happy to pull you on your bike....... He might take you cross country....... In fact yo can have him and my Harrier and you'd be at Gills before dusk......... :lol::wink: . x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hey Elna, you can walk slipper boy if you like, he'd be more than happy to pull you on your bike....... He might take you cross country....... In fact yo can have him and my Harrier and you'd be at Gills before dusk......... . x

Good grief, Cris, I am feeling bike sick already just thinking about it and I am sitting in front of the pc!
    Luv
    Elna x

• skezier
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hey Elna, you can walk slipper boy if you like, he'd be more than happy to pull you on your bike....... He might take you cross country....... In fact yo can have him and my Harrier and you'd be at Gills before dusk......... . x

Good grief, Cris, I am feeling bike sick already just thinking about it and I am sitting in front of the pc!
    Luv
    Elna x

.................. I can't think why.............. They'd get you there but you would possibly be modeling that special 'pulled through the hedge backwards' look (and indeed you probably would have been) that some of us wear with pride.............. :lol: x (Think my sensible head got lost today....?)
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    anaabh wrote:
    Thank you both

Thank you

Anna

Hi Anna

Just wanted to add a cyber-hug to the other ones you've received and hope that you'll soon be feeling better.

I had similar BP problems after one arthroscopy and also quite severe pain though not anything like as bad as yours by the sound of it. But the pain did ease and the end result was worth it.

I think I said to someone on another thread that arthroscopies can make you feel worse before you feel better. Because it's 'keyhole' we forget that quite a lot may have been done inside the knee plus the effects of the anaesthetic, so what your experience is not so surprising, even if more intense than some people .

So don't beat yourself for feeling miserable, just 'go with the flow' but hopefully as your knee starts to heal you will start to feel better in yourself.

Take care

Wendy
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    So sorry to hear you're having a terrible time. Have you tried out a cold pack on your knee? It helps with swelling etc
    Hope you feel better soon! x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Anna,

Just wondered how it went with the nurse?

Take care,
    Cris
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Anna

I'm so sorry your arthroscopy has caused you some problems. I had it done last Dec. and I also had a big drop in blood pressure, causing me to pass out. They said it was a reaction to the anaesthetic, but luckily I was allowed home the same evening. Did you have a local anaesthetic? I did, and I was surprised that it had that effect on me.

I wasn't given crutches, or even a stick, even though I could barely walk. I was limping badly, and three days after the op. I developed bursitis in my hip, caused by limping. The pain from this was worse than the knee, and could have been avoided if I had been given crutches. I am glad you have managed to get some, and they should help a lot.

I was convinced that the arthroscopy had made things worse for me at first. I was in much more pain than I expected, and couldn't put weight on my knee for quite a while. The consultant had led me to believe that my recovery would be rapid, so I thought it had gone wrong when I was struggling to walk. Also, I think I tried to do too much too soon, and should have rested more. Even though it is classed as a minor operation, it is still invasive, and a bit of a trauma to the body.

However, gradually things improved, and after a few weeks I felt the benefit of the op.The pain hasn't gone completely because they found that the OA in my knee was much worse than they thought, and I will probably need a knee replacement. But at present, I can live with it, and I am walking much better now. I can also sleep much better because before the op. my knee used to lock in the night and wake me up frequently, and it doesn't any more.

It is important for you to do exercises every day to keep the joint flexible. Have you been instructed on this ? But you must try to rest as much as possible too.It must be very difficult for you with two children, so hopefully, your friends will keep helping you out. Regarding the dog, could you afford to employ a dog-walker for a while? A vet would probably know of one in your area.

I hope you will soon start to feel better, and be more pain-free in the future. Take care of yourself,
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • anaabh
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Anna

I'm so sorry your arthroscopy has caused you some problems. I had it done last Dec. and I also had a big drop in blood pressure, causing me to pass out. They said it was a reaction to the anaesthetic, but luckily I was allowed home the same evening. Did you have a local anaesthetic? I did, and I was surprised that it had that effect on me.

I wasn't given crutches, or even a stick, even though I could barely walk. I was limping badly, and three days after the op. I developed bursitis in my hip, caused by limping. The pain from this was worse than the knee, and could have been avoided if I had been given crutches. I am glad you have managed to get some, and they should help a lot.

I was convinced that the arthroscopy had made things worse for me at first. I was in much more pain than I expected, and couldn't put weight on my knee for quite a while. The consultant had led me to believe that my recovery would be rapid, so I thought it had gone wrong when I was struggling to walk. Also, I think I tried to do too much too soon, and should have rested more. Even though it is classed as a minor operation, it is still invasive, and a bit of a trauma to the body.

However, gradually things improved, and after a few weeks I felt the benefit of the op.The pain hasn't gone completely because they found that the OA in my knee was much worse than they thought, and I will probably need a knee replacement. But at present, I can live with it, and I am walking much better now. I can also sleep much better because before the op. my knee used to lock in the night and wake me up frequently, and it doesn't any more.

It is important for you to do exercises every day to keep the joint flexible. Have you been instructed on this ? But you must try to rest as much as possible too.It must be very difficult for you with two children, so hopefully, your friends will keep helping you out. Regarding the dog, could you afford to employ a dog-walker for a while? A vet would probably know of one in your area.

I hope you will soon start to feel better, and be more pain-free in the future. Take care of yourself,
    Joan

Morning all,

Well my trip to the nurse wasn't great, I got told off for moaning, she said I'd had surgery and what an earth did I expect, then she had a moan when she discovered the wounds had been stitched and that I'd have to come back to have them out!

Good news though is that I saw my GP as I was about to leave and she had a quick look, agreed it was very swollen and said it may be fluid that needs draining off, so she is coming out to see me at home today :)

I've got my crutches which are helping as my good leg was really aching and my codeine has been increased, it make me really dozy as the kids discovered when I feel asleep reading them a bedtime story :lol:

I must say I too was told by my consultant that this was a simple precedure that would have me in some discomfort the day after but that I would probably be back driving 48 to 72hrs later :shock: I think he must just have a whacky sense of humour!

I would really like to say that all your replies have given me such a boost when I felt like there was no one who would understand. This site and the members on it have felt like gold dust to me since my moaning post.

Thankyou

Anna

I
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    anaabh wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Anna

Joan

Morning all,

Well my trip to the nurse wasn't great, I got told off for moaning, she said I'd had surgery and what an earth did I expect, then she had a moan when she discovered the wounds had been stitched and that I'd have to come back to have them out!

Good news though is that I saw my GP as I was about to leave and she had a quick look, agreed it was very swollen and said it may be fluid that needs draining off, so she is coming out to see me at home today :)

I've got my crutches which are helping as my good leg was really aching and my codeine has been increased, it make me really dozy as the kids discovered when I feel asleep reading them a bedtime story :lol:

I must say I too was told by my consultant that this was a simple precedure that would have me in some discomfort the day after but that I would probably be back driving 48 to 72hrs later :shock: I think he must just have a whacky sense of humour!

I would really like to say that all your replies have given me such a boost when I felt like there was no one who would understand. This site and the members on it have felt like gold dust to me since my moaning post.

Thankyou

Anna

I
    Good morning Anna,
    I'm happy to hear your GP is keeping an eye on you and you've gotten your crutches and extra pain relief. Don't worry too much about being tired for a few days, you will be after a GA anyhow. Pity that nurse could'nt have been a bit more understanding. :roll:
    I think sometimes medical staff have no idea of the pain and discomfort folks go through with their so called minor procedures. I hope you get a good rest this weekend and all goes well with your GP today. Take good care.
    rita
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Anna

Hope you are feeling more positive today and in less pain. I was told that after a GA, on day 3, it is possible to feel low, rather like the third day “blues” that mums get after delivery of a baby. It should only last 2 days if that. My surgeon told me this after my total knee replacement.

Keep smiling!

Luv
    Elna

• anaabh
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Anna

Hope you are feeling more positive today and in less pain. I was told that after a GA, on day 3, it is possible to feel low, rather like the third day “blues” that mums get after delivery of a baby. It should only last 2 days if that. My surgeon told me this after my total knee replacement.

Keep smiling!

Luv
    Elna

Hi Elna

I'm glad you mention this because this morning I had a surprise visit from 5 dog walkers who I see every day but never knew their names (we all know the dog names though :lol: ) They said they were worried about me hobbling over the field on crutches with Marley (my dog) and offered to set up a rota to walk him.

I stood there and burst into tears, and if you knew me you'd know how unusual that is! Do hope this weepiness passes tho, people are gonna start thinking I've lost the plot soon!!!

Anna
  • elnafinn
    Options
    anaabh wrote:
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Anna

Keep smiling!

Luv
    Elna

Hi Elna

I'm glad you mention this because this morning I had a surprise visit from 5 dog walkers who I see every day but never knew their names (we all know the dog names though :lol: ) They said they were worried about me hobbling over the field on crutches with Marley (my dog) and offered to set up a rota to walk him.

I stood there and burst into tears, and if you knew me you'd know how unusual that is! Do hope this weepiness passes tho, people are gonna start thinking I've lost the plot soon!!!

Anna

Hi Anna

I think GA or not, I would have burst out crying if my dog walker friends had done what you have just written. How kind of them. Where are my tissues?! One less worry for you now, Marley is ok! :D Just got to get you sorted. :)

Luv
    Elna x

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Anna
    I'm glad to hear that your GP is coming out to you :!: It almost seems unusual these days, doesn't it ? Hopefully, if the fluid is drained, you will feel more comfortable. My stitches were self-dissolving ones, so I was spared having them out.

How nice of your dog-walking friends to help you with Marley. People are so kind, and it is at times like this that you discover new friends too. I hope you are coping with the children too. Now it is the weekend, you will have them at home, so try to make sure you don't overdo things.I'm sure that as each day comes, you will start to feel the benefits of the operation, and your pain will decrease.

Joan

:D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • skezier
    Options

Anna[/quote]

Hi Anna,

I'm glad you had some luck with the doctor, did he have to remove any fluid?

The emotional bit......... I have it all the time now....... I think it's my age! :lol:

Really glad Marley is being walked as thats another thing you don't have to worry about and it's good when people are nice eh?

Take care and hope it all gets a lot better for you a lot quicker.
    Cris
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi again,
    I hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Don't forget, when friends do things for you it gives them a feeling of being helpful and its a nice feeling when you feel you've done something useful and made a difference, so they get something from it too. I know thats true for me. Its why I worked as a care assistant for so long. Lots and lots of feel good wishes, Sue