mtx from injections back to tablets

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 27. Apr 2009, 15:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi all, well my rheumy nurse has been great, i rang her when the mtx injections were causing me severe sickness, she has rung me every week to see how i am. she has spoken to my rheumy and they wanted me to start my injections again but less frequently, but due to the sickness and issues with blood tests i said i really didn't want to start injections again as the thought of it made me feel sick so as far as i was concerned it was'nt a good idea. so we decided to give the tablets ago again, on a slightly lower dose (20mg, i was taking 25mg) so i just spoke to my gp and she's done a prescription for me which i'll collect later. i'm just concerned about the sickness still though.
nurse said to take folic acid every day except the day i take mtx which she hopes will help, buti just worry if i do feel sick i still have to take care of sarah, my 2yr old, my eldest ellie who's 10 luckily is more independent so thats one thing.
i guess i should try not to think about it but i have had such a big problem with sickness on mtx it's hard not to think about it!
i have an appointment to see rheumy nurse in 2 weeks (6th may) to discuss the meds but she has already said that even if they change my meds it's most likely that i'll have to go back to injections as most of the rheumy meds are done by injection, so that is just not helping.
i have never had a fear of injections before but with all thats gone on with blood tests etc i think i have a fear now.
sorry, i'm ranting and complaining, i'll stop now!
sue

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Not much I can say really except it may not be as bad as you think, and I hope it's not. Can you take a anti-emetic with the mxt? I really hope it settles and doesn't do that to you his time.

Take care,
    Cris
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi there, giving yourself jabs is horrible isn't it? I haven't had to do it with with Rheum meds yet, I've only been taking MTX for 10 weeks but I had to inject myself with Clexane, a blood thinning drug, every day for 6 weeks after the birth of both of my children - I hated it but it was a necessary evil. My Rheumy mentioned maybe having to switch to MTX jabs and I must admit my heart sank - I really hope I get to stay on the tablets as the side effects don't seem too bad for me yet - the only thing is they think I'm developing rheumatoid nodules so I might even have to come off the MTX :roll: whay are our meds so tricky to get right eh?!

Hang in there Suz - I'm sure it'll get better for you. :wink:

xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Aw Sue :( :!:
    I don't blame you at all!!!
    Feeling sick and being sick and STILL feeling sick is awful isn't it? :( I too wouldn't want to try again. Let us just hope and pray that you don't be sick on the tablets.
    As for the injection phobia - it does seem pathetic I know but I can't doo needles either so I understand.
    I used to give blood regularly but for a few yearsnow Someone (hubby/bro/friend) has to hold me down :oops: :oops: :oops: How embarrassing eh????
    I have thought about asking the DR to be ferred for CBT (cognitive behaviuoural therapy) to try and fix it before it vere becomes essential.
    Now for you, if it is definitely associated with the nausea, and is fairly recent I reckon something like that would definitely help.
    Is it worth a try? Your RA is a bit ferocious so you need the best treatments don't you?
    While I've got you how are the pinkies doing?
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I feel so sorry for you, it must be awful feeling so ill, after injecting yourself. Apart from anti sickness medication, I have no ideas. I just wanted to say how brave you are, with the children as well. I hope someone comes up with something better, soon.
    Love SUe
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, I feel so sorry for you, it must be awful feeling so ill, after injecting yourself. Apart from anti sickness medication, I have no ideas. I just wanted to say how brave you are, with the children as well. I hope someone comes up with something better, soon.
    Love SUe

Hi Sue
    I dont have any better suggestions than the others but just wanted to say I really feel for you. It is horrible feeling sick and having to look after little ones at the same time. I only hope that the meds dont have the same effect this time or that at least your doctors can find something that will counteract that sickness. Moan away i dont blame you
    Take care
    love Gillx
  • suzster
    Options
    hi all,
    my hands are still pretty useless, but i'm sure i'll get to see a hand surgeon eventually!!
    i'm still trying to get the courage to take the mtx tablets, i'm not happy about it and so i guess i have to just do it, it's just the knowing if i do feel sick it will last at least 48 hrs. i have plenty of anti sickness, 2 different kinds so i'm covered!!
    i'll let you know when i actually take them!
    thanks for your support, i really appreciate it so much. x
    sue
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    just wanted to wish you good luck with the mTX tablets, and to remind you that if you do have to go back onto the injections, then there are different ways that can be done, you don't HAVE to do them yourself. I see my GP practice nurse who does my MTX jab since I had problmes doing it myself (after two years of being ok! how daft is that?!)

thinking of you xxx
  • suzster
    Options
    thanks wonky, my issue is with the feeling of the needle coming out, fine going in but hate the feeling when it comes out, now thats daft! also, now this is wierd, even for me, the colour of the mtx, you know it's a kind off yellow colour? well i think i'm starting to look at liquid that colour and feel sick, i'm sure i'm mad in the head but i was making some mint tea last week and when i 1st stirred it it was a similiar colour to the mtx and it made me feel sick, once it brewed it was fine but this is the strangest reaction to anything i've ever had, i'm to afraid to tell my rheumy nurse as i'm sure she'll think i'm mad, even typing it comes accross as a silly fear.
    i tell you it's a wonder i'm not being sent away, my hubby just cannot understand what i'm saying and being very honest i'm to scared to take the mtx tablets, i've been trying to take them all weekend but i just can't bring myself to do it. the rheumy nurse is not going to be impressed is she?
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    Hi suzster ....... you are NOT silly!!!!

our minds are very powerful things, and it is amazing what links are made in our subconscious .

I myself have enormous problems with certain smells since beginning to take MTX. I have lost count of the different hand washes tht I have had to bin as they suddently make me want to throw up!

TOTALLY know what you mean about the colour :wink:

the things we do to battle arthur eh?

do talk to your rheumy nurse - they will not laugh , and you will not be the first or the last!
  • suzster
    Options
    oh legs thank you, i really was convinced i was some wierdo!!
    the smell thing, yep, the colour, yep!!!
    i am so funny about smells, i can often be found in supermarkets sniffing washing up liquid and washing powder!!
    but really thank you, our minds really are strange, i only have to pick up the box my injections are kept in and the sick feeling rolls over me, i truly hope i can stick to tablets from now on and there is no one who is going to convince me to take the mtx tablets, not even my husband who thinks i'm mad!!!
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    it is sooooo hard to explain to someone who hasn't had to think about it isn't it?

My poor hubby tries so hard to understand, but I know sometimes he doesn'g 'get it'!

have I told you before about when I was finding it almost impossible to do the injections (after 2 years ok)?
    In the end he used to buy me a chocolate bar and dangle it under my nose saying I could only have it if I did my injection! :lol::lol:

:? :? You can imagine his confusion when this confirmed chocoholic didn't even manage it then!!! :? :?
  • suzster
    Options
    oh legs you really do know what to say to make me feel better, i don't think even a big box of my favourite chocolate smothered fudge would get me to do the injection, how nice to know that someone understands how i feel though, thank you again!