Had the arthroscopy!!!!

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 1. May 2009, 09:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I've had the knee arthroscopy today. I went into theatre at about 1.30, in recovery til 3.30 and home by 5!
I feel fantastic, although quite painful now the painkillers are wearing off. They did more than expected when in there. They cut back the fat pad which was impining the joint. The Dr also said that there was a split which was quite large....but to be honest all I can remember is "under the patella" but can't remember where or what exactly. I have to start physio in 2 weeks so wont be 'up and at it' as first thought! lol
Things are finally looking up. Not bad all in one week I've had my diagnosis at my first Rheumy appointment on monday and knee sorted (hopefully) today. Fingers crossed things will continue to improve.
I must also mention that the nurses and staff at the hospital were wonderful today. Not patronising at all and very friendly...

One thing that does bother me which I mentioned in a previous post was that his Junior doctor suggest I didnt have this procedure as it was probably arthritis when in fact today the Dr said he didnt see a sign of arthritis in the knee although he did say there was quite a bit of wear and tear which he tidied up and he wasnt really looking for it. I am optimistic!

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks for your support it really does make a differance. xx

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Looks as if things are on the up for you! :D I'm glad you feel so happy and positive. Love Sue
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    Glad things went well for you. Look after youself now!! :D
    NB
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi
    Glad things went well for you. Look after youself now!! :D
    NB

Hi good to hear it all went well and hope your recovery is smooth and fast
    Take care of yourself
    love Gillx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Bailey,

Sorry I didn't see you there :roll: Glad it went well and I hope the clean up does the trick. You go careful for a min though and good luck that it will make a big difference to you very soon.
    Take care, Cris :)
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Well done :!: You have come through very well by the sound of things. I know what you mean about the pain being worse than you expected. I hope you have got some pain relief. Take care during the next few days, and don't overdo things like I did. I developed bursitis in my hip because I did a bit too much, and it was very painful.

Let us know how it goes, and all the best,

Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,410
    Options
    Brilliant News Bailey
    I am pleased!!! :wink:
    Take it steady and you'll soon be back dancing!!! :shock:
    Toni x
  • bailey27
    Options
    Morning after - feel good. Can hobble about the house although quite slowly. I dont have much painf at all at the moment. It feels more like a sharp ache. I cant grumble really with how it went as I have seen on here recently how things can go a lot worse. All in all not too bad. Being sat with my leg up starts to play on my back and hip but nothing really too bad.
  • anaabh
    anaabh Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Oh well done, it sounds like you're well on the way to recovery, don't do too much to soon tho!!!!! :D

Best Wishes

Anna
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    Just an update on my arthroscopy.
    I was really nervous becaus ei am having the stitches off tomorow and there appears to be a lot of blood and yukky stuff stuck on them. Well, today I peeled back one side of the dressing and noticed that it was stuck to one of the stitches. I continued to peel it back (more because I am so noey and I wanted to see what it looked like) and came across the incision. Well, what can I say it looks like a 1 cm size very thin slit. No blood, it looks like someone has pushed the end of a finger nail into the skin. It doesnt even look like it has been cut just a small dent. I am chuffed to bits. Apart from some yellow and green bruising it is recovering nicely. I really cant grumble at all. I didnt have the courage to pull the dressing all the way across, more so because I know the nurse will tell me off for taking it off and I am guessing I can make the excuse that it just came off on the corner. :lol:
    I was so nervouse before having this done, I feel riht as rain and am just hoping it will pay off and the pain will be gone or at least reduced.
    If anyone out there is about to have this procedure done or decating whether or not to have it done I would say go for it!
    I can honestly say I think I will be back to normal activity within another week! (had the arthroscopy last thursday).
    Fingers crossed knee is sorted, only hip and back to go!!
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Sounds like you're doing really well - like everyone says, don't push it too much though!

In an earlier post you said something about the doctor says he didn't see any arthritis, just 'wear and tear'.

I think I remember reading on another post that that's a phrase some doctors use as an alternative to osteoarthritis - don't know why, maybe they think it doesn't sound so serious ???

Anyway, all the best from one 'knee-ite' to another.

Wendy
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    you bloomin chicken...you should have just gone for it and ripped it off!!! :mrgreen: only kidding..am really pleased for you Bailey, heres to a really speedy recovery. all the best and keep us posted on your progress. love Sally.xx :D
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Bailey

I think you may find that there are three little incisions on your knee all roughly the same size :D:D

Won't it be great to have it all cleaned up tomorrow. :lol::lol:

Best wishes,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bailey27
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Yes, I can't wait. It'll be great to have a soak in the bath without out my foot being rested on the end of the bath.
    I have been doing the exercises the physio gave me and am feeling quite well at the moment. Less than a week gone and I feel relatively good.
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    Had the stitches off today. Quite pleased as I didnt really feel a thing. I have 2 small incisions one each side of the patella tendon. It looks very clean apart from some bruising which I expect will take a while to go down. the skin has come together quite nicely. I look forward to giving a nice soak in the bath later.
    I am very pleased with how it has gone. Just 7 days ago I had the arthroscopy and didnt imagine I would be up walking already especially as they did some repair whilst in there.
    Jsut thought I'd update you.
    Thanks again.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Thats great news, don't do too much though! A soak in the bath sounds lovely! :) Take care sue
  • bailey27
    Options
    Thanks am trying to take it easy.
    I must confess I couldn't resist going to the gym this morning. I managed 30 mins of very slow cycling on the stationary bike and some chest presses. It felt fab! I little bit stiff from it but I know that is to be expected when you try to do a bit more. I remember when I had my ankle surgery about 6 years ago I would feel fine before physio then afterwards I would be in some discomfort. I just have to find the fine line between doing too much and doing enough.
    So far so good though!
    Thanks all.x