Gout and RA

hatjoug
hatjoug Member Posts: 15
edited 26. Apr 2009, 06:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
My R has been treating me for gout which apparently cannot co-exist with RA. He has now concluded i have RA ( and maybe gout as well) and wants me to take methotrexate. Does anyone else have gout and RA?

I have looked at the potential side effects of mxt and they are horrendous. Would anyone that has used it care to share their experiences?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Welcome from me!!
    Lots of people on here are on mtx, but not me sorry. Hopeful;ly they will be along soon and I know a lot of them swear by the stuff!
    I am on hydroxychloroquinine.
    Take care and nice to meet you
    Toni x
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Just saying hi and welcome to the forum.
    Can't help medically as I have o/a and different meds but someone will be along soon with help for you.
    Have you read back through the posts as quite a few have been about mtx,there is always the helpline team - they are very good too.
    Linda H 8)
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi

I was under the impression
    that gout was a sidekick to arthritis.

I have had gout and carpal tunnel syndrome before being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and
    Osteoarthritis and thought everything was connected to
    inflammation. I do know that gout is due to high levels
    of uric acid forming crystals in the joints.

I have been taking MTX for a long time now
    to get the RA under control.

Hope all goes well for you

Kath
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    hatjoug wrote:
    My R has been treating me for gout which apparently cannot co-exist with RA. He has now concluded i have RA ( and maybe gout as well) and wants me to take methotrexate. Does anyone else have gout and RA?

I have looked at the potential side effects of mxt and they are horrendous. Would anyone that has used it care to share their experiences?

Hi,

Mtx has been and is used as a chemotherapy for cancer. Gout is treated with other meds. that I have taken and change in diet helps. MTX is highly toxic and you should really look at other alternatives unless this is the only one left.

jimmy
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    just to put a balance on the previous post .........

MTX is also one of the things which they have LOTS of information on as it has been used for a long time and is very carefully monitored. They know a lot about how to give it safely, how to monitor it, and how to deal with any side effects. They also know a lot about potential long-term use as it has been in use so long.

It is scary thinking about taking it, and you do right to think about it, but as someone who resisted taking it for several years and then decided to take the plunge, I can say that the few side effects that I have had have been nothing compared to the RA being rampant throughout my body.

I have MTX injections, which give me fewer side effects than the tablets, and for me it has been very good. It isn't good for everyone, and it affects us all differently, so no-one will be able to say how you would be affected, so it is a case o talking things through and asking about any concerns you have before you start.

good luck with whatever you decide!
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Hiya,
    I have RA and Fibro, recently the docs have been suggesting that I have gout as well (based purely on blood results). I have no gout symptoms so I don't really believe them. It took 5yrs to get a RA and Fibro dx!
    I was also on mxt a few years ago. I only took it for a month as the side effects were fairly severe but I know that many people here get on with it well. Most drugs have side effects and its just a case of whether you can cope with them and if the drug helps your condition.
    Hope t goes well for you.