MRI

Options
alison67
alison67 Member Posts: 70
edited 27. Apr 2009, 07:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

i've got an appt today for an m.r.i sacn as i have felt 'crunching' sounds when i turn my head, no pain as such. Just wondering if anyone else has this or has had the scan?
Thanks. :)

Comments

• mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    alison67 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

i've got an appt today for an m.r.i sacn as i have felt 'crunching' sounds when i turn my head, no pain as such. Just wondering if anyone else has this or has had the scan?

Hi Alison
    MRI scan is a sort of X ray but uses magnetic rays instead. Its not painful. You lie on a table which is then slid into a tunnel like machine. (some of them are quite wide.) Its noisy and clunky but they play your choice of music through headphones and you have a button to press if you need the raiologists attention and can talk to them. You have to lie still and it takes approx 1/2 hour or so. I actually fell asleep in my last one!! You might be a bit stiff having to lie still for a while though so it is a good idea to take your painkillers beforehand. Hope it all goes well. Keep us posted.
    Gillx 8)
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Yes I've had a few. It's ok a little claustrophobic but they do give you music to listen to. They are really very understanding and if you feel uncomfortable they will stop for you. It's a good scan to get as shows everything up, I got full accurate answers after them. Good luck x
  • elaine5000
    elaine5000 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    alison67 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Hi Alison :D
    I had two scans at same appointment on both hands & wrists. They had to do them seperately one after the other...needless to say I had good sleep. :lol:
    I have terrible clunking noises in my neck with pain, back stiffness and painful coccyx. Could do with an MRI done on this, too.
    As already suggested it's a good idea to take your painkillers beforehand as you will feel rather stiff from being still.
    Elaine x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello Alison,
    Yes and Yes, :roll: For a long, long time I've had the cruchie crackling sound in my ears when I moved my head, didn't do anything about it though, until I had a lot of pain moving my head and just pain sittin, it also tracked into my shoulders and arms, left side mostly. The rummy sent me for the MRI, which was just uncomfortable and a bit chilly! Quite noisy too. They let me keep my clothes on as they had no metal, but I had to take my bra off, as it had metal wires and fasteners. :oops: . It didn't seem to last too long and I was suprised it was about 1/2 an hour or so. Hope you get on well. Love Sue :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Hi Alison
    Have had MRI in the past and didn't enjoy it overmuch as I am a bit claustrophobic. So I kept my eyes shut and listened to the music - lots of loud 'banging' sounds when they take the photos, but it only takes about 20 mins.
    Very good luck
    Toni x
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    I had an MRI scan for my neck three weeks ago. They gave me ear plugs to put in my ears. I did not enjoy it as the tunnel wad quite narrow but was told to ring the bell if needed. I wore jogger pans and loose top with no bra and did not have to undress there. Mine took 10 mins but it seemed a long time, I closed my eyes throughout the scan and being such a whimp I was saying my prayers. I think I would rather listen to music.

I, too suffer from crunching noise in my neck as if it needs oiling, but not painful. I have been reassured coming on the forum that I am not the only one with that complaint.
  • alison67
    alison67 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Hi all,

thanks for all your posts :) . Had my m.r.i done and it wasn't very pleasant but got through o.k. I'll post again when results come through. Hope everyone's well and thanks again.x