Help with Eyes please.

Options
skezier
skezier Member Posts: 11,333
edited 27. Apr 2009, 08:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I hope the world is treating you well today. I also hope this makes sense as my eyes aren’t working too well.

I have ‘confirmed’ optic neuritis problems, I have had it less in the left eye, but the right seems now to be flaring yet again. It’s had it round 12 times at least now! The left thankfully has only done it 6, though it was the first.

I have seen the eye dept, the Neuro dept and the Rumo (who does my circulation as well as bones) They all play pass the buck and even after 8 years I still don’t know why I keep getting it or will it eventually make me blind…….

I have seen a couple of posts about blurred vision and just wondered if anyone has this as well and if they know why they get it and will it make me blind? Kinda down today, its hard when you need to be able to see and my left eye is carrying me cus the rights packed its bags and gone for (hopefully) a short break…… Oh I also have semi detached retinas in both eyes but that’s an age thing and they will eventually do something with them……. I have just now got oa, there is a suggestion I have some form of ra but it’s not as, and I have got IBD and that means I can’t digest vit B very well…….. Could that be the cause….. I hope not as tablets are no good and I really don’t have good doctors……….. A slight understatement.

Thanks for reading this, I hope it makes sense, take care, Cris

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Cris
    :(:(
    You need to be able to see :(:(
    Sorry about the eyes - this is just about all you need isn't it?! :(:(
    Hopefully one of the gang will be able to help.
    In the meantime I've just insulted you on another post..... :wink: he he!
    Take care
    Toni x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Toni........... She copies from me today.......... I can't see what shes writing.............. It's normally the other way round.....x :lol:

Elna, if you see this Slipper- boy said he's got his bib, his knife and fork and is on his way......... :lol: x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Cris
    I wuld beleive you, but I know that Ilky CAN read and often does so you might have copied from Elna!!! :wink:
    Toni x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hey Toni,

She'd back up her mummy....... I'm the lady with the food........ x :lol:
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi,

I hope the world is treating you well today. I also hope this makes sense as my eyes aren’t working too well.

I have ‘confirmed’ optic neuritis problems, I have had it less in the left eye, but the right seems now to be flaring yet again. It’s had it round 12 times at least now! The left thankfully has only done it 6, though it was the first.

I have seen the eye dept, the Neuro dept and the Rumo (who does my circulation as well as bones) They all play pass the buck and even after 8 years I still don’t know why I keep getting it or will it eventually make me blind…….

I have seen a couple of posts about blurred vision and just wondered if anyone has this as well and if they know why they get it and will it make me blind? Kinda down today, its hard when you need to be able to see and my left eye is carrying me cus the rights packed its bags and gone for (hopefully) a short break…… Oh I also have semi detached retinas in both eyes but that’s an age thing and they will eventually do something with them……. I have just now got oa, there is a suggestion I have some form of ra but it’s not as, and I have got IBD and that means I can’t digest vit B very well…….. Could that be the cause….. I hope not as tablets are no good and I really don’t have good doctors……….. A slight understatement.

Thanks for reading this, I hope it makes sense, take care, Cris

I do not know the cause of eye problems, I've developed dry eyes for no apparent reason along with a corneal ulcer (keratitis). not much is said about eyes in oa or ibd. does anybody have an answer
    :!: :?:
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    This may r may not be of any help. but when I went for my first Rheumy appointment she asked a lot about my eyes. Apprently you can get eye problems with Inflammatory Arthritis - Sponydloaropathy, which is what I have been diagnosed with. I had symptoms of tired eyes and the feeling of too much water in them last year, which I was later referred to the hospital. I cancelled this appointment as it stopped and I have only had one episode of this. I mentioned this to the Rheumy who took note of it and said that it is all relevant.
    Hope this helps. x
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    bailey27 wrote:
    Hi
    This may r may not be of any help. but when I went for my first Rheumy appointment she asked a lot about my eyes. Apprently you can get eye problems with Inflammatory Arthritis - Sponydloaropathy, which is what I have been diagnosed with. I had symptoms of tired eyes and the feeling of too much water in them last year, which I was later referred to the hospital. I cancelled this appointment as it stopped and I have only had one episode of this. I mentioned this to the Rheumy who took note of it and said that it is all relevant.
    Hope this helps. x

Many thanks :!: Will keep an eye on on things opthalmic :roll: :roll:
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Border,

I find not much is said full stop down here. Dry eye yes, there was a post about it..... A while back but it was there. It was somehow conected but I don't remember why I am afraid.

I've just googled mine and since i know i haven't got M/S, Lyme's disease and some of the other things that cause it I have narrowed it down to something not too nice and autoimmune.... as is the neuritis....., my useless circulation or cat scratch fever........ I been beaten up by cats regularly over the last 20 years and may ask about that one....... Not the other one just yet though, it would fit but I don't want to know!

If you troll the old posts and maybe the search thingy would bring it up if you asked it for dry eyes?

Take care, and I have to say from what I just read cat scratch fever is my best option............ :shock: :lol: See the down side to self diagnosis! :roll: Take care, Cris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Toni........... She copies from me today.......... I can't see what shes writing.............. It's normally the other way round.....x :lol:

Elna, if you see this Slipper- boy said he's got his bib, his knife and fork and is on his way......... :lol: x

Dear Cris

I am sad to read that you are feeling down today but no wonder. I would be too. I wish I had some positive answers for you but I do not. I hope the brood, sense you are not A1 today and are behaving themselves and being patient.

Slipper-boy is most welcome to come over. When should I expect him, this evening or tomorrow morning? Its the house in marlow, with the red door and the flag outside , near the pub, bridge and river. He can't miss it. I will give him a meal and send him back with a doggy bag for on the way :oops: :lol::lol: and tie around his neck, a plastic bag with lots of gentle hugs in it for you.

Chin up, Cris, you do remarkably well.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Elna,

I just googled it.......... There are some reasons that really do fit...... I still will ask about the cat scratch thing and the next best bet is T.B! It then starts to really scare me.......... :shock: I was told it was M/S for years but then the scan didn't say it was for as many years.... but the other one may fit. circulation is in the frame but not the kind I have, I have the drip next month maybe that will help. :wink:

I shall send him on his way, you know he'll scratch your door and eat your flag........ :lol: As to when he'll arrive, the speed he goes at he should be with you fairly soon....... :lol::wink:

Luv
    Cris x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Cris

Sorry they've gone again :( Has anyone done an electrical test to see how your optic nerve is working? Sorry can't remember exactly what it involves, a long time since I worked. In some cases it can repair itself but is sometimes treat with meds. Whichever you do need to push for something to be done, yours isn't going away and does need treatment.

Is it painful too? that would be all you need. I'm pretty sure it's caused by inflammation of the nerve and there are various causes.

Ask next week, keep pushing. Hope you aren't suffering too much with otherthings.

Love
    Vonski x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Vonski,

They have done all kinds of things to them over the years, I end up in eye cas or eye dept and they have done 2 brain scans (amazingly there is one!) and on both occasions sent me to the Neuro's who confirm that its optic neuritis and then say it's nothing to do with them......

It does have pain behind the right one, and that is just a mass of blur and fog with a darker bit in the middle of the field of vision.

They don't treat it, they say it isn't any quicker burning out with the steroid as it is without...... they don't know why it keeps happening they used to say M/s but that was put down once and for all last summer......... Now I don't even bother to go see them again as they don't do anything. :?

You got any ideas as to why I keep getting it etc?

The drip doesn't really help it so my Rumo is fairly sure its not circulation but hey I live in hope....... Sometimes....... :lol:
    At least now the left eye has cleared and I can see...... I will ask about the cat scratch thing though........ :wink:

Hope you had a good day and better weather than here?
    Love
    Cris x :)

Hey Elna, I hope you see him soon............. He's Cornish he'll be stuck on the M25 wondering why he's going in circles........ I also Cornish........ :lol:
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Cris

Sorry only just seen this :roll: I'm sure it's up to the neuro's to get to the bottom of this. Sorry I don't know why it happens, just that there are various reasons. Glad MS has been ruled out as I knew this was one of them. You really do need to keep pushing to see what help they can offer and if they can find a reason for it. I hope it settles down again soon but try and get looked at while you have it.

Love
    Vonski x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry to hear about your eye trouble. Before I got diagnosed with OA I was having problems with very dry, sore eyes. I had to use moisturising eye gels and simple eye ointment at night. It is not as bad now as it used to be and I now have very rare occurences. When I had my eyes tested last year the optician told me that dry sore eyes could be a sign of arthritis. I was quite amazed about this and posted something on this site. I found the link to arthritis pretty interesting.
    My mother has OA too and she has been having a great deal of trouble with her eyes over the past few years. She has glucoma.
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Border,

I find not much is said full stop down here. Dry eye yes, there was a post about it..... A while back but it was there. It was somehow conected but I don't remember why I am afraid.

I've just googled mine and since i know i haven't got M/S, Lyme's disease and some of the other things that cause it I have narrowed it down to something not too nice and autoimmune.... as is the neuritis....., my useless circulation or cat scratch fever........ I been beaten up by cats regularly over the last 20 years and may ask about that one....... Not the other one just yet though, it would fit but I don't want to know!

If you troll the old posts and maybe the search thingy would bring it up if you asked it for dry eyes?

Take care, and I have to say from what I just read cat scratch fever is my best option............ :shock: :lol: See the down side to self diagnosis! :roll: Take care, Cris