Post Knee Arthroscopy Part Deux!!

Options
anaabh
anaabh Member Posts: 25
edited 30. Apr 2009, 18:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

Well to those who read my previous 'Post Knee Arthroscopy' I thought I'd just let you know that I was re-admitted to hospital on Friday to have the excess fluid drained from my knee and also extended my stay with some lovely IV antibiotics.

Home now thank goodness and although I would describe the pain as 'big' I am really hopeful that I'm on the road to recovery. I've got painkillers that make me sleep like a log and woke up today to find my boys had drawn a face on my very fat knee using the 2 stitched wounds as the eyes and added a felt tip nose and mouth.

I wouldn't like anyone who is waiting for this op to think that my experience is typical or let it put them off one bit. I think I was just unlucky and in contrast to myself I think that Bailey27 has had a much more positive experience and that is how it should be :D

Many thanks to those who offered such nice comments as they really did cheer me up.

Love
Anna

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Anna,
    I am glad they have sorted you out, but sad for you they had to. I hope now it goes the way it should and your soon in less pain.
    Take care, Cris
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Anna
    I'm glad to hear that things are improving for you after your arthroscopy. Did they give you any idea as to why all the fluid had collected on your knee :?: Anyway, now that it has been drained and you have got antibiotics, it should get better soon. I hope the pain will lessen soon too. I like your boys' sense of humour :!: Was it their way of making you feel better :?: At least it made you laugh :!:

You have been unlucky, I think. As you say, it is usually quite straight forward.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    anaabh wrote:
    Hi all

Well to those who read my previous 'Post Knee Arthroscopy' I thought I'd just let you know that I was re-admitted to hospital on Friday to have the excess fluid drained from my knee and also extended my stay with some lovely IV antibiotics.

Home now thank goodness and although I would describe the pain as 'big' I am really hopeful that I'm on the road to recovery. I've got painkillers that make me sleep like a log and woke up today to find my boys had drawn a face on my very fat knee using the 2 stitched wounds as the eyes and added a felt tip nose and mouth.

I wouldn't like anyone who is waiting for this op to think that my experience is typical or let it put them off one bit. I think I was just unlucky and in contrast to myself I think that Bailey27 has had a much more positive experience and that is how it should be :D

Many thanks to those who offered such nice comments as they really did cheer me up.

Love
    Anna

Hi Anna
    Am glad your home now, and you can get some good sleep even if when you wake youve got a smiley knee face :D .
    You sound positive and surely this can only aid your now speedy recovery.
    all the best
    Page :D
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Anna

Glad things have been sorted out for you at last. Hope you make a speedy recovery from now with no more problems.

Love
    Vonski x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello Anna,
    Glad to hear you'r back home and sounding better. You've really been through the wars, sounds like you've been greedy and had all the complications possible :? :) . At least you'r back home with the faimily, and able to smile. Sending you all my good wishes for a speedy recovery now :!: :)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Anna :D

I know, look at the time, where has it gone! I hope you are fast asleep! I just wanted to wish you all the best, now that hopefully the "hiccup" has been sorted and there will be no looking back, only forward to much better days.

I realise that you do not wish to put others off having this keyhole surgery but on the other hand I think it is good that you let us know that things did not go too well for you after the op. Everyone is different. We can only say how it is for us personally. I had one arthro which I had done again as I felt that a loose bit had been left inside and I could sort of feel it moving around and giving me jip. It did not stop me having an artho on the other knee, but I must admit, by a different surgeon. This surgeon performed my total knee replacement some time later.

I hope you will be well looked after now by the gp etc and that all goes well as I am sure it will. Please let us know.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I'm so relieved to hear you've gotten sorted but so sorry you've had such complications. Hopefully things will proceed in a more straightforward manner for you. Sounds like your Children have a good sense of humour like yourself. Hang in there and get better soon. :)
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Anna
    How are things today? I hope you are feeling a bit better. Let us know how you are progressing.

Joan
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Anna!
    I can't get that picture of the face on your kne out of my head :!: :shock:
    You'll end up going back to see the consultant with it on as you won't be able to scrub it off will you?! OUch!!!!
    Seriously though so glad you are home - now all you have to do is rest and recover.
    Good luck and look forward to hearing your progress.
    Toni x
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Sorry that you've had a tough time of it.
    I have been quite lucky and think I had my arthroscopy a day after yours. I am starting to walk on it today and had bandages off yesterday to find only 2 incisions. I thought they would do 3/4.
    I hope you start feeling better soon. x
  • anaabh
    Options
    bailey27 wrote:
    Sorry that you've had a tough time of it.
    I have been quite lucky and think I had my arthroscopy a day after yours. I am starting to walk on it today and had bandages off yesterday to find only 2 incisions. I thought they would do 3/4.
    I hope you start feeling better soon. x

Hi Bailey

So pleased it's going well, I'm still on crutches and struggling at night cos I wake up everytime I move!

What is your bruising like? My whole knee is a sort of bluey black with yellow round the edges at the moment. My 5yr old asked if I was changing colour :)

I'm gonna watch your posts as you seem to be doing so well and It'll give me something to aspire to! :lol:

Anna
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    There is a small amount of swelling and brusing near the incisions but nothing lese really. I had the bandages off yesterday and was expecting to see something really yukky, but i was pleasantly surprised as it looks quite clean and not much brusing at all.
    I have paper stitiches on the wounds which I am having off on thrusday (I am dreading this as it looks like they are caked in blood and yukky stuff and am really nervous that they are going to yank it off and it will hurt - hopefully the nurse will wet it with some nice soapy wamr water first!)
    I had a swollen foot and ankle on the weekend which was quite worrying as I couldn't see any of the bones in my ankle or foot and I am usually quite boney there. It has cleared up now though. the doctor said it was from where fluid runs down the leg and cant get back up because of the tight bandages.
    All in all tough I am recvering quite well, I cant grumble really knowing you're having a rough time of it.
    I found it is helped by keeping it moving when your sat down. Keep it up but try and bend the knee as much and often as possible. This will help blood flow to the areas that are damages which will then speed up recovery but also minimise scar tissue. I have learnt that quite often scar tissue can be as much pain as the injury as you have to quite literally tear it in order to get the knee moving again. Prevent the scar tissue building up too much and keep it moving. I have found this has helped a treat.

I hope you feel much better soon. Take care! x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Anna

I hope you are beginning to feel better today. I had the same bruising as you, all the colours of the rainbow :!: :lol: Some people bruise more easily than others, I think.

I think the paper bits mentioned by Bailey cover self-dissolving stitches, which is what I had. They come off quite easily-at least mine did.

All the best

Joan
  • anaabh
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Anna

I hope you are beginning to feel better today. I had the same bruising as you, all the colours of the rainbow :!: :lol: Some people bruise more easily than others, I think.

I think the paper bits mentioned by Bailey cover self-dissolving stitches, which is what I had. They come off quite easily-at least mine did.

All the best

Joan

Hi Joan

Yes at last I'm starting to feel a bit better, apart from bashing my knee on a wooden table and turning the air blue!

I've got the old style stitches in. The miserable pratice nurse (do they come in any other styles I wonder?) will remove them next week.

Keep eyeing up my car and wondering when I'll be driving again. The doctor had originally said to give it a few days but I think it could be a while!

Anna x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Anna
    Glad to hear that you are feeling better today, although banging your knee on a table wasn't too good :!:

I didn't try driving for a few weeks because it was my left knee, and I didn't want to put pressure on it when putting my foot on the clutch. With the bursitis I got in my hip, I couldn't sit for long in the car anyway. Now I just drive as usual, so I'm sure you will soon.

All the best

Joan :D
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Hi Anna and Bailey

I haven't been able to get onto the forum for a while so missed your updates about your arthroscopies.

I do hope you're both continuing to improve. Reading your posts I think I had quite an easy time of it with my 2 arthroscopies but, as someone else said, we are all different and our bodies react differently to these intrusions!

Take care, all the best

Wendy
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Anna

Just wondered how you are today. I hope you are becoming more mobile,and not in any pain. I'm sure you will feel a bit better each day.

All the best

Joan
  • anaabh
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Anna

Just wondered how you are today. I hope you are becoming more mobile,and not in any pain. I'm sure you will feel a bit better each day.

All the best

Joan

Hi Joan

Thanks for asking, I'm feeling sooo much better now. My lovely black knee bruise is now sliding gracefully down my shin and has almost reached my ankle. The swelling has gone down a lot and the pain, for all you ladies out there, is like a bad period pain, for the gentlemen, it hurts! :lol:

Only using one crutch now and am eyeing the car up with a view to eventual escape.

Back to my old positive self thank goodness.

Love
    Anna
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Anna

I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend. Ouch :!: :!: I used to get terrible period pains, so I hope your pain isn't as bad as that :!: Thank goodness, that is one thing I don't have to worry about any more. :lol: Be careful regards the driving as it does put quite a bit of pressure on the joint.

Joan