Catnip

Options
eckstardeluxe
eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
edited 27. Apr 2009, 08:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks

You may have noticed I've been posting about my severe sciatica recently. My cousin gave me catnip yesterday and said to try it as it is very soothing and used to treat nervousness. I've had a few cups since last night and just thought those with similar problems might want to give it a go. It tastes minging but I definitely feel more relaxed today and was able to have a nap this morning for the first time in ages for a couple of hours. I'm sure it was the tea. I still feel a wee twinge but my body just feels so relaxed. Anythings worth a try when your in pain.

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What a twit I am :roll: I thought Catnip was the gritty stuff you put in a tray indoors for your cat to go to toilet in :oops: :lol::lol:

.......... I was imagining you crunching away on it and thought no wonder it tastes minging especially with the little added extras you were chewing :oops: :lol::lol::lol:

Luv from Legs who's been educated now :wink:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Ecks

Never thought of catnip tea? used to send our cats mad, they loved it but never calmed them down. Always though comomile was the one for that :) Might have to try the catnip now though, can you buy it in teabag form or just lose?
    Love
    Vonski x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    I guess it IS the same stuff eh? As cats love.
    Cat cocaine eh??!!!
    Well if it works...
    My husband will go and get me a van load if it makes you more chilled I am hyper-manic!
    Toni x
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Ecks

Never thought of catnip tea? used to send our cats mad, they loved it but never calmed them down. Always though comomile was the one for that :) Might have to try the catnip now though, can you buy it in teabag form or just lose?
    Love
    Vonski x

Hi Vonski, this is loose stuff, looks like grass, the illegal kind, well I'm assuming that's what it looks like :wink: you put a wee ticky in a little enclosed drainer type thing and infuse it. It's getting more pleasant as I drink it. I got it off my cousin who is a white witch, she gave me a big bag of it and some other stuff, never tried that yet. She says it is used for fever but also is an anti-spasmodic and helps with nervous disorders. She thought with the sciatica being nerve related it might help.
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    What a twit I am :roll: I thought Catnip was the gritty stuff you put in a tray indoors for your cat to go to toilet in :oops: :lol::lol:

.......... I was imagining you crunching away on it and thought no wonder it tastes minging especially with the little added extras you were chewing :oops: :lol::lol::lol:

Luv from Legs who's been educated now :wink:

Lol Legs, I did say anything was worth a try when you're in pain but eating out the cat litter tray mmmmm perhaps not :lol:
  • vonski
    Options
    Hi Ecks

I agree with you if it works use it, we need all the help we can get :) I once had mushroom tea, it was something like Kambucha and boy that was bad. Suppose to cure everything but I couldn't hang around to find out yuck yuck yuck :roll:

Love
    Vonski x
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Ecks

I agree with you if it works use it, we need all the help we can get :) I once had mushroom tea, it was something like Kambucha and boy that was bad. Suppose to cure everything but I couldn't hang around to find out yuck yuck yuck :roll:

Love
    Vonski x

Hi again Vonski. I just googled it and it says it great for headaches, menstruation, fever in babies (handy as my son has something, not sure he'll take too kindly to a little dose this evening) but is a natural sedative. Seriously you do feel chilled after drinking it. Mushroom tea, urrrghh, sounds awful!
  • vonski
    Options
    Hi Ecks

Can you put something in it, honey (not sure what that will be like) to see if your son will take it? He might surprise you and take it anyway :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Eckstar

Did you say your cousin is a white witch? Sounds spooky!! But you don't have to know a white witch, you can just go to the garden centre. Catnip, or catmint (same thing) is easy to grow. My cat rolls about on my plant, and he eats it,but it still manages to grow. Cats are knowledgable animals, so maybe that is how they keep so agile.

Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Oh wow, didnt even open
    this topic until now as I presumed it
    was a cat owner topic and I dont have a cat.
    Only heard of catnip as my daughter's cat
    goes bonkers when around it.

I think I need some of that
    like you Ecky I have the flipping
    awful sciatica pain and I am so
    desperate I will try anything.

Fingers crossed I can get hold of some
    soon.

Kath
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Eckstar

Did you say your cousin is a white witch? Sounds spooky!! But you don't have to know a white witch, you can just go to the garden centre. Catnip, or catmint (same thing) is easy to grow. My cat rolls about on my plant, and he eats it,but it still manages to grow. Cats are knowledgable animals, so maybe that is how they keep so agile.

Hi yes Joan she is, sounds mental but I can't think of anything other to call her! She reads the tarot, does spells and stuff. People may think it's guff but my friend who couldn't conceive and had 4 miscarriages went to see her. She gave her personal items and she did some sort of spell thing and she was pregnant 3 months later. She has really bad endemetrios sp? and the doc's said she'd probably never get pregnant. She has a healthy little girl now. To Kath, Kath it just seems to chill you out, when I did some googling it says it makes cats more playful but has the opposite effect on humans, my Doc did say my diazepam would lessen the spasms which make the sciatica worse but obviously I don't want to be taking too much of that. I'll find out where she got it, I'm assuming some shop that does herbal stuff.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi
    I'm babysitting for my son's cat while he's on holiday. The cat absolutely loves catnip - he goes all silly and manic then sleeps for about 3 hours! We put it on top of his scratching post which is on the landing and no matter how discreet I am getting it from the kitchen he knows I've got it and can't wait to eat it up.
    If it gave me all that energy I may be tempted to try a bit!
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Eckstar