scooters question to all ?

Options
dianne2110
dianne2110 Member Posts: 32
edited 1. May 2009, 17:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone one else get the 'LOOK' when on their scooter. I think when they are giving me the you know you could walk if you tried stare lol, Don't you think I would rather walk than be on this damn thing.

I also get the 'look' by the let us say 'older generation' when I get out of my car and dare to use my blue badge in the disabled bay.

I had a 91 year old friend who said to me I was still riding a bike at 83, now that made me feel better, she also said I was too young to have Arthritis, I said to her when he came and stayed he didn't ask my age, and now he likes it so much he's decided to stay. By the way i'm a decrepid 49.

have a good day

lots of love Di xx :lol::lol:

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Di
    The "look" eh?!
    They should realise how lucky they are!!!!
    Maybe they are jealous at how beautiful and young you are :!: :wink:
    Toni x
  • fossillady
    fossillady Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Yes... I get the 'look' both on my scooter/wheelchair and using disabled bays. It's been the same since I started with RA 19 years ago, I'm now 38. What really gets me is when they give me the 'look' and then they quite spritely walk away from their car !!! :x Also hate it when they stare when I'm getting off the scooter perhaps to 'catch me out' and the 'does she take sugar' attitude when I use the wheelchair!

I know people do abuse the blue badge system so I do not mind wardens etc checking my badge if needed. Maybe checking them more often may stop mis-use and catch out people using fraudulent badges which is apparently big business. What I do mind is the ignorant attitudes of some people who don't know the full story.

I just wish people understood that disabilities and pain are not always visible and it's not just the older generation that are affected :?

Sorry... rant over,

Marie x :D
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    fossillady wrote:
    Yes... I get the 'look' both on my scooter/wheelchair and using disabled bays. It's been the same since I started with RA 19 years ago, I'm now 38. What really gets me is when they give me the 'look' and then they quite spritely walk away from their car !!! :x Also hate it when they stare when I'm getting off the scooter perhaps to 'catch me out' and the 'does she take sugar' attitude when I use the wheelchair!

I know people do abuse the blue badge system so I do not mind wardens etc checking my badge if needed. Maybe checking them more often may stop mis-use and catch out people using fraudulent badges which is apparently big business. What I do mind is the ignorant attitudes of some people who don't know the full story.

I just wish people understood that disabilities and pain are not always visible and it's not just the older generation that are affected :?

Sorry... rant over,

Marie x :D
    take care
    joan xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    woops guility as charged lol not because of the fact that i think you ,them , they can walk ,but because i think watch my toes , slowdown abit , that ones a better looking thing than the last one i saw , will i beable to drive ride or scoot or what ever the term is that you do , so next time you are out and about and somebodys watching it might just be me , , i look at it this way if you have got one and it gives you the independence to shop ,visit or even take you to the pub , whats it got to do with anybody else xxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    I have had people say to me there are a lot of lazy people about today.
    I do walk but i walk my dog and i go to the gym but i cannot walk a long way now as age and i have cerebral palsy i'm 67 my scoota get's me from a to b. i'm new on here hello.
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Dachshund
    Welocme to the forum from me!
    I take it your dog is a Dachsund??
    Toni x
  • dachshund
    Options
    Yes Toni.
    My dog is a chocolate and tan longhaired mini dachshund 9 year's old.
    have you got a dog.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • fossillady
    fossillady Member Posts: 37
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    woops guility as charged lol not because of the fact that i think you ,them , they can walk ,but because i think watch my toes , slowdown abit , that ones a better looking thing than the last one i saw , will i beable to drive ride or scoot or what ever the term is that you do , so next time you are out and about and somebodys watching it might just be me , , i look at it this way if you have got one and it gives you the independence to shop ,visit or even take you to the pub , whats it got to do with anybody else xxxx

................ so you've seen my driving then :lol:

I do like having a good old banter with folks when I'm on my scooter like oops..think I need my 'L' plates! or it does 0-4mph in 10 mins! or excuse me....lady driver coming through!

I am a careful driver.. honest
    :wink:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I think it's the few who don't really need these scooters who are spoiling it for the rest - as usual :roll:

When I was having my hair done at the hairdressers the other day, a woman arrived on her scooter, lithely hopped off it, chained it up, ran across the road and jumped on the bus to town :shock: When I commented to my hairdresser she remarked that this lady does this most days - so she wasn't just having a good day. :x :roll: Some people are guilty of using them instead of a car or walking and they are getting so numerous that I wonder if they should be vetted in some way. It's spoiling it for those of us who have a genuine need and would be more or less housebound without them. :x :x :x

Luv Legs who's just had a rant :oops:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    I have had people say to me there are a lot of lazy people about today.
    I do walk but i walk my dog and i go to the gym but i cannot walk a long way now as age and i have cerebral palsy i'm 67 my scoota get's me from a to b. i'm new on here hello.

Hi dachshund :D:D

:D Welcome aboard! :D Good for you getting around on your scooter AND walking your dog and for going to the gym :!: :D:D

Hope to see you posting lots! :lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Oh yes the look! Took issue with someone on another board saying he/she thought people using a scooter in the supermarket was 'funny'. Wish this person could have seen the hoops you go through to even get out some days....sadly I think people can be very cruel.
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you.it is nice to join a friendly forum it helps with pain to have someone to write to.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Thank you.it is nice to join a friendly forum it helps with pain to have someone to write to.
    joan xx

Hi Joan

Yes, this is a great forum and can become very addictive! Oh dear, look at the time, I haven't even thought about what we shall have for dinner tonight. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol::lol: Better get cracking!

Speak soon,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dianne2110
    Options
    Hi to all,

Just want to say thanks for all the replies. :D

I agree with you all, the blue badge is sadly abused by a lot of selfish people they don't know how lucky they are.
    Without my scooter i'm housebound and mine also does 0 -4 in 10 mins. I am very careful and always wait for people walking to pass and they always have right of way before me.

I always smile when I see people getting off the scooters with a leap its not a mode of transport I would choose if I could walk.

Thankyou again you have cheered me up so much xxxx :D:D take care of youselves
  • dianne2110
    Options
    Oh yes the look! Took issue with someone on another board saying he/she thought people using a scooter in the supermarket was 'funny'. Wish this person could have seen the hoops you go through to even get out some days....sadly I think people can be very cruel.

Hi

Yea I agree wonder if they would find it so funny if they like us were in pain every day and find even the more simple tasks daunting. yea its hilarious.

Di xxx :D
  • dianne2110
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Di
    The "look" eh?!
    They should realise how lucky they are!!!!
    Maybe they are jealous at how beautiful and young you are :!: :wink:
    Toni x

Hi

Bless you that did make me smile

hugs Di xx :D
  • dianne2110
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:

Hi

Promise I won't run you or any one else over :lol:

But I do know what you mean some are just path hogs

love Di xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello Dachshund, Nice to meet you :) I'd love a dog but my 5 cats wouldn't :D

The scooter 'look' I don't mind people on them and I chat to a few in the town, the only thing is the, how shell I say, older user, who either goes so fast and relies on you to jump out of the way and the ones on the road that are not road designed and use our very, very windy country lanes at snails pace in the middle of the road. I'm terrified of hitting someone on a blind bend. Still, I know a lot of people don't have a great deal of choice in the country area I live in, and its live and let live. I try to be very careful on out bendy roads! :D I'm sure you use your scooter responsibley and get a lot of fun and independence from it. :D
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Di,

Sadly most things, excluding people, are not ageist........ I think some people are always going to be either critical or look down their noses as others come what may. I shouldn't wish to ever be in my 90's but if I am I shall hope I don't ever do the same to others as they tend to say to me........ I have to say older people have been far more horrible to me than youngsters who are just more aware I guess?

Take care, and don't let them bother you. Cris

Hi Joan,

A welcome from me as well. Toni doesn't know this but she has a dog here she is picking up soon............. :lol: I hope you will find the site both helpful and supportive. I used to know a l/h dachshund he was also black and tan and was a lovely little chap. Take care, Cris
  • woodbon
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Di,

Sadly most things, excluding people, are not ageist........ I think some people are always going to be either critical or look down their noses as others come what may. I shouldn't wish to ever be in my 90's but if I am I shall hope I don't ever do the same to others as they tend to say to me........ I have to say older people have been far more horrible to me than youngsters who are just more aware I guess?

Take care, and don't let them bother you. Cris

Hi Joan,

A welcome from me as well. Toni doesn't know this but she has a dog here she is picking up soon............. :lol: I hope you will find the site both helpful and supportive. I used to know a l/h dachshund he was also black and tan and was a lovely little chap. Take care, Cris

I'm not agist, I and I agree I was wrong to say 'older people on scooters' . Its not always the elderly, I was just thinking of one person I know who is a bit of a nightmare, especially to people who are not quick on their feet! Shes also a danger to herself. Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Sue, I didn't say older people on scooters...... I said older people have been far more horrible to me. I meant in general and I am sorry if you didn't understand what I meant, sometimes I am not clear. I certainly would not dream of calling you ageist or any other kind of 'Ist' at all. Sorry to have implied anything at all. Cris
  • woodbon
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Sue, I didn't say older people on scooters...... I said older people have been far more horrible to me. I meant in general and I am sorry if you didn't understand what I meant, sometimes I am not clear. I certainly would not dream of calling you ageist or any other kind of 'Ist' at all. Sorry to have implied anything at all. Cris

No, its me. My husband thinks I'm going deaf, but I think its just general aging thats the problem! Plus I'm good at getting hold of the wrong end of the stick! :oops: Love Sue
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Hi dianne2110, just had to reply to this post, yes I too get the look and I am 47. it was just the other day when I was at my local health centre , there was a stand for arthritis care I went over on scooter to see what was there . a lady sitting was saying your younng , I said i wish they would give me a hip replacement and she said I think its awful they go by age a woman going by said hes too young he looks ok to me , boy was I raging , she had a crutch i watched her and she was walking fast , I shouted to her wish I could walk that fast , you should have seen her face :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: it was this colour :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

some people are relly nice to you , you will always find a rotten apple somewhere.

I am diabetic and you should see the looks I get when checking my blood sugar level but I dont cae as it is my healthy that is important to me

Take care

Mike R & hazel & Mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • tjenny54321
    tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    My son has suggested you PRETEND to pick your **** or get a pair of those fun plastic glasses with the eyeball popping out on stalks in your basket or bag handy for emergencies. There should be a
    sticker made specially for us with quote "arthritis has no predjudice
    on age! Are you?