swollens ankles

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 25. Apr 2009, 15:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have woken up this morning with an extremely swollen ankle on my left side. I had arthriscopy thursday on my left knee and havent had any problems at all, actually I have been quite surprised how well it has gone. It is very stiff and I cannot straighten m leg at all at the moment. I'm just owndering if it is anthing to worry about. I thought I'd monitor it and see if it goes down. I been up and out of bed for 2 hours now but no differance.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    OUch!!!
    Might be to do with that procedure, but It's always a saturday isn't it when the Doctors is closed!!!
    Without wishing to worry you, as It is VERY likely related to the arhroscopy, I would still take advice if you can just to be on the safe side. NHS direct/rheumy nurses if they are available??
    Take care Bailey
    Toni x
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for that advice. I phoned NHS direct who suggest I go to GP out of hours. I went there and he said it was basically just swelling where the bandages are and the fluid was taking a while to travel back up my leg. He did check for DVT and infection but no signs of that.
    Better to be safe than sorry!
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Bailey,

I know you may not want to but sit with it elevated well above your hip, BUT mind you support the knee for a couple of hours and see if that helps? It should help bring the fluid to come back up your leg.

Don't do too much on it today and take care, Cris
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    Glad you've had that checked out. Its always worrying when something strange or unexpected happens after a proceedure. I'M glad its OK though, and you did the best thing. :) Love Sue
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Glad you got it checked out. If you can manage it try doing some foot exercises i.e circles and pointing your foot out and pulling it back up that sort of thing. It might get things moving again and do try and sit with it up.

Love
    Vonski x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hiya!

Very sound advice from Cris and vonski. Could not have put it better myself :lol::lol:

Perhaps an ice pack too.....?

Best wishes,
    Elna x

ps Cris,
    Slipper-boy has not arrived yet. Perhaps he found somewhere more interesting on the way? :(
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    So long as it's not a DVT!!!!!!
    Phew!!!
    That';s what worried me :shock:
    Hope it goes off soon
    Take care
    Toni x