OA and shoes dilema!

Options
helbel13
helbel13 Member Posts: 7
edited 29. Apr 2009, 12:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning to you all.
As a 38yr old woman who has had THR just over 8wks ago & awaiting for other hip to be done in few months.
I am getting v.fed up of wearing my velcro strap, black flat shoes practically all day,every day!
Have tried wearing flat zip up boots last couple of days as nice weather for a skirt :) But they got too heavy to wear all day.
I was wondering if any other ladies or well well men come to that have this problem-HYE I'M NOT JUDGEMENTAL ON PEOPLES LIFE STYLES :D .There are some days i get out all the boxes with my lovely fancy heeled shoes and sexy boots in.Take a big sigh and put them all back...
So what else does everyone else wear?To maybe give me some ideas.
I have to wear a heal raise in my left shoe so mules and that kind of thing are a no go!
Hope everyones had a nice start to the wkend x

Comments

• mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    helbel13 wrote:
    Good morning to you all.
    As a 38yr old woman who has had THR just over 8wks ago & awaiting for other hip to be done in few months.
    I am getting v.fed up of wearing my velcro strap, black flat shoes practically all day,every day!
    Have tried wearing flat zip up boots last couple of days as nice weather for a skirt :) But they got too heavy to wear all day.
    I was wondering if any other ladies or well well men come to that have this problem-HYE I'M NOT JUDGEMENTAL ON PEOPLES LIFE STYLES :D .There are some days i get out all the boxes with my lovely fancy heeled shoes and sexy boots in.Take a big sigh and put them all back...
    So what else does everyone else wear?To maybe give me some ideas.
    I have to wear a heal raise in my left shoe so mules and that kind of thing are a no go!
    Hope everyones had a nice start to the wkend x

Hi Helbel
    Oh I do sympathise!!! I too stare at my nice boots and shoes put them back and then put on trainers or my yard muckers(I live on a farm so actually they dont look so out of place :lol: ) but when I go out its a big problem. I do tend to wear a pair of normal boots wedge shape sole not too high, a lot. My daughter's tell me ug boots are really comfortable and fashionable. The originals are megabucks but there are lots of good copies. In despair I have just laid out a fortune for a pair of MBT 's. Various syles with weird soles meant to immitate walking barefoot and for people with problems as well as those without. Having tried them for a few days though I find they really hurt my knees. I noticed in one if the threads Elna said she wore them so when i catch up with her i was going to ask her what she thought of them. She may well pop into this thread.
    Am sure lots of the others will have some ideas for you though.
    Gillx
  • susie51
    susie51 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi you have my sympathy - I discovered Crocs!! all shapes and sizes they have to be the real deal, even though they are more expensive because they are so soft. WARNING they are very slippy on some surfaces, but other than that I find them terrificully comfortable. If you go on internet and check out DDD fitting shoes you should be able to find some suitable I cannot remember the sites right now but if you have any difficulty finding them get back to me and I will search them out, good luck. Susie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I love my MBT shoes (Masai Barefoot Technology) but they do not suit everyone.

Crocs too are good but would not suit you unfortunately if you need to use a heel raise.

It definitely is a problem and don't I know that!!
    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    HI
    I know what you mean, I've still got loads of good shoes I can't wear :cry: . I manage to wear Hotter flat shoes, I can even wear some of the smarter ones in the range if the inside padding is right. They are more expensive than I like to pay though.
    Love SUe
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    I totally sympathize with you.
    Having only one pair a time when I was a kid I've now got a shoe fetish, I won't admit to the amount of pairs of shoes and boots I have. I stick to the same ones though all the time since my arthur took hold, they are a cheap ones from George at Asda, flat with elastic in the back. I have them in several different colours. I've recently found Evans shoes very good and comfy, most have a soft padding inside. I got some boots before Xmas which are amazing, so comfortable.
    Welcome to the site and good luck with finding something nice and suitable.

Rita X
  • alibongo
    alibongo Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi all.

I know exactly how you feel. I have all my lovely shoes in the boxes still. I was going to put them on Ebay last week but just didn't want to part with them.

I normally go to clarkes for my shoes can get away with it as my feet aren't as swollen now. For 6 months I lived in trainers which is not great working in an office luckily my manager was very sympathetic. I have a bent up toe though so have to have shoes to accomodate that. I can't even wear small heels anymore because after just a short amount of time the balls of my feet are agony. This means I don't like wearing skirts as without a heel my legs look awful.

Sorry for going on this is one of the things that most upsets me, although it sounds pathetic :oops: but I always made sure I looked after my feet.

Alison
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    More sympathy here - I freecycled a lot of shoes last year (heels etc) but my favourite pair - well - I threw them in the bin - they were heavily beaded black and just gorgeous - feel a bit mean now - but it was just so ????
    Now I more less live in Pavers.
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    A couple of months ago a topic like this was on the young peoples forum.Reading through the old posts I found a reference to Mosholu shoes. Very comfortable they are too.
    I also have a few pairs of rocket dogs,wide and with good support and quite smart too. Most days I wear trainers too.
    Linda H 8)
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Page 3 on young' uns forum a post by Bluefish.
    There is also another post about shoes there too.
    Linda H 8)
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi

I know exactly how you feel, just got some from hospital, now they are something else!!! Look on the Evans website they do a wider fitting shoe and comfort fit, I used to get them and they do have some OK ones. I do miss my heels though :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi,

I am eight weeks post thr op on tues, Last week i bought a pair of clarks active pumps which have velcro buckle which means I can still put them on with my graber and they are really comfy. I am trying to get out of my trainers so they are a welcome break .
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    HI
    Since my THR I have been living in flat slip on type shoes, dolly shoes, uggs, but would love to wear some more glamourous shoes. :roll:
    I bought some gorgeous shoes just before my OA/hip got really bad and I keep looking at them, wishing, but I will not get rid of them yet!
    NB
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    HI
    I know what you mean, I've still got loads of good shoes I can't wear :cry: . I manage to wear Hotter flat shoes, I can even wear some of the smarter ones in the range if the inside padding is right. They are more expensive than I like to pay though.
    Love SUe

Hi
    I have found that Hotter shoes are very good too. They are quite expensive, but they last a long time so you get your money's worth. On the Hotter web site, they often have a clearance sale, with good reductions. I got a super pair recently for £25, original price over £50.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi Helbel,
    A topic close to my heart - I sympathise with you!! (Alison-I totally relate to how you felt, also and I am exactly the same! It took me a long time to get rid of my heeled shoes and I cried when I did-I find footwear one of the hardest practical things to deal with it has changed my entire wardrobe as I can't get shoes that look right with skirts at the mo!) I can't really add much more to what has already been said-don't think Cosyfeet has been mentioned though-these are particularly suitable for swollen feet. They may not suit everybody but it's another place to have a look at at least. Personally I find Hotters quite good, but can't wear at the mo as have an insole til my toe is fused. I do hope you find some thing that suits you.
    Regards,
    Josie :wink:
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Lots of good advice but I'll just put in a word for Hush Puppies - not just suede lace-ups any more. I just bought a nice pair, black leather with a strap / Velcro fastening, modern style, in TK Maxx for £24.99 (half price). If you can get to a shop, TK Maxx is worth a visit as they have lots of choice (including some amazing styles that will give you a good laugh) and excellent price reductions.

Wendy