Is Osteo arthritis just a figment of the imagination????????

Options
snoops
snoops Member Posts: 29
edited 27. Apr 2009, 11:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All!!!
I am new to this forum thing. I am 56 years old & Osteo has been creeping in for about 20years. Started in my hip & gradually crept into varous opther joints i.e. both shoulders, both hips, spine, neck, ankle, knee, balls of feet, big toe, coxyx, recently been getting pain in my elbow & wrist & thumbs. Is this real or am I imagining it!!! Sometimes I think I am a Hypochondriac ( think thats how ya spell it!!!!) Really dont want to be a moaner & my husband is doing my head in !!!! Go to the Docs, get something done!!! Like what!!! I say !!! There isnt really alot. I take exercise when I can, I swim a couple of times a week & walk when I can. [/img]

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Snoops,

If only it were a figment eh? Have you ever had it looked at cus thee are things that can be done, replacement joints at one end and then stuff like physio and pain relief etc and it might be a good idea to go, get some x rays and then you might find it easier o stay mobile longer?

You should find a lot of people here who have had all kinds of things done, most of it help as well. Doctors can also help you with pain control. Any way i am not making much sense at the mo, so a big welcome from me and hope you get some good advice. Take care, Cris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi snoops :D:D

Welcome to the site. :D We do understand on here and it is not in your imagination at all. Other halves/family often cannot seem to take it on board how you are feeling but you have found us lot now and you can log on here and see what others have to say and write exactly how you feel and we all know where you are coming from.

Are you on any painkillers and anti inflams? They do help. Physio, acupuncture, referral to a pain clinic, steroid injections, can also help to make life more comfortable.

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hello Cris! We are at it again :oops: :roll: :roll: posting at the same time and saying similar things.

Hope you and yours are doing ok today :? 8) :lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elna,

I was just thinking that..... You put it much better though! I hope your weather is better there? We back in mid winter but it should blow through soon.......... I hope! You have a good day and stay warm. :D x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Elna,

I was just thinking that..... You put it much better though! I hope your weather is better there? We back in mid winter but it should blow through soon.......... I hope! You have a good day and stay warm. :D x

Hi Cris :D

Sun shining here. Blue sky and white clouds. Rained in the night but not much. I have done nothing so far today. Been cruising the net, on here and got up late and generally been phaffing around! Enjoyable though :lol::lol::lol:

You go careful today if you use them shears!!! I must go and do something! I know, what about some lunch :lol::lol:

Luv
    Elna x

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the site.
    If it is imagination then I and a lot of other people have really good imginations we should be writting and earning our fortunes! :)

I think there is a lot of confusion, and the different names used like 'wear and tear' 'degerative disease' etc don't help people either. Glad you can do things and get exercise, I go to the gym 2 a week, to a special GP referal session they have. Its good, they stop you doing too much or doing the wrong kind of exercises for your problems. Everyone has an individual plan which is constantly reviewed. Love Sue
  • snoops
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Snoops,

If only it were a figment eh? Have you ever had it looked at cus thee are things that can be done, replacement joints at one end and then stuff like physio and pain relief etc and it might be a good idea to go, get some x rays and then you might find it easier o stay mobile longer?

You should find a lot of people here who have had all kinds of things done, most of it help as well. Doctors can also help you with pain control. Any way i am not making much sense at the mo, so a big welcome from me and hope you get some good advice. Take care, Cris
    Hi Skezier,
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to the docs, am on painkillers, the anti inlams dont agree with me.
    I hate keep going to the docs, dont like making a fuss but I know I will have to as it is getting worse.
    Take care, Snoops 8)
  • snoops
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, welcome to the site.
    If it is imagination then I and a lot of other people have really good imginations we should be writting and earning our fortunes! :)

I think there is a lot of confusion, and the different names used like 'wear and tear' 'degerative disease' etc don't help people either. Glad you can do things and get exercise, I go to the gym 2 a week, to a special GP referal session they have. Its good, they stop you doing too much or doing the wrong kind of exercises for your problems. Everyone has an individual plan which is constantly reviewed. Love Sue
    Hi Sue,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I agree with you on the different names given to the condition!!! It makes it sound such a throw-away, off the cuff thing. Alot of doctors dont take it serously, I suppose because we are a drain on their ££££s. I am lucky & have a great youngish Doc who does listen. I hate going tho because i feel i am making a fuss over something not serous!!!. :roll:
    Take care Sue & thanks again X
  • snoops
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi snoops :D:D

Welcome to the site. :D We do understand on here and it is not in your imagination at all. Other halves/family often cannot seem to take it on board how you are feeling but you have found us lot now and you can log on here and see what others have to say and write exactly how you feel and we all know where you are coming from.

Are you on any painkillers and anti inflams? They do help. Physio, acupuncture, referral to a pain clinic, steroid injections, can also help to make life more comfortable.

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna x
    Hi Elna,
    Many thanks for the reply, Its great to chat to people who understand. Not shared this with fellow suffers before & it feels GOOD!!!!
    Am on painkillers, cant take inflams, bad reaction. Stupid me passed out when had injection in hip!!!
    Just feel down alot & my poor hubby does not know how to cope with it I suppose. He can usually fix things & this thing he cant. Suppose alot of partners feel like that.
    Think we should all emigrate to warmer climes!!!!! :lol:
    Take care
    AnnXX
  • elnafinn
    edited 25. Apr 2009, 09:22
    Options
    Hi Snoops

You must not think that you are making a fuss when you go to see your gp. If you keep going back they do something in the end. I am on etoricoxib anti inflams (Arcoxia ) that seem to suit me fine although diclofenac got it's own back on me, after two years and I came off that.

Hope your day is going ok. Yes, warmer weather is more cheering and often helps with the arthritis.

Luv
    Elna x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Hi Snoops
    My hubby is a bit like that too!!! He thinks you can chuck money at everything and sometimes you just can't can you?!
    Anyway I just wanted to say WELCOME from me - keep posting this site will really help you .
    Sorry about Cris and Elna they do sometimes do this double-act thing (really they just copy eaxch other!!!) when they get too much sun :wink:
    Seriuously though their advice is sound as is Sue's so I have nothing to add apart from hope to see you on the forum
    Take care
    Toni x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi again snoops :D

It is good to read that you are smiling today. :):) Makes all the difference. I keep sane with trying to pack as much laughter :lol::lol: into my day as possible. As you say pain is pain and we all understand it on here and you must not say you ONLY have OA. OA is really painful and debilitating, as you and we, know.

Better carry on watering my indoor plants now. :)

Luv
    elna x

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Snoops

Welcome from me too :) It definitely is real and not just a figment of your imagination worse luck. Ask your Dr. if you can try other meds, quite a few about. Finding ones that help you best and suits you can take a while though.

Elna and Cris I'm going to have to seperate you two you could be trouble if you team up :lol:

Love
    Vonski x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi snoops

Have you been prescribed any medication? I have osteo arthritis and I'm 53. I have OA in both knees; right shoulder and hands. No you are not a hypochondriac. OA is painful and you really should see your GP; get x-rayed; sort out some meds etc. The medicine I take eases the discomfort; helps me sleep at night etc.

Make an appointment soon.

snoops wrote:
    Hi All!!!
    I am new to this forum thing. I am 56 years old & Osteo has been creeping in for about 20years. Started in my hip & gradually crept into varous opther joints i.e. both shoulders, both hips, spine, neck, ankle, knee, balls of feet, big toe, coxyx, recently been getting pain in my elbow & wrist & thumbs. Is this real or am I imagining it!!! Sometimes I think I am a Hypochondriac ( think thats how ya spell it!!!!) Really dont want to be a moaner & my husband is doing my head in !!!! Go to the Docs, get something done!!! Like what!!! I say !!! There isnt really alot. I take exercise when I can, I swim a couple of times a week & walk when I can. [/img]