Back to Square One

Options
fertlady
fertlady Member Posts: 4
edited 24. Apr 2009, 09:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was diagnosed in November last year with RA and started on Salazopyrin in December.
Yesterday I went for my first appointment with the consultant since starting on the drugs.
Basically my white cell counts and their components have now dropped so low that I have to immediately stop the drugs and hope the white counts come back up to acceptable levels, so more blood tests over the next few weeks to monitor it.
Thing is I am not left without anything to control the pain or stiffness- the consultant suggested ibuprofen but that upsets my stomach although I take omperazole for an unconnected condition and have taken it for many years.
I need to see the GP next week to see where I go, but do not go and see the consultant for another 4 months when they may think about steroid injections

Has anyone else had this and what did you do to manage it in the interim??

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fertlady,

Welcome to the forum.

Did you tell your consultant that you can't take ibuprofen? If, yes, why didn't he suggest anything else in it's place?

I think you're right you do need to see your GP and talk to him about it to see if they can give you an anti-inflammatory to help you.... or ring your Rheumy nurse to see if she can help. Four months is too long to wait especially if you're in pain.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • fertlady
    fertlady Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes I told him I can't take it but he said well have a try and see
    I don't have a rheumy nurse - never been offered to me

Am trying to get into the GP to talk to them about it all

While I agree the priority is to get the white count up to ok levels I can't then go with nothing until September. I am so tired and feeling under the weather and now I know why
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the site. 4 months is far too long for pain. I can't take a lot of nsads but I manage with a combination of codydramol and amatryptlne (sp?) and their are lots of other things too that might suit you, we all respond differently to painkillers so it may take a few goes to get right. Good Luck Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I know I always bleat on about this one but does paracetamol work for you whilst you're waiting to see your GP? I always find the best way to take it is every six hours then it's always topped up in your system and keeps you going even through the night. It's not an anti-inflammatory but it's a brill pain killer (I find).

Luv Legs :D

PS Don't think much to your Rheumys suggestion that you try Ibuprofen anyway - does he had a understanding or hearing problem, I wonder :? :roll:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'